QOTD: How Would You Change Your Browser?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

royalcrown

Distinguished
[citation][nom]lvlouro[/nom]Common you guys, do you really know your browsers? Don't ask for things that are already there... I'm not even talking of F11, that's been addressed...Firefox has that, just go to bookmarks-> organize bookmarks or ctrl+shift+b there's an option to import/backup bookmarks...If you want to import from IE justo to file-> import.As simple as that[/citation]

Never noticed that, thanks :)

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I am using Opera 10(beta still).

Its very nice as is... and what I would change, I already have since Opera is almost completely customizable. Skins, tool bars, button placement, etc.

The only thing I change (already did) is put the text (on page) Search window on the bottom left corner. Move the extra new buttons to the lower right (Booster, views). The only thing I would like would be a nice bigger button that that "NEXT" for text searching.

As is, Opera 10 is the best. Very clean, functional and excellent use of space.

G

The biggest thing i want in a browser currently is CONTROL. I want a way to see which parts of a web site are using which resources and turn them off. Or to kill individual parts of a page while leaving the rest intact.

Tired of scripts on various web sites killing performance. Too many buggy sites out there that screw with you. That along with the ever escalating war with advertisement. (and yes i know about using host files, no script addons, add blocking addons etc, i want more control myself to kill parts of a page, or see what parts of a page are doing)

Per element reloading would also be nice. Specifically for video sites, would be nice to reload just 1 thing on a page without reloading the entire page.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I'd like some sort of functionality where the browser would check for plug-in updates... similar to how Firefox manages its add-ons... except do that for Java, Flash, Shockwave, etc... all in one neat little box.

xyz001

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
i would make the "back" button as fast as closing a tab!

why do all browsers have to reload/re-render a page when you hit back??

xyz001

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
i would make the "back" button as fast as closing a tab!

why do all browsers have to reload/re-render a page when you hit back??

mcastaneda68

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
My browser of choice is Google Chrome, because it's speed to open from the time I click the icon on my quick access toolbar to the time when I can type the web address I want to go.

I would change 2 things:

- Attachments only meant for viewing once(i.e. slideshows) should not be saved in the "downloads" folder. They should be deleted when closing the browser.

- Increase compatibility with websites & tools designed for IE/FireFox (i.e. McAfee SiteAdvisor)

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Firefox needs a direct interface to Direct3Dl, OpenGL, and CUDA, so we can develop 3D for it.

also nneds faster web page saving to USB pen drive.

Nees the capability to save a group of linked pages, so you can save documents parted in many web page, as a single document.

It needs far better capability to resume downloads. Tools like Getright do not loose already downloaded parts of files if you interrup or loose the connection. Firefox have already some support for it, but does not work.

It also needs capability of download files from multiple mirrors, and asking more than one file part simultaneously.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]7amood[/nom]Chrome + Add ons = Killer BrowserCustomizations (moving buttons and tool bars) and custom themes would be cool.[/citation]

I'd use chrome if only it had the same functionality that googles own google toolbar provides on other browsers... until then it's firefox. Honestly, who at google thought it was a good idea not to make chrome work seamlessly with google bookmarks...

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]marraco[/nom].... It needs far better capability to resume downloads. Tools like Getright do not loose already downloaded parts of files if you interrup or loose the connection. Firefox have already some support for it, but does not work.It also needs capability of download files from multiple mirrors, and asking more than one file part simultaneously.[/citation]

You could just install the downthemall! plugin for firefox, which gives resume and multi-mirror support ... after all that's what the whole plug-in idea is about.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]I am using Opera 10(beta still).Its very nice as is... and what I would change, I already have since Opera is almost completely customizable. Skins, tool bars, button placement, etc.The only thing I change (already did) is put the text (on page) Search window on the bottom left corner. Move the extra new buttons to the lower right (Booster, views). The only thing I would like would be a nice bigger button that that "NEXT" for text searching.As is, Opera 10 is the best. Very clean, functional and excellent use of space.[/citation]

Tried Opera, the piss poor integration of google toolbar was the killer for me, but if I didn't find google toolbar to be the most efficient way for me personally to manage my mail, bookmarks, feeds etc, then it was an ok browser

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]awaken688[/nom]Basically take Chrome and add more support with plugins and webpage compatibility. Chrome has never crashed on me like FF3+ and runs so much faster than FF. I just don't miss Firefox since version 3+. On occasion though, Chrome doesn't work with a page and I have to bring FF3.5 up. Chrome also needs to make a couple things easier for basic functions. I love Chrome Speed, Layout, Start page (thumbnails of recent sites), and stability. If Google just takes it one step farther with capability, I'll be super happy.[/citation]

The thing that gets me though is that chrome is always tooted as being a very fast browser, but I expect if you pared down all the other browsers so that they only had the functionality of chrome I bet they would all be a hell of a lot faster too. I'd like to see how Chrome manages to maintain its (admittedly) impressive speeds when adding some of the functionality that it sorely needs.

G

- Reduce space for buttons and controls and menu bars. Nothing that can't be done with a FF add-on..
- The ability to read PDF files 2 pages per screen, fullscreen.
- Take away the limit of downloading 2 files at a time per webpage (and having to wait until one of the two files is downloaded before a third file can start).
- add an option to "copy current tab to a new tab", so that I won't see my homepage on every new tab.
Often when browsing (or typing in a forum) I have a link I need to click which will move me forward to a next page. When I need to write info in that page, and need to refer to a page before the page I am reading, I often need to go back. Going back to copy the info I need to write in the second page, and go forward again.
Although FF has improved, there are still cases where I'd lose all the data I've typed (like for instance in online banking thru a https connection).
To be able to copy current page to a next tab (not necessary to reload all info from the web, but just read cache) it saves time compared to starting a new tab, copying the http link of the previous one, and pasting it in the new tab.

But in general I'm quite content from FF!

cregan89

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Either Chrome with add-ons. Or Firefox with better stability and wayy better performance. If the best parts of Firefox were combined with the best parts of Chrome, I would never look back at another browser again. Firechrome, yaa.

It's kinda funny though, everything I want in a browser exists in different browsers. But there hasn't been one browser to bring all those things perfectly together yet. For now, I'm on Firefox and sometimes Chrome. And IE when I absolutely need it for compatibility issues.

ben_n

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Using regularly Opera, Chrome, and Firefox, here.

Chrome to me has the farthest to go to be the browser I want. It's limited options and capabilities are too much of a game-breaker for me, from its pathetic options menu, to features that I use all the time like mouse gestures. While I love the task manager it has, the builtin ability to resize certain text boxes, and the multi-process model, a few cool little features do not make a good browser. Worst, despite all the hype about Chrome being the most lightweight browser around, I often find that Opera (or even Firefox) uses less resources in a lot of cases for similar tasks.

Firefox lacks the cleanliness that Opera has. For good or ill, Firefox has everything one needs, but only in add-ons, which involves finding the add-ons, making sure they play nice with each other, keeping them up-to-date, taking care of compatibility issues when the add-on is incompatible with the browser version you're using, and avoiding add-on bloat. The easy drag-and-drop customizable interface from Opera would be nice to have, though. I'd also have them take tab-management pointers from Opera if I wasn't using a folder-tree style add-on called TabKit.

I'd like Opera 10 to stop bugging out and get out of beta. Easier controls to block certain flash or javascript would be nice, especially if combined with a Chrome-style task manager. Using an old (P4 2.8Ghz) computer I often see a browser (FF, Opera, occasionally Chrome) start hogging 90% of the CPU because of javascript and flash ads in the background. Chrome's ability to kill a process would be nice, but is obviously hard to implement. Tabs in Opera are pretty good, but the aforementioned Firefox add-on TabKit is a lot easier for organizing and using my tabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.