QOTD: Should Schools Use Laptops to Watch Kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

h0llow

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
If i had a kid, I'd also agree. HELL NO! There are enough low life pedos out there. So... What if he is one? That's my feeling.

goldrocker

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I'm surprised You even considered asking the question. Ofcourse not! Especially not by laptops that activate and film you while you're away from school. Let that be a parent's job.

wenty

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Lets just let the government and school systems have our kids...... That way the parents can focus on being slaves to the elite.

The American family system is broken.

Time to wake up people.

4ILY45

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Via Webcam? Over my dead body!!
can't they just packet sniff the student's laptops when they are at school?

swisscheez

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Why dont the kids just put a piece of tape over the webcam when they arent using it? Bam, multi-million dollar lawsuit with a pennys worth of tape

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]swisscheez[/nom]Why dont the kids just put a piece of tape over the webcam when they arent using it? Bam, multi-million dollar lawsuit with a pennys worth of tape[/citation]

Because the kids shouldn't be the ones correcting the situation.

swisscheez

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]guitarpeggio[/nom]Because the kids shouldn't be the ones correcting the situation.[/citation]

The problem doesnt necessarily lie with the schools either.
Today i was in an army recruting office and noticed a piece of tape over the microphone on a recruiters laptop. Im sure his superiors do not install any software to monitor his voice, but this is just a counter-measure from anybody hacking into the system and monitoring.
The piece of tape wud be a safe guard from the schools and anybody else who decides to sneak some malware onto these kids computers.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Couldn't have said it any better. This is a clear violation of privacy (esp. for a female student).[/citation]
Wow, sexist much?

[citation][nom]swisscheez[/nom]The problem doesnt necessarily lie with the schools either.Today i was in an army recruting office and noticed a piece of tape over the microphone on a recruiters laptop. Im sure his superiors do not install any software to monitor his voice, but this is just a counter-measure from anybody hacking into the system and monitoring.The piece of tape wud be a safe guard from the schools and anybody else who decides to sneak some malware onto these kids computers.[/citation]
Or even better, don't get laptops with webcams built in. I work for a fortune 100 firm, and I don't do anything that requires a "special" level of security; however our company buys laptops and cellphones with no camreas. Too much risk of spying/corporate espionage. It's not hard to plug a webcam into a usb port if you actually need one.

On a side note, perhaps the schools could get them computers that they'll actually be able to learn skills from which could help them get a job.. just a thought.

steve9207

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
swisscheez makes a good point; if the only way to obtain one of these school issued laptops was to abide by some CRAZY monitoring policies like this, then sure, they can just put a piece of electrical tape over it, which would surely block it out.

On the topic as a whole; is it really the school's job to monitor what the student is doing OUTSIDE of school? I could possibly see monitoring the activities on the computer (what sites, applications, etc) are being used to make sure it's within the guidelines of the intended use / legal. But certainly not monitoring personal behavior.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]I want them to not spend taxpayer money on MACBOOKS, when they could at the very least buy normal $500-600 laptops. Though preferably netbooks instead.[/citation]

University's make most of they're budget through the cost of entering school , not through the cost of tax payer money. Hell getting into a university costs about as much as 10 or 20 Macbook pro's if they're the expensive kind.

G

As long as I can watch the principal through his webcam. This is like Sarah Palin defending Bush's wiretapping... However, when that hacker stole her emails, she sure didn't like that, did she?

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
I don't think it's that crazy a question to be honest. If the school is providing kids with laptops I think they should be allowed monitor their use of those laptops inside school hours. It's no different to the teacher looking over their shoulder.

With that said, I don't think it's ever okay to use the webcams on those laptops to watch kids. You don't need to see what the child is actually physically doing to figure out if he's updating his facebook page during english or chatting on AIM during maths.

Status
Not open for further replies.