QOTD: What Do You Mainly Use Your PC For?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Reading the latest news on "Toms Hardware"
Okay, where is my prize.

leo2kp

Distinguished
I use mine for gaming, watcing movies, creating sound files (ring tones, etc), listening to music, and right now I'm creating a slideshow for my wedding :)

G

Gaming, Family picture/video editing/saving, music, work (programming + office apps).

PrangeWay

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I hare a work pc (at home), a gaming pc and a media pc. So pretty much everything that my life entails involves my pc's in some way. Also that definetly files me into "nerdy pc geek" category, but hey nerds are now cool! Oh and my smartphone to, anything the computers do it is my mobile version of :)

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
My work computer is used mostly for AutoCAD. The rest is for running commercial and proprietary engineering programs, and a little bit of word processing.

My home desktop computer is used for surfing the internet, storing and editing digital photos, and a little bit of programming.

My laptop computer is used for checking email, internet, and connecting to my office computer when I travel, and used as a remote terminal to my work computer when I'm working from home.

G

I use my computer like a Swiss Army knife, and curse it when it's not a Cuisinart (word I learned in Spaceballs - means Blender.) I'm an author - not pretentious, but I find people who tell others I'm a writer amusing, while if they tell those same people THEY are writers, it's amusing for another reason.

I value my computer for its aptitude for record keeping. If I am not citing a word I wrote or searching well organized resource material (includes RTFM guys,) I am using it for dating letters and events, or proving what I was requested to do. NOTE TO SELF: Learn to prove what I've DONE :)

Go Dilbert. He'd figure out a slow discharge capacitor for UPS of a laptop and dispense with the weight of a not yet dead but surely going to die battery. Of the available PCs, the laptop should be applied like Frank Lloyd Wright for its portability; I'm not done with my desktop.

Which computer? :D After all, we are geeks here!

1. My laptop is just used for school work when I am at school or otherwise not at home. Given its modest specs (Dell Latitude E5400: C2D T7250, 80 GB HDD, GM45 IGP) and the fact that it's a laptop, it's really not good for much else. But it fills that role perfectly.

2. My HTPC is just used as an HTPC. It also can't do much else as it was made mostly from parts gotten off a trash pile next to a local computer store (1.6 GHz AMD Duron, ASUS A7N8X-E with a tab broken off the socket, PCI GeForce 6200.) But like my laptop, it does its job very well.

3. My desktop is my main machine and it pretty much is a jack-of-all-trades. It's getting up there in years (socket 939 X2 4200+), but it still gets the job done well enough. Mostly I use it for school work since that's what almost all of my time is spent doing. But I also occasionally watch videos on it and every so often will play a game. This computer also is the print server and backup server, so my wife can print from her laptop and back up her files to it without dragging her laptop downstairs. I also keep digital photos on my desktop and of course do e-mail, Web browsing, and whatever else I need to use a computer for with this machine.

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
These days it is mostly for web surfing/email/IM. Although, when I have time and I can round my friends up, we have a few hour long frag fest (BF2, TF2, etc). I really want to upgrade but the more I realize how little I use it these days the less I wanna spend big $$ on a new rig. I have a HTPC too and it gets used a lot more. Love those fan subs!

Status
Not open for further replies.