QOTD: How Would You Run Microsoft Differently?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I get tired of articles like this, honestly. It just starts flamewars between the Anti-Microsoft noobs and the MS4Life loyals. And it never turns into a relevent discussion about the companies, or what they do right or wrong. It's purely "This sux, That blows more, steve jobs kicks gates ass haha!!11oneelevel". It get's stupid and boring way too quickly.

axj

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
At the end of the day, what MS needs to do to salvage / recapture the faith of the public- both biz and consumer- is to recenter their development strategy around making sure their products work properly on as broad of a range of machines as possible. Stop worrying about styling, stop jerking around the UI on all their products... just focus on reliability. People are tired of PC products not working, and this represents the largest threat to MS's business, in my opinion.

Internally, MS needs to rethink its culture. MS is a very heavily controlled organization, much like IBM was in the 80s, full of approved procedure and process for employees and vendors alike. On the surface this seems like a good idea- make sure everyone's doing things the same way across the organization- but in reality it adds on onerous degree of bureaucracy (and thus inefficiency), and stifles creative thinking. MS needs to look to the changes Gerstner made to IBM, and to the corporate culture at Google, in engineering a complete cultural overhaul at MS.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
OS: I would have included IE in Windows, until the governmet told me otherwise. I can't see an ethical reason not to include it. However, I would definently make it removeable. Modularity is very important to me. I still don't like that motherboard manufacturers include sound output on the motherboard, let alone graphics! I would always be subscirbing to the principles of stability and innovation. I actualy like the principles of what Steve Jobbs does, even if I disagree with his execution. Simplicity and elegance should be an option. However, the more 'power hungry' user is also a very important customer base, and modularity respects that. You can have both 'user' and 'power user' interfaces to the same OS.

The regestry has got to go!

I would drop backwards compatibility. I would make owning a licence of Windows either a subscription, or a general OS license that allows someone with said licence to own any version of Windows to be virtualized for backwards compatibility. Sure, this could eat into my bottom line, but that is where support charges come in.

Office: Synergy is important, I would make darned sure that all of my departments are on the same page design-wise, with the OS team, and all the branches of the software. I would have to hire a bunch of project managers who were on the same page, so it would be no easy task, but I don't want any more of that 'it took over a year to come out with the log-off screen' mentality anymore.

I would drop supporting x32 on new workstation OS.

Either I would drop DirectX entirely, or somehow allow for greater synergy (either old games working on the PC or something) with the XBoX.

Console: Develop the 'gaming keyboard/mouse' combo system. I know, a console isn't supposed to be a computer, and the 'mouse/kb' is what seporates them. But FPS and RTS need these things, so why not just include them? Upgradeability should be reasonably modular as well.

Stress rock solid stability, even at the cost of performence. Honoring the warenty would be so important.

Mobility: Either ante up and do this right, like Palm/RIM/Apple, or just drop it, and I am looking at just dropping it in favour of netbook domination. I use Windows Mobile, and IMHO, it is an epic fail. We (MS) should dominate the applications for other OS' devices, not the other way around.

Zune: You have to have the best player on the market! Buy Cowon, use their hardware, and make better firmware. Give the people what they want. Everything. Make them pay for it.

methal

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Stupid biased tom. Linux/Unix run on more servers by HUGE margins than suckdows. 90% of web servers alone run Unix/Linux. MAYBE 5% of all servers of all types everywhere run a microsoft OS. Windows is the "undisputed king" of gaming machines, and only gaming rigs. As for workstations its on roughly 70-75% and declining.

methal

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Stupid biased tom. Linux/Unix run on more servers by HUGE margins than suckdows. 90% of web servers alone run Unix/Linux. MAYBE 5% of all servers of all types everywhere run a microsoft OS. Windows is the "undisputed king" of gaming machines, and only gaming rigs. As for workstations its on roughly 70-75% and declining.

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jeverson[/nom]I would then have those options available on the install media or for download. I would let OEMs, users, and corps decide what was in their Win builds.
I mean $299-$499 for an OS is ridiculous. OEMs only pay about $85 - $100 for the license and MS makes a good margin on that.[/citation]

Microsoft makes a lot of money on OEMs because even though they sell the copies for about 100$ they sell thousands of them each time. End users tend to pay more because they only get one copy.

What Dell gets is a DVD of Vista and a lot of keys. Then they use imaging programs to install the OS very quickly with all drivers and everything set up already.

So even though they pay 100$/copy, MS gets to sell 1000 of them at each time. So that makes 100 000$ for one deal and all they need to do, is supply 1 DVD and a book of keys. Plus, if OEMs would pay as much as end users for their copies of windows, there would be no such things as computers for 600$...

For Microsoft itself, I'd just put more money in R&D for optimization. My IE 8 on Win7 takes more time to open than to load Far Cry 2... This is sad.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Either I would drop DirectX entirely, or somehow allow for greater synergy (either old games working on the PC or something) with the XBoX.
Say what you want but DirectX is a good thing. As a programmer I LOVE directX. It's what lets PC users to use any hardware config without worry.

Xenophage

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
First thing I would do is abandon every market that has been unprofitable for me, until or unless I could find a way to make it profitable. This would include, most notably, the web browser market.

Second thing I would do is combat piracy... by lowering the cost of my operating systems.

Ultimately, as emperor of MicroSoft I'd be out to make cash, but I would do it without underhandedly breaching contracts, lobbying congress, or forcing my way into loser markets for egotistical reasons.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Kill Zune. Kill XBox. Kill Search/MSN/Live/Anything website-based. None of these items has made a single penny for Microsoft (no, not even the XBox). Microsoft has spent billions trying to jump into these established markets. Sony beat them to market with the Playstation and hurt the XBox, but Nintendo still reigns supreme (even after a less-than successful Gamecube). Zune never even stood a chance in the saturated (and already dominated) mp3 market. And search? Search doesn't make money, ads make money, and Microsoft is not an advertising marketer.

I'd consider killing IE, but so much of the OS and other applications are dependant on the backdoors and insecurities of IE, its probably not even possible to do. I would, however, remove the web-browsing front-end to IE. Don't need any more lawsuits, and don't need to waste any more money trying to make your ad-hoc browser standards compliant.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]Say what you want but DirectX is a good thing. As a programmer I LOVE directX. It's what lets PC users to use any hardware config without worry.[/citation]
I think you misinterperated what I was getting at. Unfounded directX updates that don't match up enterprise-wide is silly. DirectX for the PC alone, doesn't seem to need updating, unless the console gets the same update.

svenolsen

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]MrF430[/nom]Ok, I don't think that you are quite grasping my point here. His statement was totally irrelevant! Maybe it was a bit harsh of me to say the things I did, but, I don't think that it was without merit, and no I was not being a hypocrite one bit, you just choose to nitpick at what I said and blow it out of proportion!Yes, as you put it I, CONVENIENTLY left out the possibility that he could be a win user because I believe win users are high and mighty like myself (/sarcasm)! Now, if you look down at the 5th paragraph in your post where you quoted part of my previous post, you will see a clear explanation as to why I believe that he is not a win user! But instead of actually reading to see why I said what I did, you just decided to not deal with it and start your captain save a ho rant! Well good job captain!"Heh, of course I can argue with you because your posts fall flat because of the ridiculous posting behavior you're showing in the first few posts. Now you're trying to come across legitimate with the past above?"^ Again, the first post could have been a bit harsh, but it was far from ridiculous. My posts have been very legitimate from the first to the current, however some people just like to argue for the sake of arguing! Yes my friend, I have been around the computing scene for quite some time, maybe more than you, maybe less! I remember getting very familiar with Windows 2.03 on my old 386 Packard Bell! I have gone through the ups and downs of Windows! I hated certain versions of Windows and yes I would say that they sucked and I can tell you EXACTLY why!And finally, as I mentioned, everyone is entitled to their opinion. However if they step into a DISCUSSION FORUM and are unable to provide any reasoning behind their opinion, then, their opinion does not belong. What if I were to go into any random discussion and say XYZ person place or thing sux! Followed with nothing at all! You better believe that people would call me a troll and maybe say things that are worse than what I said, or maybe not as bad as what I said. Bottom line though, is that people wouldn't be happy about it.Oh and btw, I posted it 3 times because the first 2 times did not get the bulk of the message posted. Just look at it and it would make sense, definitely not something to call someone out on, but then the captains gotta look for something to do right?...[/citation]

MrF430 -

It's you who doesn't get the point. It's very simple. You don't need to be insulting. Period.

"His statement was totally irrelevant!"

-- It is relevant because he responded to what he saw. Whether it was profound or not, doesn't matter. He has the right to post, like you, like me. Saying what he did, doesn't automatically give you open access ticket to be insulting and rude. I don't care whether you had reasons for saying what you said. The simple point is: BE NICE. You could have simply said "hey, want to add more info to why you think it sucks?"

"Now, if you look down at the 5th paragraph in your post where you quoted part of my previous post, you will see a clear explanation as to why I believe that he is not a win user! But instead of actually reading to see why I said what I did, you just decided to not deal with it and start your captain save a ho rant!"
-- This is the funniest thing I have heard all day! Have you heard of what a strawman argument is? You're refuting something that doesn't exist by superficially making an argument that wasn't even there to begin with, and then refuting that. You added all that BS about whether or not he's a Nix user, Mac user, Blind, Moron, or All of the Above. How nice of you to add "All of the Above" and then bold it. You're not asking. You're asserting your opinion that he IS all the above. Don't try to appear reasonable.

"and no I was not being a hypocrite one bit, you just choose to nitpick at what I said and blow it out of proportion!"
-- Really? Let's take a look at your response again and see who blew things out of proportion shall we?

Is it because you were influenced by your friends which were influenced by their friends who in turn were influenced by their friends to hate MS/Windows/Vista, all of whom were unable to think for themselves and arrive at their own conclusions about which OS they like/dislike and why?! Ohhhh I know!!!! It must be because the hardware and software options of a Windows based PC compared to another OS is like 60:1? I too hate having options! OPTIONS SUCK!!! I mean now I can understand why Windows does suck! Especially with all the reasons I listed above! I don't know why anyone in their right mind would run such a crappy OS!?!?

And then you say:

"I posted it 3 times because the first 2 times did not get the bulk of the message posted. Just look at it and it would make sense, definitely not something to call someone out on"

Whew! I rest my case.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I would concentrate on the consumer space. Microsoft for the longest time has been blind to the fact they could make MUCH MORE money if they combine the Zune and XBOX division into one.

Since you can already use Zune $$ with Live $$ and vice-versa it would only make sense to allow consumers to purchase music, videos, movies from the 360 to watch and listen then sync directly to a Zune player for portable usage.

Apple doesn't have a home gaming system and when they do, I can believe they will be integrating the iPod into it some way.

Microsoft could see an increase of Zune players and XBOX360s...

Eric Kolotyluk

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
If I were running Microsoft I'd try to fix as many of the stupid broken buggy features as I could find. Microsoft software abounds with so many stupid bugs that should not be that hard to fix. Often there are third party solutions to some of these well known bugs. There should not be third party solutions to bugs, Microsoft should just fix them. Beyond bugs, there are just too many badly designed and implemented features that cause constant frustration in every day use of Microsoft software.

Microsoft needs to turn around an believe that if they build quality products people will buy them because of the quality. Unfortunately Microsoft has always delivered mediocrity and used shady, unethical, and often illegal business practices to get to where they are and stay there.

Finally, Microsoft needs to hire some people who truly know how to innovate - for example the way Apple does. Instead Microsoft just hangs around until someone else develops a market for something innovative, then tries to muscle in (with mediocre products) trying to rely on their market dominance to give them an unfair advantage.

dummyme

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
well, i would buy out the amd (well, not after they form the globalfoundry co). when we look at amd, we know it can produce cpu and graphic chip. this would do good on microsoft's xbox, windows mobile, zune, direct x, and windows server businesses.

formin

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
os guys gotta work more with the hw guys.
design a chip and os together.
not design a chip then design an os to run on the chip

katmandude

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
haven't read much so far, a bit off the bat, mixed feelings and no fanboyflaming for me, so here goes...(i'll only evoke the things which i've experienced.. :) and sry for the bad spelling )

There is much to say about windows, many long sleepless nights trying to figure how to fix the OS, many more just enjoying a flawless OS, just running almost any program, installing, un installing almost any hardware without a second though.

When i was a student everything was cracked, cos i was broke and most of the things we had on our systems where 'given away' by my university, smart move by most of the software companys (if they get it free, they will learn it, and someday will ahve to buy it). Life wasn't always rosy growing up with computers. sometimes you'd get months of flawless behavior only to wake up one morning with a computer which decided to make your life miserable.
somethings never change,after 24 years of silicon, burnt plastics, destroyed joysticks, endless hours of tweaking... windows is still windows, still the eternal clueless geek with no concept of trendy or design. apple is still apple, still the fashion design guru wanabee with no clue on masscomputing for the financially challenged. Well it's a bit far streched, but the general trend is there.

On the OS front I've been through all versions of windows (ALL OF THEM) so i think i've got a pretty good picture of the beast. since i keep old computers running at home, just for the fun of it, i've got most releases of the OS. Much has changed since the good days ( not that they where that good, since most things we take for granted where: a) not invented yet, b)close to a miracle, c) damn slow.
The "things" that windows does, that hasn't changed much. most of the, then uber great new functions, are still here.
What has changed is how the machine does them, windows has gotten much "smarter" through the ages. We've gained diagnostic programs, data encryption, safety, LAN diagnostic tools and calibration (remember the IP hell with windows 95?), computer management, auto installing programs that are smart enough to not srew up the system when there's a compatibility problem (ahhremm Win Me anyone?), a user interface which would make a geek melt 15 years ago are standard. User interfaces have gone from 'hit any key' to "hello master , yes i've already compiled the ingineering samples you gave me".

windows is still the bench mark for installing on most machines. u've got to give the a round of applause, they may not have created the perfect OS or aren't that innovative in most respects. what they have done is given to hundreds of thousands of users some degree of comfort that you wouldn't get. Power to the masses! yes, yes apple is better, more efficient , cleaner bla bla bla. we know that. but windows is universal! apple have the advantage that they control the whole process from the first craps of silicon to the last bit of OS. so they are bound to be "more" of everything. You can't install Mac OS on any other machine just on a whim ( except with EFIX usb dongle, and only on gigabyte MBs) , why? because it's taillored to suit the machine. windows is like a good ol jacket, the one size fits all with loads of pockets. It's not the armani suit which apple claims to be. And rightly so! a stripped down version of XP will obliterate anything that comes close.

So, on the OS side of things, everything they have done so far, is nothing short of exceptional. except for windows Me (they should burn the office in which it was made and exorcise the people who made it) and windows vista (nice looking program on a faulty frame - way way to complicated and plenty of unresolved issues, but still a nice looker).

One thing which they screwed up pretty nicely was the competition. If you're program is the best , and your services are flawless then, with time and patience market shares will come your way. why am I saying this? because most people i know have the impression that some msoft products (like Explorer, WMP for example) where not the best the market had to offer. I still get the impression that Msoft pulled a few nasty tricks to get rid of the competition. One will argue that buiness is not for the faintharted and 'I'd rather take on a group of Msoft buisness directors with a nuke than fight off a hoard of Aliens with a soft rubber chicken'. I saw most internet browsers companys go from healthy to dead in a matter of months , just because they where no longer there, replaced by some foul, hastily written Msoft programs. They got burnt for it, and they still carry an aura of evil. I don't think i would have done the same thing had i been in charge. simply because competition and competing for the technologically better product is the way to go. It shouldn't be the amount of cash rebates you give and the amount of publicity you make that defines the industry standard. It makes us weak and inefficient.
Some will argue that making the best possible program will get you a apple type program. I'd disagree, the best can also mean the leanest, most proficient.

gotta go peeps, will pick up laters ^^

MrF430

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
[citation][nom]svenolsen[/nom]MrF430 -It's you who doesn't get the point. It's very simple. You don't need to be insulting. Period."His statement was totally irrelevant!"-- It is relevant because he responded to what he saw. Whether it was profound or not, doesn't matter. He has the right to post, like you, like me. Saying what he did, doesn't automatically give you open access ticket to be insulting and rude. I don't care whether you had reasons for saying what you said. The simple point is: BE NICE. You could have simply said "hey, want to add more info to why you think it sucks?""Now, if you look down at the 5th paragraph in your post where you quoted part of my previous post, you will see a clear explanation as to why I believe that he is not a win user! But instead of actually reading to see why I said what I did, you just decided to not deal with it and start your captain save a ho rant!"-- This is the funniest thing I have heard all day! Have you heard of what a strawman argument is? You're refuting something that doesn't exist by superficially making an argument that wasn't even there to begin with, and then refuting that. You added all that BS about whether or not he's a Nix user, Mac user, Blind, Moron, or All of the Above. How nice of you to add "All of the Above" and then bold it. You're not asking. You're asserting your opinion that he IS all the above. Don't try to appear reasonable."and no I was not being a hypocrite one bit, you just choose to nitpick at what I said and blow it out of proportion!"-- Really? Let's take a look at your response again and see who blew things out of proportion shall we?And then you say:"I posted it 3 times because the first 2 times did not get the bulk of the message posted. Just look at it and it would make sense, definitely not something to call someone out on"Whew! I rest my case.[/citation]

Wow, look at you go! You dont give up do you??? Ok, listen, I did admit to being a bit harsh in the way I responded to his post. Whats really interesting is how you mention that all I had to do was BE NICE! Well if that isnt hypocritical, I dont know what is!

I dont understand how on gods green earth you can seriously imply Straw man on my post!!! Which leads me to believe that maybe you just, glance at the words in front of you, never actually reading them. My post made clear and perfect sense, furthermore if your tactic is to discredit what I have said with baseless remarks, please keep them to yourself. Its beyond my comprehension really! I mean, you seem like a fairly intelligent person, but you cant make sense of a proper retort??? You said:

"Then you call him either a Nix user Or a Mac user but conveniently left out a Windows user. Why? Because Windows users are high and mighty like yourself? That gives you the right to go dissing people?".

I then told you to refer back to the 5th paragraph in your post where YOU quoted MY post in which I explain in clear english, why I dont believe he could be a win user. Yes it is possible he uses win, but really, not probable! How else do you want me to explain that for you!?!?!?

Wow you can point out the obvious! Yes I asserted my opinion of him! Yes I was a bit harsh! Now what? Whats your point?

And finally, ever hear of sarcasm? You know, my post you just quoted, in case you didnt notice, that entire bit was addressed in as sarcastic a manner as possible! Let me put it differently for you:

How long have you been around the internet scene my friend? Long enough to know that people of all kinds have been using sarcastic statements (when relevant) to get their point across? And this short, unprofound style of sarcasm has been tossed around all over the internet itself for ages!

We can go round and round nonstop for as long as you like, but Im getting a bit tired of this...

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
The PS3 has pulled right up to the 360 for good games.

I would even argue that it has passed it. I owned a 360 with halo 3, gears 1 and 2, and halo wars; all of the big exclusives (well, gears 1 not anymore, but it was). Halo 3 was great, but everything else (exclusives) kinda sucked. So i traded my friend for his PS3.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is my favourite game of all time, and I've never played the earlier ones. Killzone 2 is easily the best shooter I've played in years and little big planet is just so freaking fun with a couple of your buds. Castle Crashers came close (for fun-ness) on the xbox live arcade but little big planet is so much better and broader).

A year ago the 360 was way better but the PS3 has passed it. Besides, my gaming rig can give me my 360 fix with halo 1 and 2, and gears. Also the ps3 is much more like an computer, I've even thrown yellow dog linux on mine. you can back up save games to a usb stick or external HDD. copy your ripped movies from an external HDD to ur PS3, and watch movies in blu-ray. Online is free two.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
and mr F430, stop trying to cover yourself. You acted like an idiot with the first guy and now your acting like an even bigger one with the 2nd. By trying to prove that fate decreed you had to invoke damnation on the first apparent "mac fanboy" you have only shot your credibility in this thread in the head. Now you working like a dirty - insulting, sarcastic, jumping to conclusions - to try to get your already dead credibility back.

I will tell you right now that I'm posting from my gorgeous macbook pro - however don't start spouting off fanboy just yet. I am vaguely aware in some impossible way of windows. My numoreous homebuilds have taught me a lot- currently I'm running an machine with the windows 7 beta and vista 64 - i7 920 @ 4 GHz with dual 260's. I won't try to tell you that my MBP will spank the homebuild because openGL is way better then directX, both of us know that it isn't true.

I do my need my mac because it will run everything - unix or other. I need that for software engineering, in windows the emulaters for unix programming just suck to put it bluntly. My MBP will run everything using both OS X and parallels 4.0 running Vista fully hardware accelerated in a window. If I have a need for power i transfer to the i7 build which, in general will be faster then the Mac Pro, dual Nehalems in the Mac Pro do come in handy sometimes.

your the one that clearly is the fanboy. someone says windows sux and its your sacred duty to rip him apart.

relax

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
[citation][nom]jeverson[/nom]Office: Again, only 2 SKUs. Home (Word, Outlook, Excel) and Corp (Everything).IE: Not even going to go there.[/citation]

Uhh.....where is power point? I use that all the time for school. Im especially going to need it in college.

svenolsen

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]MrF430[/nom]I then told you to refer back to the 5th paragraph in your post where YOU quoted MY post in which I explain in clear english, why I dont believe he could be a win user. Yes it is possible he uses win, but really, not probable! How else do you want me to explain that for you!?!?!?[/citation]

This here pretty much settles it. Look MrF430, you wholly stepped out of line, and now you're trying to justify it by what, rationalizing what you said? Please.

If you're asking me how on earth I can pull a strawman argument on your post, then I am asking you again, how on earth are you coming up with the "probable" conclusion that he's a "mac fanboy?"

The point of you making the original post was to point out how he wasn't giving a fair reasoning to back up his statement. Yet you yourself didn't do it either. You're asking me to examine what you wrote, yeah, sure I can see that you asked a bunch of rhetorical questions clearly formed to label him as a Mac user--hence the "influenced by friends" clause.

"And finally, ever hear of sarcasm? You know, my post you just quoted, in case you didnt notice, that entire bit was addressed in as sarcastic a manner as possible!"
-- lol. You're stretching it now MrF430--claiming that what you wrote was sarcasm. If you're as lucid as you appear to claim, it's painfully obvious that you were fumed by the OP.

You certainly made yourself clear. You lashed out, plainly rude, and was a total jerk to the original poster, when she/he wasn't even making a remark at a person. What are you trying to prove? That somehow your obnoxious behavior was justified by a bunch of rhetoric? You certainly proved the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.