QOTD: Do You Want Reader Submitted Content?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
At first I thought this would be great, but there are too many ways for user content to turn into a train wreck.

If the user content has to be approved by an editor to eliminate unsupported statements and ensure neutrality it has some potential. If there is any doubt about your ability to control the content then leave it in the forums. If necessary create a new forum specifically for this content.

Another danger is that user posted articles might turn into a marketing opportunity for vendors who want to subtly discredit the competition or promote themselves by posting a review.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Joe Blow's comments are available on any street corner, and are usually worth about as much as anything else one could get on a street corner.

auutumn

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Not unless it's been filtered and reviewed by a professional. There's too much crap and bias out in the world and I don't need nor want to hear about it.

G

Geez - Dirty Harry had the perfect expression for this :) "Opinions are like a--holes; everybody's got one". You might want to be careful how prominently you let them display them - you might not like what you see :D

Of course there are some people out there who can do top quality writing. You could use the stories from users as a way to screen candidates and nab yourselves great professional reviewers.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Would love to be the one to proof some of these articles. Reading some of the posts here, I can only imagine the quality writing these people would come up with... I would probably die laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.