QOTD: Do You Want Questions From Readers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Why not have reader submitted QOTDs?

There, post that one! Nah, but seriously, I can't imagine Tuan can think of questions forever, but at the same time, if someone in the community has a truly insiteful and politically rousing question, it might be interesting to see the opinions of others.

On the other hand, we don't want 365 days of "What do you think of my build (posting newegg order TONIGHT!)?"

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Sounds like a lot of extra work for you guys . . .

But yes, I'm totally in favor of the idea. Hats off to you all for your creativity and production, but there's a ton of untapped potential within the readers who browse here every day. I say help them get involved with the site as much as possible, and everyone will be better off for it.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Jane, do you actually WANT to go through the eons and eons of useless interweb drivel? Do you WANT to sit in front of your computer reading the QOTD marked "I can haz moar pancakez"?

DO YOU WANT TO HAVE YOUR KEYBOARD BROKEN BY THE DROOL COMING FROM YOUR MOUTH AS YOU READ THE MINDLESS ARTICLES?!?!

DO YOU!?!

ok ok joking aside..

Like burnley14 said it sounds like alot of extra work for you guys, but if you pulled it off it would be pretty cool to say the least.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Sure. Just pick one that isn't stupid.

And if QOTD's get to be too much, just make QOTWeek. There's only so much we can discuss. :)

aalkema

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Why not? There is always a great discussion after a QOTD, nothing wrong with a few more. Just make sure they're well moderated, and have to pass through you folks in charge of the place first.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
If someone starts an interesting poll or posts and interesting topic for discussion in the forums, you could always put a link to it on the home page. Since this happens so infrequently, I see no reason to devote a lot of development changes to THG for it. :p

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]No. I want the crew at Toms. IE Jane, to conjur up their own ideas independent of the desires of her audience.[/citation]

Ohhh Jane you have an audience, way to go girl!! Now if that audience would please stop harping on you about some spelling errors that would be great.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]waikano[/nom]Ohhh Jane you have an audience, way to go girl!! Now if that audience would please stop harping on you about some spelling errors that would be great.[/citation]
I never got that, the way Jane puts out articles I can ignore a few small spelling errors. I mean C'mon, while we know Jane is the all-powerful dictionary-in-her-head ruler of the world, she IS only human...

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I foresee tremendous issues with reader submitted QOTD. We are all going to speak and ante up our $0.02 with the format you currently use (point proven) and most of those replies are not worth $0.02. (proven again)
Save us all the embarrassment and nix the idea now before it goes to far.

G

I think it sounds great. IMO the best approach would be to have an admin or moderator select a question that is appropriate and preferably something that would provoke plenty of interesting discussion.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Um, isn't that just a forum for one topic? Why not make a "QOTD" forum section and set the post number limit for topic starters to 2,000 or something? I think that having user-generated content would reduce Tom's credibility. We need a place where we can turn to for accurate and unbiased reviews and such. Right now I can go to my buddies and say "I found these results on Tom's" and they will take it. If we start seeing a bunch of user-generated stuff, the next time I say that they will laugh and I will be forced to kill myself. Is that what you want? ;)

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I think the QOTD is a good idea. Let people submit them and TH staff can chuck out the useless junk and post the questions.

yes there is a forum for such things, but the QOTD is easier to find as its on the main page - and I seldom visit the forums.

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
why not make one day per week user day. Pick a question, and let some of the more experienced and non biased forum people take a crack at the answer. I have been a tom's member since prior to 2000, and I would be happy to volunteer my time to help answer some pre screened questions.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
I have a question, not sure it would be considered of the Day.

Will we ever see Ben and Rob do Second Take again on Tom's Games in all it's Glory?

Man I miss those guys. What were the owners of THG thinking?

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
The questions would be moderated. We'd probably end up assigning an email address for you to mail suggestions to. We would never just let you guys have at it... As much as we trust you, the internet is full of very, very boring people and no one wants to be subjected to that.

We'd also be afraid people would use it to ask computer related questions specific to them like, "My cat peed on my keyboard, how do I dry it out?"

Anywho, I'll keep you guys posted and let you know when we decide anything.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]leo2kp[/nom]Um, isn't that just a forum for one topic? Why not make a "QOTD" forum section and set the post number limit for topic starters to 2,000 or something? I think that having user-generated content would reduce Tom's credibility. We need a place where we can turn to for accurate and unbiased reviews and such. Right now I can go to my buddies and say "I found these results on Tom's" and they will take it. If we start seeing a bunch of user-generated stuff, the next time I say that they will laugh and I will be forced to kill myself. Is that what you want?[/citation]

For now we're talking about one user generated question per day. We're not about to poison the entire river or anything. :)

Also, if we ever were to allow user-submitted content, it would be clearly marked as such.

echdskech

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
[citation][nom]DXrick[/nom]If someone starts an interesting poll or posts and interesting topic for discussion in the forums, you could always put a link to it on the home page. Since this happens so infrequently, I see no reason to devote a lot of development changes to THG for it.[/citation]

This actually sounds like a good approach to the problem. That said, user questions might be interesting if properly screened as most have suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.