QOTD: Do You Take Your PC to LAN Parties?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonfang18

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Oh... about the question... Never been to a LAN party, dont know what its like, since I dont know where any are held near me, never will. I just game online, its still enjoyable.

migs008

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
This country needs bigger and more internet cafes. Countries in asia have like internet cafes with at least 20 coms every 50ft. You could just seat anywhere and join a game. Mostly people play DOTA in the Philippines. People shouting, cussing and occasionally turning into a fist fight. How I miss those times.

check some info about it: http://www.gossipgamers.com/dota-philippines-most-played-pc-game/ or google it whatever if u dont like linking

infernal617

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
LAN party ! Springs so many memories into mind... Used to bring all the setup but got irritated at the thought of having to reconnect the whole thing afterwards. I solved the issue, I bought a nice laptop to fill in this specific need. I now only bring me laptop at those lans, sometimes I will bring in a screen though but not more than this.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]wusy[/nom]How else are you suppose to leech TB of data if you don't bring your rig?[/citation]
Your hdd, a dock, and maybe a netbook.

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
yes, but i wish there was more emphasis on security and keeping track of the hardware. i'll be at Quakecon this year.

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Yeah, I'm in a LAN group. We meet once a month but its like 50 of us. Plus, we coordinate which which games we want to play. Plus, others bring X360s and projectors. Seriously, LANs are the best thing ever. Even been to Quakecon and MLG (MLG blows though, bunch of Halo nerds now). But yeah, I bring my case, 24" monitor, gaming keyboard and mouse. You can always do online, but every once in a while get out of the house lazy @$$es!!

joemamasmurf

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Heck yes, back in the day , used to carry my full tower chieftec to LAN's. It wss a pain, seeing as how it weighled close to 100 lbs, but it was always worth it.

wusy

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005

I bring two rigs to every local LAN I attend which they allow. One is my mATX sized HTPC&NAS which has 4x1TB so far(still expanding) and the other is my watercooled main rig for gaming.

It has a lot to do with speed also. The 4x1TB are now running on a Dell PERC 5/i 512MB (flashed to LSI) in RAID5. Before it was running on ICH9-R and the software RAID5 was just getting hammered by constant writes and reads.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
All through college me and 4 or 5 of my friends would get together for like days maybe a week at a time. Mountain Dew by the case, stacks of frozen pizzas, 3 or 4 hours of sleep a night, camped out in campers, 10x10 bedrooms or dining rooms(where ever we found a little room), and digitally bleeding your buddies dry all night long. Oh yeah I'd lug my rig, keyboard mouse and 17 CRT any where in a 50 mile radius for a good lan party. Sadly now that I own a sweet (and super light) 20in LCD i've got rent and damn full time job. oh well

G

I don't. The most I'll take with me is my EeePc 701 to play DOS games or cards. I'm not a LAN party gamer. But if I would be I'd be searching for a mini HTPC; cube sized, or take a regular notebook with integrated graphics other than Intel graphics (AMD or NVidia).

yoda8232

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
No I don't, there are no LAN parties near me. And the good ones are far away and I don't have any money to go their hence I'm in high school.

I'll be lanning later on when I live buy by myself with my own kickass LAN party rig made for bring it around.

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I used to go to LAN parties thrown by my close friends, usually about 5-10 of us. But now that we are out of high school and some have jobs, school, wives. It's too hard to get everyone together at one time. Plus my computer sucks, need an upgrade. can't wait for starcraft2!

BallistaMan

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Done a few small scale LAN parties, but like a number of people have mentioned, I'm terrified that I'm going to kill my computer hauling it around. When in the car I have it surrounded by a towel and then resting on 6 inch padding with pillows holding it in place.

Yes I'm that paranoid.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Yep, and not in a pansy "light" or "lan-ready" case.... I tote around a heavy ass Antec P-180 and a 22" monitor. MUHAHAHA weaklings make me giggle.

lol. I'm only half kiddin'

JustinHD81

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Never really got a chance, used to take my rig to my cousins for some Q3A or UT. Now, work, wife, son....well, maybe when the kid gets a bit older.

Status
Not open for further replies.