QOTD: Should Sony be Sued for Removing Linux?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
[citation][nom]weepee[/nom]so can i sue Apple because i bought an iphone for the "baby shaker" game, and then apple removed it without my consent?[/citation]

AFAIK, Apple didn't use "baby shaker" as a selling point for the iPhone. Sony used the Linux capability as a selling point for the PS3 and is one of the reasons I got a PS3.

That and Gran Turismo 5.

I'm telling you, GT5 better be good.

@QOTD: Yes!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
While I don't need LINUX support on a PS3, they removed a feature that has been part of the PS3 since its release.

My answer = YES!

The most SONY has the RIGHT to do, is to no longer support (enhance) such abilities. Removing it by force is a NO-NO.

The AIR FORCE using the PS3s to make a cheap support computer is more of an ADVERTISEMENT than a loss. Stupid.

I am still planning to buy a PS3, but I want that feature.

But does this mean that people can sue SONY for removing the backwards compatibility? To me, its a non-issue. $500 for backwards vs $300 without...I'd rather just get $300 unit and get a used PS2 for $50 if needed. Besides many and future OLD PS2 games are converted and downloadable for PS3.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
One of the reasons I even considered the PS3 as a console. Fundamentaly I don't like consoles, but the PS3 stood out from the rest with the options it was offering, albeit at a premium. Should they be sued? Personally I am against lawsuits of this manner, but the people have a right since Sony marketed the PS3 with the other OS as an option. Security risk or no. So yes I think those that bought it with the intent of using the Other OS option should sue.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
As the lawyer said... its one thing to remove the Other OS feature on NEW units, such as backwards compatibility, card reader, etc.

But to REMOVE function/features from a product that the customer ALREADY purchased is a BIG NO NO!

Status
Not open for further replies.