QOTD: Do You Shut Off Your PC At Night?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huttfuzz

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Always on unless i leave for something like 24 hours or more, this is the green side of me that took over, back when i had my P4 and older systems, it was always on, back to my 486!

G

I find that I have more issues with my scsi RAID drives powering up after a complete shut down.

Now I leave my system on 24/7 and I only shut it down when I am away on business.

Spazzy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
I always turn my pc off when not in use......WEAR AND TEAR??????This is not a car engine, people. There is no delay in lubrication that would cause excessive wear! This whole thing is a myth. If you want virtually instant access, then put it to sleep. Me, I can wait the 40 seconds it takes to be fully loaded from a full off state. It gives me time to make my cup of coffee. And yes, I have had a couple of pc's last me for more than five years even though I shut them off. One of those pc's I sold to a friend 4 years ago, and it is still running strong.

SHUT THEM OFF OR PUT THEM TO SLEEP. SAVES THE ENVIRONMENT AND YOU!!!!

SoylentGreen

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
The whole starting-stopping thing is bunk because nobody keeps computer hardware long enough for it to actually matter. You'd have to start-stop for many years for any damage to start occurring, and most of us have upgraded by then anyway.

And yes I turn mine off at night, because my case has bright LED fans and lights, and it's too loud.

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I used to before my accident but now I run two of them all of the time. It has nothing to do with wear and tear but more about being able to turn on my lights, warm up the water, wake me up, turn on the television, etc. They run my security, monitor my appliances, tell me when someone is in a certain room and when there not. To shut down my sytem would leave me trully handicapped.

Naw-yi

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
ive turned on/off mine at least 4 times everyday for the last 2 years. and off at night unless im downloading. wear and tear doesnt apply too much i think, sometimes u just get a bad hd or motherboard, etc. never had to replace just upgraded.

G

On all time mainly coz I get extra downloads at night so thats when all my torrents take off. The odd time I am not downloading I just leave it running. I am off and on it all day kinda add'ish lol.

I sorta agree with the wear and tear thing but Have to mention My Dad turns his off and on at least once a day and He has an 8 year old athlon 2000xp system and the only thing to die recently was the cpu fan which was cheap to replace and the 1st thing that died on my old 2000xp system so that was a bit wierd. Anyways no normal person keeps a pc this long so i'd say off and on is fine but always on is a lot more convenient.

Surely with SSD and windows 7 ect almost instant boots aren't too far off, then maybe I'll turn it off sometimes.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Always turn my computer off at night - if it is not off, it is in sleep mode. Rarely, but it happens, I leave my computer on to finish downloading a torrent or finish installing something.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
far more sensitive to on/off cycles than hard drives: the cheap rocker and pushbutton switches used on monitors and power supplies. If you shut down, at least do it in software instead of actuating those failure-prone switches.

I put my desktop to sleep, because it's in my room and since it's sitting open-air on my desk, it is indeed quite loud...couple it with a GTS 250, and the incentives for turning it off are greater than the wear.

My laptop stays on a lot though, doing torrents.

elkad

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
Always on. Monitor gets to shut off after 20 minutes, but nothing else does.

If they woke up faster, I might let them suspend from time to time. But when I want a phone number, or to look at the weather, I don't want to wait 30seconds for my computer to wake back up. And the network is useless if I have to walk down the hall to wake up the machine with the file I want on it.

Not like leaving it on has any effect on the power bill in the winter anyway. Every electrical device is a heater in the end. So turning them off isn't any "greener" either.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... i turn off my pc just for hardware update and when there iz a blackout... and because of a psychological trauma... somebody told me, that AMD rig can not run longer than a weak without a restart... last time i restarted 27.03.2009... my system works also as a some kind of home media server...

Status
Not open for further replies.