QOTD: What Do You Do With Your Old PCs?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I use most of my outdated parts for overclocking/abuse except if they are not suitable to be sold. Currently own two old PCs, Athlon 1600+/GF2Ti/512RAM/40HDD I use for wireless router and an OCd machine: Athlon2000+ w/unlocked 26kb of L2 cache, clocked @ 12.5*185~2300mhz/GF6600GT@590/1150mhz
EPoX 8RDA6+
2*1GB SuperT Memory @444mhz
3 Seagate internal hard drives,total 440GB plus an extarnal FreeAgent 1.5TB
Plextor DVD Recorder
self customized case and cooling

I use this machine for file server now, used to play games on it, but by today's standards, its ridiculously slow for that purpose, even when it comes to non3D load, my primary computer, a DELL laptop puts it to shame and makes me feel really bad, I dont even want to remember what a beast that machine was at the time of purchase (and, of course, how much it costed)

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I always try to upgrade and keep the old unused parts.
When i do the tech renewal then i rebuild a PC with the old parts kept, than i offer it to someone that needs it.
Unused and useless old parts i send it to recycling.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I tend to save them for any one that might take good care of them and is able to use them for anything.
However some of my systems i just cant trow away or sell like my first computer (MSX VG-8020) and my Pegasos (even though it needs new parts badly).
My UltraSPARC and SGI system will always stay here even though i hardly ever use them these days.
I have a load of quad xeon (slot2) 5u servers with between 2 and 8 gigs of ram and 2 arrays of 6x36gig 15k scsi which i just wont trow away since i still believe some one might find good use for them some day.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
I give most of my parts to friends and family, that way every time I go to someone's house, I get a bit of nostalgia for the parts I used throughout my life.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
I send them to be crushed and melted for the precious metals. Electronic trash is a terrible thing for the environement, we have to be careful

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
My first computer (2.8ghz P4 64mb video, 2g ram) was given to my little brother right after i joined the military. My first build however (e6600 c2d, 9800 gtx+, 4gb ram) after several upgrades (from Pentium D 820, 2gb ram, x1900 xtx) went to my girlfriend once i built my i7 rig.

I suppose when i build my next, i will pass my i7 to her, and give her c2d to my son.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]battlaxx[/nom]i usually just through all my old electronics in the ocean.. out of sight out of mind.[/citation]

well if that is the case you are as stupid as your spelling... its throw not through... never heard of someone stupid enough to overspell..... but even if you were kidding you were stupid enough to talk dumb shit to techs who love computers and give a crap about the environment... personally if i ever saw you do it, id drown your F***ing ass.... scumbag

oh and you were stupid enough to double post that

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]VioMeTriX[/nom]well if that is the case you are as stupid as your spelling... its throw not through... never heard of someone stupid enough to overspell..... but even if you were kidding you were stupid enough to talk dumb shit to techs who love computers and give a crap about the environment... personally if i ever saw you do it, id drown your F***ing ass.... scumbag

oh and you were stupid enough to double post that[/citation]

^ -1 I can speak for myself, thank you. And the threat of murder, makes you worse than him. Congrats on that.. >.>

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
god i wish i could help be a moderator on these forums, id have to be much less abusive and more diplomatic.... but sheesh some of the people that post stuff here blow my mind!!!

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]^ -1 I can speak for myself, thank you. And the threat of murder, makes you worse than him. Congrats on that.. >.>[/citation]

what do you mean i can speak for myself? since when was i speaking for you , about you, or to you.... secondly, throwing stuff like that in lakes and oceans, well it is only a way to slowly murder countless thousands of animals and people....and if you get caught, it is worth prison time.... but again please explain the "i can speak for myself" how was i speaking for you? i speaking for myself and my opinion....

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
scuab dave were you reffering to that, well let me rephrase.... most ost of the many thousands of techs i personally know across the world care about the environment.... and they wouldnt make a murder remark and turn this into a pissing contest.... but go to the diving boards as your name implies, maybe you can talk about all the waste we find in our oceans due to idiots like the one i attacked

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I re-use it until it is not useful to me anymore and then either my neighbors kids get it, or it goes to the mission for people that cannot afford a computer

JTP709

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
My old rig is currently at the perfect height to be my foot rest, and probably gonna go take it to the rifle range and have at it with various forms of caliber justice.

Sort of old, I recycle into giveaway systems. Really old stuff, I junk. For example, last year, I finally pitched my over 10 year old P233MMX system. Too old to give away. This summer, I finally pitched my Abit BH6 board.

Status
Not open for further replies.