QOTD: How Much Would You Pay for Uncapped Net?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryClown

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I'm paying extra (double!)already, just for a 10 GB/month cap. After that, I'm leaching off unsecured routers. :p

So, my answer is: $00.00

With the billions in profits and considering that Senior Management at most ISP's net millions of dollars a year in salaries and perks, there is no reason to pay anything more than existing monthly fees for uncapped access. Fact is, Comcast charging $50 per month for 6Mbps down is too much to begin with.

Rather than squeezing customers for more money or setting up a tiered user/payment structure, the ISP's should dump money into upgrading their infrastructure.

Leave the enforcement of DRM, bootlegging, and illegal downloads to the proper authorities and do not force the ISP's into playing

cah027

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I pay about $55 for cable internet now. Although I am not a big downloader I do upload files to my web sever and youtube .It takes forever at times. I wouldnt pay more for what I should already get. I think they should offer uncapped for the $55 and then create capped accounts options for less.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
First off, you know I thought when I paid for a connection I was paying for it 24/7. The ISP's sure treated it like it's 24/7. If it goes down a night they will give you a buck off if that. I also thought back in the day when I paid for a broadband connection it was for the most part mine to do what I wanted with as long as it was nothing illegal. And what I took from all this was that if I paid for "X" amount of MB's down and "X" amount of MB's up I could use ALL of my connection as MUCH as I could 24/7! WTF happened? Why sell these broadband connections if they do not want people to use them? So I can download 5GB's in 30 minutes and be done until next month? That's just ludicrous!

That said - my answer is $40 to $60 a month - for 8MB to 20MB download and 1MB to 5MB upload (more or parallel upload being better)

as others have said it all depends on the speed and other factors.

G

people piss me off. only if they are illegally downloading. i do not want anybody looking at what i am doing in my home on my computer. i watch all my tv by video streaming(my wife likes lost and what not). i watch all football games and baseball games through live streaming. all paid for. my only house phone is voip based and i transfer files back and forth with friends. my wife takes college cources and my daughter takes grade school cources. if we give a little now then we deserve nothing later (ben franklin said it better). i do get 15 down and 2 up for 29 bucks with no cap here in southeast USA

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
I kicked cable to the curb a few years ago because they had caps in place up here in Canada.Recently fired up a cable connection to see what the speeds where like and it was slower than my 7 mb dsl at the same price.

G

Hard caps seem crazy. If they are worried about their pipes being flooded, they should just throttle back high use customers about an arbitrary about of downloads.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
What the ISP's are doing is cashing in on the fact that everything is online now. Forget illegal downloading. Legitimate downloads (YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, etc) will take bandwidth and now the cable companies want a piece of the action. They know you have no choice but to go online for almost everything these days. Comcast does have the 250 gig cap but that's alot in my book. I have 5 computers at home and my router logged 20 gigs/mo of usage so I'm not worried. Now if Comcast wants to limit it further, then I will go to DSL. What's funny is they still don't have a webpage where you can check your usage. Like I said earlier, I would pay no more than $35-40 for 3-6 Mbps with unlimited bandwidth than pay more for capped. Let's not forget that I'm paying $100 for digital cable channels that I don't even care for. What about a la carte??

G

Exactly what I pay now as a RR customer...$15. The speed isn't the greatest, but it works.

If the caps were a little more realistic, I wouldn't complain about them, but $30 for 5GB of use a month will quickly be eaten up by my off peak Xbox Live usage. And I only play for about 30min to an hour a day.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Like many I simply won't bother with a capped service that charges for excess usage. I can handle the idea of a service that throttles down after a certain limit of downloads because that will still (in theory) be enough for the things I need to do.

Ultimately though $50-$60 is the most I would expect to pay for uncapped midhigh speed internet. Anything beyond that and I'll look for another provider, period.

The simple idea that capping might cause me to pay out money in order to receive spam in my email and see ads on websites I browse is completely unacceptable. It is the equivalent of buying stamps to pay for junk mail sent to your house.

rob_against_abuse

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
$39 per month for 5MB/s or higher with no caps and no throttling. Hell if CableOne would just honor their advertised speed 3MB/s for the $39 without caps and throttling I would be happy enough.

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Well, I've been on new telephone/internet provider for last ~2 years, bit less. I pay roughly 30$ for flat rate (uncapped) 3Mbps ADSL and telephone line (which I hardly use). My monstly bandiwth isn't huge, like 10-12GB monthly, even though we use YouTube a lot, and I sometimes download something that I need..

But I do want uncapped, just cos I don't want to get in "oops!" situation. And if I would have some service like Netflix here in Croatia, sure I'd use much more, and want uncapped even more!

30$ is price that is just fine for this service.. Maybe a bit more speed wouldn't be too bad, like 5Mbit, just so it's all "smooth" if we all use it at the same time around the house.. But uncapped is a must.

I'd rather have 3Mbit uncapped, than 100Mbit capped, for the same price! Unless "caps" are like 1TB monthly :)

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Well, I've been on new telephone/internet provider for last ~2 years, bit less. I pay roughly 30$ for flat rate (uncapped) 3Mbps ADSL and telephone line (which I hardly use). My monstly bandiwth isn't huge, like 10-12GB monthly, even though we use YouTube a lot, and I sometimes download something that I need..

But I do want uncapped, just cos I don't want to get in "oops!" situation. And if I would have some service like Netflix here in Croatia, sure I'd use much more, and want uncapped even more!

30$ is price that is just fine for this service.. Maybe a bit more speed wouldn't be too bad, like 5Mbit, just so it's all "smooth" if we all use it at the same time around the house.. But uncapped is a must.

I'd rather have 3Mbit uncapped, than 100Mbit capped, for the same price! Unless "caps" are like 1TB monthly :)

rembo666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I currently pay $42.95 for Comcast 12 Mbps connection with their $250 Gb limit. I think it would be fair to pay up to $60 for unlimited. I think the way they can do it is to increase the cap with the speed, but leave the maximum cap at $80 or so. $250Gb is enough for me and I imagine it's enough for most people. However, the 40Gb cap TimeWarner imposes is simply anti-competitive. They want people to pay for cable TV, not watch TV on the internet.

G

In the US this shouldn't even be a question. Aren't parts of the Economic Stimulus Package to expand broadband? Oh yeah that's right $7.2 billion, with a "B". Now ISP's who aren't even paying for their own backbone want to implement caps? This is ridiculous and needs to be stopped at the highest levels of Government. Kudos to New York Congressman Eric Massa but I think we need a more powerful champion for this cause.

rembo666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I think drawing a comparison with other countries is problematic. When I lived in Korea I paid $40 for 50 Mbps down / 10 Mbps up ADSL service. If I lived in a newer building, it would be 250/50. However, infrastructure costs in the US are much greater because of the lower population density. ADSL lines are only good for 100 meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.