QOTD: Do You Want Nvidia to Make CPUs?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFace

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
I don't believe nVidia has much choice. Right now is an evolve or die time. Their two major competitors can offer a whole platform, and all they have is graphics/mobo.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Considering nvidia's vision of how cpu's and gpu's should function in your computer, making their own CPU's is probably one of their only serious options in making it a reality.

It will be interesting to see as they will probably make a synergy in the motherboard to balance load between the two when possible/reasonable. I feel the drivers would be a nightmare to program and make transparent to an OS but anything's possible.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
As long as there are fast mobo interfaces (PCIE 16x v.2) etc. Nvidia should focus on the main game. If they want to dabble in SOC for ultra low power niche fine. When Intel/AMD decide to not have a high speed slot because they can do graphics all by themselves, Nvidia need to pull a CPU rabbit out of their hat.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
[citation][nom]TheFace[/nom]I don't believe nVidia has much choice. Right now is an evolve or die time. Their two major competitors can offer a whole platform, and all they have is graphics/mobo.[/citation]

Their specialization is their comproved strength. They have no license to produce X86, and neither experience or decades of technological development around CPUs. The fact NVidia is independent from Intel and AMD also gives some advantage.
Also remember many AMD buyers prefer NVidia, and many Intel buyers prefer ATI...

Indubstylo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
With Hybrid GPU/CPU's on their way Nvidia has a slim chance of doing squat! Software companies would have to develop different versions of their software to match Nvidia's architecture. Without that, Nvidia doesn't have a chance. Even if Larrabee is not that great of a graphics chip, its only in relation to games. For General processing it would probably do just as good as Nvidia's chip. Not to mention that AMD/ATI is cooking up something amazing with ONLIVE gaming. Nvidia is feeling its mortality and is desperate. (

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]NVidia can have an advantage with CPU's. just use one of there GPU's and slap some x86 and AMD64 instruction sets in there and sell it as a gaming CPU[/citation]

that's not really how it works... it would be nice though!

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Thats a stupid fucking question. Who doesn't want more competition? Where's the debate in this. Please try to make your Questions of the Day more controversial.

G

I personally want Nvidia to make RELIABLE and fast Graphics cards which they are having some problems doing this already. they wont be able to do that if they are making unreliable and inferior Cpu's expanding is going to make it all worse, im havung trouble buying NVidia, or my clients for that matter as they have pretty good cards
seriously what is Nvidia's play here, why are they even bothering to compete with the 2 companies that are the best. I hate to say it Via just did amomo

G

Yes, of course nVidia should enter the CPU market. And as others have said it will lead to more competition, more innovation, more technological advancement and of course more rationalized prices. The battle and the contentious license issue between Intel and nVidia will become more intense. It will interesting......

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
No.
It would likely be for the best... but...
I already have 2 companies to look around for a upgrade. This can make it confusing. :)
Maybe if, say, all MOBOs but the high-end were generalized for Intel, AMD, and Nvidia.

kayawish24

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
yes= when their prices of new cpu are cheaper then that of intel and Amd cpus.

No = if their cpu are expensive then that of intel and amd cpuz

weaponx26

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
this could mean a new generation of P.C.s that cost next to nothing no contracts to sign or red tape bull nVidia C.P.U.on an nVidia motherboard with an nVidia graphics card bundled. A company like Xfx or Asus who already make both cards and Mainboards based on this companies chipsets could distribute them. The flip side though would be akin to the blissful ignorance that comes with new Mac and Windows P.C. owners if Safari/IE iTunes/Media player is part of it why try or know about someone else.

G

I'm not a huge fan of Nvidia as a company since they proved themselves to be very Intel-like themselves when they tried to rip people off for $600 for their GTX-280 just because they thought they had the market cornered.

Still, not competition is bad competition. I say give them a shot. If they can come up with a good CPU and reasonable prices (and aren't Intel) then I'd certainly be willing to buy their products.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Yes

...if it is a completely seperate division of the company and in no way effected the graphics division or detracted from it. (sharing beneficial knowledge between divisions of course would be ok)

the graphics division should also remain the top priority until much farther down the road, then if the cpu division actually managed to gain a foothold things could be properly reevaluated.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
ABSOLUTELY!

Competition in price and more importantly in new ways of looking at CPU design; the x86 (or x64) shouldn't become the last thing in desktop computer architecture, I hope Nvidia can shake that up.

I find it rather 2-faced that Intel whines about Nvidia getting in to the CPU field and then releases a GPU. Puh-lease!

nunasdream

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Yes, in the real possibility AMD went under, we'd still have competition for Intel, I shudder to think what would happen if AMD never released the Athlon, we'd probably still be using 3Ghz Pentium 4s that cost $500 LOL.

arkhon

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I don't really care much one way or the other. I doubt they could license the x86 technology from Intel, in any case. Just look at the rivalry that's been going on between the two companies now, even though nVidia makes GPUs and Intel makes CPUs and they aren't direct competitors anyway. I think Intel would be even bigger assholes to nVidia if they ever went into the CPU business.

leon2006

Distinguished
More competition is better for ALL. But the reality of the business don't favor Nvidia. Nvidia could have purchased AMD ~ years ago.

I have been in this industry for a long time... The truth is today

"Nvidia don't have the resources and technology to enter the CPU business."

Nvidia is a great GPU company but would it would lead to its own demise once it enters the CPU business.

The irony is Intel, AMD are going to CPU-GPU configuration. The GPU only business model is up in the air.

Intel & IBM remains the design and process technology leaders in the CPU market. AMD is there but is bleeding money. AMD is behind process technology R&D and is shifting to fabless business model.

Nvidia is losing money since the 4870 family came out... The CPU business is a bigger monster to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.