QOTD: Are You Going Windows 7 from Vista or XP?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I'm more than happy with Vista. I'm only upgrading to Windows 8. I went from XP to Vista because there was a significant difference. There isn't enough difference between W7 and Vista for me to change. I got the Beta when it was released. I had both Vista and W7. Even then I preferred Vista - when I had W7 for free. I'm certainly not getting W7.

t85us

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
ubuntu 9.04 is enough for me, won't go back to xp. windows 7 will cost more than windows vista, which costs more than windows xp, but won't be able to do more (running programs, browse the internet, sending email, synchronyzing mobile phone, etc)

Upendra09

Distinguished
XP to Win 7

I heard bad things from Vista and i didn't see much benefits for me so i didn't upgrade but Win 7 really looks promising to me. I love XP right now... It is just very reliable, Vista had a bad history though. Definitely going to Win 7, looks like another XP, an OS that can last years of faithful reliable use.

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Probably just stay with Vista64.Trying the 7 rc now and so far its just Vista with a different shade of lipstick.

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I'm going from Windows XP Professional SP3 to Windows 7 Ultimate Edition once it is officially released. I'm currently testing the Windows 7 RC1 Ultimate Edition, just released publically the other day. So far so good! Big thumbs up to Microsoft so far. I'm hoping things continue in a positive direction and that most, if not all of my apps that run on XP, also run on 7 or in XPM utilizing VT. My Athlon 64 X2 5600+ supports it so I'm good to go. :)

-- MaSoP

G

XP Pro 32 to Win 7 Ultimate RC 32. Running dual boot with two WD hard drives, one OS per drive. All of my work-related programs run only on XP Pro and IE6, and Win 7 came with IE8 which is completely incompatible with my work-related stuff, and there doesn't seem to be any way to roll IE back in Win 7.

I strongly resisted Vista, and I'm glad that I did. Win 7 seems quite nice so far, although trying to install SUPERAntiSpyware gets the IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR EQUAL BSOD, and ZoneAlarm tells me that I need to download SP1 to allow the installation (it must think I'm in an XP environment.)

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UP3P, E8500, 4GB OCZ 1066, EVGA 9800GTX+

silenteagle

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Currently running XP 64bit. Ill be moving to 7 once some issues are fixed, no fault of microsoft but of the games i play and their anti-hack protection not working on 7 at all, thus not being able to play anything. Since i use my PC for games well obviously ill wait on 7 until i can actually use it for the games i play.

The only thing about 7 that upset me was that i couldnt make folders "unsorted" with manual placement and being unable to move files within the same folder. Sure you can do it on the desktop, but not in folders... Ill get over that eventually but ill miss it (one of my favorite features that is in XP and even in Vista). Not sure why they removed it but they said it was by design and they wont be adding it.

JPSAN

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I have FULLY switched to Win7 from Vista Home Premium.. Found it just works ALMOST without issues..NORTON 360 will not function 100%..Have been
working with Symantec on driver loading issue..Patch due out soon. Otherwise I like the look and feel..It recognized 4 gig memory. Astronomy program Stellarium runs slow..Again wireless, printers and everything else works great. Both laptops took Win7 without any drivers needed from the outside. Both installed and boots Win7 perfectly.

rembo666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I'm switching to Vista from both XP and Vista. I had Vista 64 on my work machine and on my main gaming computer. I run WinXP Home on my laptop and my CarPC. I already use Win7 RC on my main machine. I will be switching all my computers to Win7 soon, as I get time to reinstall everything. In the end I will be buying Professional for my main computer, Home Premium for my laptop, and Starter for my CarPC (OEM versions of course). I may or may not switch my main production PC at work to Win7 before release, mostly depending on whether I can afford to spend a day reloading everything on it. I'm a developer and it will be valuable to get some testing in on the new platform.

I think ppl that complain that interface is "dumbed down" are just afraid to learn new things. Win7 has all the same things XP does and more. Some of those things are just in a different place. I found that the new interface increases my productivity: I like the shortcut keys to move windows around my monitors, the new taskbar, the search feature for the Start menu (I know Vista has it too, but Win7 doesn't bog down your computer and cancel out some of the good things it has like Vista did), Aero Peek, and the ability to connect to VPN by right-clicking on the Networking icon (I know it's a small feature, but for some reason I love this one the most :) ).

Call me Microsoft whore, but I love Windows 7. I think if you take a little time to adjust to the new way of doing things, you'll find that it works much better than XP.

Six family PCs to maintain, 4 w/XP + 2 w/Vista.

There was nothing (useful) new in Vista.

There is nothing (useful) new in Win7.

I don't need to waste my time re-learning where all the commands are after MS performs its triennial interface shuffle and markets it as a "new Windows experience". Until I must.

Any new builds will get Win7. Old builds will get Win7 if/when something doesn't work.

Why would anyone practical do anything else lol?

option350z

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]derek2006[/nom]I was using Vista and really liked it. I just installed win7 to try it a few days ago and it deactivated my Vista. Online activation gives me the error 0x88008EFE. Tried phone activation and my call would be dropped after 5 minutes of waiting. Pissed me off. So to answer your question, I am sticking with windows 7 RC1 already.[/citation]
They recommend a fresh install and not to upgrade because of that reason. So you probably missed that notice when you downloaded the iso file.

unclesmonkey

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Maybe you don't want to upgrade at all.
You think?

Then why isn't that part of the question of the day? Maybe i'm going from another OS family to Windows 7. Maybe i'm not going to decide whether or not to buy a new OS until it actually comes out and i have some idea how much it will cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.