QOTD: Do You Think Moon Landing Was Faked?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
If you look at the picture where the cross thing is in the picture in the history books, part of the cross thing is actually pictured as being behind the rock. That is one obvious error in their, we went to the moon story. Look it up.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I don't. Hobbyists have been able to land on the moon for years for a lot less money than it costs NASA, just the US government won't allow it.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
The single most hysterical thing about this particularly dumb conspiracy is that it is so completely unoriginal as to be ludicrous. HOLLYWOOD THOUGHT IT UP, TOO.

Those of us who are antique-y enough to have grown up during that period, ought to remember the movie "Capricorn One". The movie is the basis of almost every aspect of this particular legend.
Given that people over the years have looked at the moon with the big telescopes at Palomar and Hawaii AND the Hubble and can see the remnants of the landing areas and the lower stage of the lunar-landers that remained behind, one would think this insanity would have ended long ago. *sigh*

rmirwin2

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I think the suggestion it was faked is rediculous.

Anyone really have another explanation for the collection of moon rocks in Houston, reflections coming from retroreflectors left there, gobs of data including photos, video, and peer-reviewed scientific studies. Seems to me the same people might as well argue the moon is just as flat as the earth.

This wasn't the search for bigfoot, folks. Numerous people went there, walked on it, and brought the evidence back. The evidence remains in plain view. Get over it.

Those looking for perfection in data from the sensors constructed in the '60's would seem to have little appreciation for the frailties, difficulties, and risks faced by those who contributed their lives to delivering us to where we are today.

That this question persists seems like yet another indication of how poor the system of education has been in this country in the years since that historic achievement.

Rich

joesapp37

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
If NASA lost those tapes, why can't they make new sex tapes on the moon? Or is the US too broke? Sign me up to be an asstronaut.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
i know it wasnt faked for a fact....anyone with a decent telescope ( im talking a big one with a mirror for a lense, but small enought to own at home) can see the lunar rover and other items left behind on a clear mid winters night.... i really dont think those items would be there if we weren't.... i personally havent seen the flag, but ive seen the rover and the bottom of the landing craft, so i imagine the only reason i may not be able to see the flag is the angle being it should be right by the landing pod.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I think it's real, they walked on the moon.

It is funky that they would delete the footage however saying @ the time it didn't seem important to keep it? HAHA, OK!

Also i do find it odd that they have not returned....But they do plan to return in 2020

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/07/20/nasa.future.human.exploration/index.html

""Today, NASA is working to return astronauts to the moon by 2020 and establish a lunar base that would allow them to stay on the desolate surface for up to six months by 2025.""

cldebuhr

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Oh, for the love of GOD - why are people still asking this? And why does Tom's waste our time? I've only got two comment here:

1) Anyone over the age of six who has any doubts whatsoever at this point about the moon landing is clinically retarded.

2) "Vast conspiricy" is pretty much an oxymoron. One of the few things more insane than believing the moon landing was faked is believing they could have kept a few hundred thousand contractors and civillian scientists quiet about it all these years.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
but then again those idiots that believe this was faked are the same people that say the Holocaust never happened, and also the same people that will stick with 32 bit windows instead of 64 bit because there is no need for it...( see previous QOTD!!!!)

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Rooket. I refuse to believe that. Sure they might be able to make it to space..but land on the moon, no.

If they really could do it and wanted to, even if the US government wouldn't allow it, I am certain there are plenty of other countries that will. Saying they can do something is not proof they can do it.

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Actually the conspiracies around the Apollo lunar landing are quite interesting. For instance skeptics of the lunar landing state the technology simply wasn't their and the lander itself was not situated for the moon. One good example is the lunar lander having not enough radiation shielding to absorb all the solar wind which the probe would have to absorb.

Then their is a whole different camp of conspiracy theorists who say yes we landed on moon and we found life but nasa covered it up. I don't know the youtube videos are pretty grainy so the evidence photos aren't that good.

So I'm inclined to believe that based on the evidence it does look that U.S landed on the moon.

On another note have you see some of the youtube videos of the "alien" faces they seen with the latest mars rover. Their worth a look.

G

It seems like all the conspiracy theorists point to the technology of the 60s as the biggest example proof that the moon landing was faked. Those people also seem to forget that things were made a lot more durable and simplistic back then. One of the best examples I can give is the VW beetle. Mine is from the early 60’s and it still gets better gas mileage than some hybrid cars on the road today, and to top it off it was designed back in the 30’s prior to WWII. Are you going to tell me that the car is a conspiracy also, because nothing can do better that today’s hybrids with all of their modern technology?

What has really happened at NASA was not a conspiracy to cover up a fake moon landing; it is that NASA (and the American people in general) have become complacent to launch satellites and run university science experiments instead of really exploring the space or pushing to achieve a milestone like a Mars landing. We are no longer looking to expand our horizons and to achieve something as great as the moon landing, we have simply become content to sit around and play Xbox, use some recreational drugs, and come up with the crazy conspiracy theories, like the moon landing was fake.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]valcron[/nom]Rooket. I refuse to believe that. Sure they might be able to make it to space..but land on the moon, no. If they really could do it and wanted to, even if the US government wouldn't allow it, I am certain there are plenty of other countries that will. Saying they can do something is not proof they can do it.[/citation]
12 People have walked the moon on 6 different occasions between 1969 and 1972..
what is so difficult?

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
It doesn't really matter if i believe it was real or not, what bothers me though are all those people with no doubt on their minds.
Its not healthy to accept without questioning.
The original moon landing is as hard to proof as it is to disproof if only because non of us where actually there thus none of us should be convinced without a doubt that it was real.

Any evidence of the landing could be faked including the radio signals.
Still we humans did some pretty awesome stuff thus really who knows ?

Any one who believes it at least be open for the fact that the only thing that is sure is that nothing is for sure (that and the end).
For those who tend not to believe it at least be open to the fact that even if your right there is no way to proof it.

cah027

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I think they went to the moon. I do think it is possible that it could have been faked but I still think they did it.

As far as people saying, "How could they have done it with such old tech equipment". Well lets put it this way, how long were the stealth bombers made before Joe public knew anything about them ? I just heard on the news the other day, that the Senate is thinking about retiring the F22 Raptor. Doesn't seem like they have been in service that long does it? They were probabl developed years before any of us heard about them.

There are probably some inconsistencies about the whole moon mission because the gov needs to cover up secrets about their technology. I think most of the Alien sitings are probably man made aircraft (secret aircraft).

Also...in 2000 years the apes will rule! aaarrrrhhH!!!!!

DarkMantle

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
hemelskonijn, why shouldn't I have no doubt in my mind that the moon landing happened when ALL the evidence says we did?

I have no doubt in my mind that you are a narrow minded idiot, all the evidence says you are, it is right here on every single one of your posts.

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]hemelskonijn[/nom]It doesn't really matter if i believe it was real or not, what bothers me though are all those people with no doubt on their minds.Its not healthy to accept without questioning.[/citation]
It's called being RELIGIOUS. :( You are seeing people on both sides of that religion here. If you can label someone, you can DISmiss them, no thinking required or allowed.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
kami3k:

Well first i don't reply sounding as an idiot and at least try to reply with respect which you really are not making to easy.

If you read my post i stated that all the evidence can be faked ignoring that fact would be like writing "i am god" on a piece of paper and then believing you are.
Anything can be faked an i am not saying it is i am merely stating that knowing that you cant be sure of anything thus there is no use of pushing either side.

ThePatriot

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Reflectors have been placed by the Russians on Rover missions.
So the LLR's are no proof by themselves that they were placed by humans and hence is no proof humans walked on the moon.
Erasing the original tapes sure helps feeding the controversy.
And Mythbusters? Are you serious?

So it comes down to belief..... it is a bit like religion.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Ru4R3aL[/nom]It seems like all the conspiracy theorists point to the technology of the 60s as the biggest example proof that the moon landing was faked. Those people also seem to forget that things were made a lot more durable and simplistic back then. One of the best examples I can give is the VW beetle. Mine is from the early 60’s and it still gets better gas mileage than some hybrid cars on the road today, and to top it off it was designed back in the 30’s prior to WWII. Are you going to tell me that the car is a conspiracy also, because nothing can do better that today’s hybrids with all of their modern technology? What has really happened at NASA was not a conspiracy to cover up a fake moon landing; it is that NASA (and the American people in general) have become complacent to launch satellites and run university science experiments instead of really exploring the space or pushing to achieve a milestone like a Mars landing. We are no longer looking to expand our horizons and to achieve something as great as the moon landing, we have simply become content to sit around and play Xbox, use some recreational drugs, and come up with the crazy conspiracy theories, like the moon landing was fake.[/citation]

Touche, so very well put....

[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]nice personal attack ass hat. You would be first in line to say the Earth is flat 1000 years ago, DickFace. If you read my posts then you would see that I believe we went there but I do look and try to understand why people think otherwise. If you have ever heard of proof by contradiction?[/citation]

does anyone actually kiss that mouth of yours? i feel i am one of the most sarcastic and abusive people on these boards, AND I DONT RESORT TO THE LANGUAGE LEVEL YOU DO...YOU LACK INTELLIGENCE... or you wouldve made the same point without the childish words

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]ThePatriot[/nom]Reflectors have been placed by the Russians on Rover missions.So the LLR's are no proof by themselves that they were placed by humans and hence is no proof humans walked on the moon.Erasing the original tapes sure helps feeding the controversy.And Mythbusters? Are you serious?So it comes down to belief..... it is a bit like religion.[/citation]
I guess, in the same way that thinking WWII happened vs. WWII never happened and it's a conspiracy to make people think otherwise comes down to belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.