QOTD: Do You Take Your PC to LAN Parties?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rage machine

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
no one does that around me anymore. not even lan parties for consoles. I really wish they were still going on, i miss the sweat pounding action while you all drink like 12 mountain dews each. Good times, good times

='[

icebug

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I host a LAN party twice a year In Iowa so I bring my computer and a server or two
I also have a computer that i use exclusively for LAN parties so I don't have to unhook my main rig
I also have spare cables and input devices sitting in a bad ready to be taken out the door!

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
When i didn't have broadband i used to go to a few a year and now that im no longer in school i don't anymore mostly i host them and i have a 24port hub in the front room and i drag out my 100 Foot Cables so i can have friends over no more than 10

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Certainly don't take it anywhere to publicly announced lan parties. That could have some financial consequences I'm not willing to face. But a social get together with a few buddies and their second girlfriend, sure.

xizel

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Everytome there is one in Portugal im there :) ohh and my rig also... but that 19" CRT really neads to be upgraded

knightmike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Ahhh, LAN parties...Fun while they lasted. Nobody wants to host 1000W PSUs anymore. Nowadays, we have broadband internet and voice communication. It's almost the same thing.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Yep, I sure do. I bring it to WORK sometimes too. TT Armor weighing in at 55lbs. Just lay it on its side - window facing up - and everything will be fine during transport :)

Rokitty

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
I host 10-20 people LAN's in a clubhouse I rent about 3 times a year, people whine about taking all there stuff down.....and next thing ya know, it's been 3 minutes and your torn down haha! I used to bring my Full Tower Thermaltake Xaser, now I run a Tsunami, much easier to carry, but either way, tons of fun at LAN Party's! Can't wiat till our's this Saturday!@!

flightmare

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Well, not on a big scale. But my friends and I do host LAN-parties multiple times a year. 8-12 friends. Nothing beats gaming with your friends in the same room imo.

lumx

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I do go to LAN parties here in Kosovo where i live, I go there with my laptop even thought LAN Parties are not so big in here but fun.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I haven't been to a LAN party since the 90's. Do people still do that? What for? Are there new games out that support that? Lets get together and play WarCraft 3 or something do you all still own copies?

rhade

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
YES, We have a Lan Party once a month some times in person, other times remote, where my friends in south Florida take on my old friends in Michigan. I've been going to or hosting a Lan Party for over 10 years, I only had a XBox 360 Lan Party when Halo 3 first came out, since then it has all been 100% PC. What are we playing now: Left 4 Dead, Unreal Tournament 3, Supream Commander Forged Alliance, and C.O.D.4. Every once and a while we will play some F.E.A.R. Combat, Star Trek Armada II, Serious Sam II, Battlefield 1942, Vietnam, 2, 2142, UT2004, Starcraft, Warcraft II & III, and Quake 3 Arena to name a few.

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
No. I have a Gateway FX Laptop and it goes with me. Where I live the LAN party is a business for some. They have big rooms with monitors you can hook up to, (22" LCD) and keyboards and mice to use, (Razer Lycosa keyboard and Razer Deathadder mouse.) All you bring is the computer, headset, and whatever else you may want to have. And since there is not much difference in 1680 x 1050 and 1920 x 1080 on a 22" monitor I just take a laptop.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
used too. That was a lot of fun getting together with friends and everyone to play games well into the early morning hours. With mmo's and teamspeak there really is no reason to lug all that stuff around anymore. We still get together, but it is about once a year now. To be honest there is nothing like being physically there amongst friends enjoying good games, drink, and just having a great time.

G

I've got space as well as a pretty monstrous full-tower rig (big, but OLD). So I host! /agree that there's no way to duplicate online the experience of gaming with friends in the same physical space.

Status
Not open for further replies.