QOTD: What Don't You Like About Macs?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyderek

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I use my macbook pro running windows XP at work so i can run CAD, which by the way is a short comming of autodesk, (they make autocad) not apple. Mircosoft encourages companies to create software that is now so intertwined with .net framework that it can't be ported out to any other operating environment. That's the monopoly Microsoft is trying to create and that's bad people. Wake up.

Mac's give you the whole thing, not just the operating system (pick any one of 6/7) and hope it works on your system (drivers).

Yes the upgrade options are overpriced, but if you're reading this, why are you complaining, you know enough to do it yourself, so go do it.

Find another aluminum notebook at those prices that doesn't feel like a briefcase. I accidentally dropped my macbook pro 6 feet and the only thing that broke was the $300 (oem price) screen i replaced myself. The aluminum case took the rest of the blow and protected my logic board etc. Try that with your alienware notebook and let me know how it goes.

My mac was over 2 grand, but it's a year and a half old, it's only in the last 4 months i've seen mainstream laptops starting to offer the same parts. Computer parts always cost more when they first come out, point and case, core i7 940 and 965, DDR3, the latest graphics card bla bla bla.

When i'm home i run Mac OS cause it's easier to use, one motion on the touch pad zooms into anything to make it easier to see or read (this is everywhere, not just in an internet browser like crtl scroll wheel), another gesture shows me all my windows spread out over the screen, command Q for quitting, and command W closes a window, for my hands those are much easier to reach then alt F4, and... well there is no close window shortcut in windows that works universally. Mac's also have lots of candy that's just nice. I plug in a monitor and it automatically detects, sizes, and remembers the last way i had it set (clone / extend). I think vista finally offers this with a bit less speed and finesse from the laptops (2) i've seen with it running. OSX is vista / windows 7 without all the driver bugs and then sum in terms of every day useability. Then there's the educational discounts for students and teachers anywhere in north america. And the Unix engine that's apparently good for all kinds of dirty work, my friend works in a laboratory and love's having a decent operating system that he can use along with a unix back end.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I use both OSes daily and both have there hi and lo points. I bought my first DOS machine in 1986, and my first Mac two years ago. I will always own one of each...the MS box I will build just for kicks, and the Mac OS I will buy outright. But, I will end up with more Mac's in my home than Win boxes. To be honest, I am tired of the BSOD...all of these years and MS still can't get it right. If they ever do, then I will migrate back.

I get a kick when people say Apple stole this or that...and MS has never stolen a thing! Hah...do some research and look at how many settlements there have been and won against MS. Also, the Intel Xeon Nehalem server processor is only available on the Mac, the rest of the server market should get it Q4, 2009...bad prices up above.

I like neither the Apple nor the MS ads...though MS shows a lot more desperation. MS reacts with their adds and really produces no creative content.

What really gets me is how the Windows fan boys attack the Apple users, and how the Apple Fan boys attack the Windows users. Yet, Balmer himself has come out saying what a great business model Apple has...think I will listen to him and other experts rather than rabid fans on either side.

TH should cover Apple as long as they cover any other OEM. Apple is a major player now days and since they share basically the same components as Win boxes then show us what they got.

If there is one thing I do not like about Apple, it is how they lock up their OS. They should let vendors like Dell install it. Also, as mentioned before, if you are so hot with the PC then make a hackintosh and show us what you got. You get to install the hardware of your choice, and you get a great OS.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Wow, it sure is a good thing all these level headed people have the ability to moderate posts. I'd love to hear a thoughtful rebuttal to the concerns raised by myself and others (as well as the article's author), but apparently the Mac fanboys would rather just keep spreading half truths and opinions.

Another reason to avoid Macs and OS X: to prevent the possibility of turning into a tool like the huge, vocal portion of the current userbase that infests this and other forums.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I don't like apple users, price, and restriction to older underperforming parts. Whats the point if you can only use midrange parts in the build.

My thought process on the Mac Pro is what will you use it for? I cannot think of anything that will actually make use of it considering it doesn't have the video card to be a graphical editing workstation, and it doesn't have the OS to be an effecient server. $3000 for a DVD writer?
You can build a better workstation or server using non-nahelhiem based Xeons for cheaper, like a quad opteron station for a server. FireGL 8700 for graphical editing workstations. Cell add-on card for encoding.

Darkness Flame

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
There are quite a few things for me. First off, I don't think that OS X is complete crap; it's a very nice and powerful OS. Hell, it's very easy to use. However, that's also the main complaint; it's become so easy to use, that when you compare it to a Windows or Linux systems, there are a lot fewer "difficult but rewarding" things you can do. Whether it's tricking out the Window's desktop to look better, or if it's managing a gaming server in Linux, you have to work for what you want, and you can make your systems great because of it. OS X has become so simple, you don't have that as much; you can't customize it, and you're limited in it's capabilities outside of what Apple provides you.

Asside from that are the Apple's customers; they get so used to Apple hand-feeding everything too them, that they sulk and complain about having to use anything that might require effort. For example, the iPod is nice and simple to use; Sandisk, Creative, and other companies also make great MP3 players too. However, since they aren't always painstakingly simple to use, people find them inferior.

A similar thing happens with users of OS X; they think that since their system runs so simply and so smoothly, anything else must be less. They think that spending more money on a system with "better quality" makes their computers superior, when in reality, a Windows or Linux system could cost half as much, and give you better performance and quality. The difference is, on an Apple system, you pay a royalty to have them do it for you. Due to the common thoughts of laziness and simplicity, people will go for it.

Beside everything else, I just rather dislike Apple as a company. People flee to them to "avoid Microsoft's monopoly". In reality, they enter a world of only what Apple allows. In terms of buisness practices, Apple is significantly worse. If you don't believe me, then tell me just how many MP3 players, other than iPods, will work with an Apple system? How many vendors sell computers with Apple's Operating System on it? How many indie games are developed for OS X on a yearly basis? How many places can you go to get your Apple computer fixed, other than an Apple Store? And aside from that, how much does it cost to buy a spare battery for your new 17", $2800+ Apple laptop?

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I hadn't looked at the new Macs and I notice that we are going head to head against the top of the line Apple Product and the question is why?
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro?mco=MjI5MDE1
The $2,499 is the Quad Core Nahlem 2.66 Ghz with 3 GB RAM, 640 GB HD, and a Geoforce GT 120.
The $3,299 has two Quad Nahlem 2.26 GHZ, 6 GB RAM, and no real difference.
Comes with the Computer, Keyboard, and Mouse.

Earlier I had begun to build a computer but really didn't have anything to go off of. Building a PC and trying to make it a Mac takes away from the real strength of why people choose a PC over a Mac which is diversity and ability to specialize your computer for what you want it to do.

Here is the system I would build.
Phenom 720, 8 GB RAM, 2 4870's Crossfired, 3 TB HD's (2 1.5), Blu Ray/HD DVD, Cosmos Case with a 850W Corsair Power Supply, Keyboard Logitech G15, Logitech Air Mouse which puts me at $2000 with OS. Switch out the Phenom 720 with an i7 920 or 940 for around $300 more and you are at $2300. Since I started and have the links for the 720 on another post I'll just stay with that. I now have exactly $1300 to spend to bring me to the $3300 mark.
Stardock Suite for $50.00, Belkin F8 $60.00, Gyroxus $400.00, Thrustmaster T. Flight $120, TV Card $100.00...
Still have $600.00 left or $300 if I had gone with the i7.
Though the Phenom 720 might have been less CPU I would of made it up in just pure power in the other areas. With the extra cash I could of put it away for future upgrades. With an i7 the Mac Pro wouldn't be able to compete.

The problem with Macs is that you can't specialize with them. Looking to do Graphics work well you can make a PC that does it better and be able to buy the best Adobe Product to do it with. Even with that the PC would be cheaper.

The truth is I have a Phenom 9600, 4 GB RAM, 4870, with CS 4, Stardock, 4 TB's HD space (though it's filled), Office 2007, 24" monitor, tons of Games and Programs. I stream all my music out to everything in my house, Video Conference, and more. I may have to restart my computer once every other week besides that it's being used near 20 hours of the day by the family. I never have had a problem with Vista and I've had it since I've had this computer.

If Apple didn't lie or misrepresent itself I could care less about the company but they did. If you feel that Apple is for you then enjoy it but don't think everyone else should. I like getting the most for my money and being able to get what I want with my money. I like to be able to upgrade when I feel like it and to do it with my own to hands. I like the satisfaction I get when people enter my computer room and say "Wow... Now that's f'ing cool."
It's even better when they ask what kind of computer that is and I say "The one I built and that one over there is built by me also but this one is going to be my pride and joy."

merickel

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]Hi merickel -I think the sales person who tried to tack on the Apple Care Extended warranty to you was a total jerk. I have never been told that. Because frankly, it's untrue, even by common sense.There's no warranty out there that covers going into the store and spiking the MacBook on the ground and then expecting that Apple would provide you a new replacement on the spot. If they did do that, that isn't "good" customer service, that's just bad business practice.The Apple Care Extended warranty doesn't give you "more" than the original warranty does in terms of what is covered. What it's suppose to do is extend the warranty time period.Even in the automotive world, there's no such warranty, and we're talking about a car--something that costs many more times than a laptop. For example, Honda isn't going to say sure, we'll give you a new car, if you drive into the dealer, drive into their building, wreck the car, and then ask for a replacement. They'll probably just call the cops at that point I think./ Tuan[/citation]

You sir are an idiot. To take my comment that far out of context just shows how moronic you really are. I do believe that dell offers an accidental coverage that does just that; it covers anything. I suggest you do your homework and try again. What is bad business practices, however, is telling your customers that they are getting one thing when they purchase a product and to give them something else. I know that this is not just an isolated incident, and that it has happened to many people at many different locations. Also, now that we are talking about bad business practices, how do you explain the fixed price of mac products everywhere? I believe that price fixing is considered illegal in the United States, yet apple still insists that all vendors of its products sell at or above the MSRP and if they decide otherwise they will no longer be licensed to sell apple products. All i have to say is that apple is a very shady company that has a track record of pushing the boundaries of what is legal while pursuing tooth and nail anyone that comes anywhere close to infringing on their legal rights (read profits).

montgora

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I have owned five macs since 1989. I have also owned five PC's running XP since 2000. Currently, I run three macs and three XP PC's in my home. I am proficient to a better than average degree with both.

Want to know why I invested $3000 on a MacBook Pro running Parallels in January of this year? Because life is too short, that's why. I have better things to do with my time than wet-nurse a PC through everyday functions such as aquiring a network printer, or stopping and starting the print spool, or figuring out why the wireless connection drops all the time, or having to reinstall the entire system once a year because it slows to geologic speed, or figuring out why the new video card hiccups all the time, or why there is no sound, or why the computer won't recognize my headset....the list is endless.

The simple fact is this: this new MacBook Pro boots and runs XP faster than any PC I ever bought new ever did. It doesn't crash. It' creators doesn't insult my intelligence by assuming I will not notice the fine details and polish of software and hardware design AND function. The commitment Apple brings to insisting on excellence in ALL of its products is what is sorely missing in American manufacturing as a whole.

I will support anyone's love for tinkering with PC's as a hobby and, hey, if that's what floats your boat then keep on truckin'. But the incessant whining about Macs and Apple is a bit old. The amount of it in the preceeding posts is staggering. In fact, it's almost pathologic. If the computer industry in this country continues to set the course for that of the rest of the world, it will be because Apple maintains THE standard of hardware and software design. Ballmer and the guys in Redmond are simply lost in the wilderness now that Gates is gone.

So why not just quit bitching about Apple, instead just say "thank you".

katmandude

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
[citation][nom]montgora[/nom]I have owned five macs since 1989. I have also owned five PC's running XP since 2000. Currently, I run three macs and three XP PC's in my home. I am proficient to a better than average degree with both. Want to know why I invested $3000 on a MacBook Pro running Parallels in January of this year? Because life is too short, that's why. I have better things to do with my time than wet-nurse a PC through everyday functions such as aquiring a network printer, or stopping and starting the print spool, or figuring out why the wireless connection drops all the time, or having to reinstall the entire system once a year because it slows to geologic speed, or figuring out why the new video card hiccups all the time, or why there is no sound, or why the computer won't recognize my headset....the list is endless.The simple fact is this: this new MacBook Pro boots and runs XP faster than any PC I ever bought new ever did. It doesn't crash. It' creators doesn't insult my intelligence by assuming I will not notice the fine details and polish of software and hardware design AND function. The commitment Apple brings to insisting on excellence in ALL of its products is what is sorely missing in American manufacturing as a whole. I will support anyone's love for tinkering with PC's as a hobby and, hey, if that's what floats your boat then keep on truckin'. But the incessant whining about Macs and Apple is a bit old. The amount of it in the preceeding posts is staggering. In fact, it's almost pathologic. If the computer industry in this country continues to set the course for that of the rest of the world, it will be because Apple maintains THE standard of hardware and software design. Ballmer and the guys in Redmond are simply lost in the wilderness now that Gates is gone.So why not just quit bitching about Apple, instead just say "thank you".[/citation]

hear hear ^^ wouldn't put it better ^^

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
[citation][nom]montgora[/nom]I have owned five macs since 1989. I have also owned five PC's running XP since 2000. [/citation]

While talking about pathologic problems of some people, you should take a moment and look at yourself. Just a moment, and I'll help you with it.

First off, you describe ~10 problems you have with PCs. Most of these are OS/driver problems as much as I can see from your post. And yet, there you go saying that Mac is great cos it runs XP better than a PC? Having problems reinstalling PCs every year, and yet you think you won't need to do the same on Mac? You seem to live in some delusional world, where same software runs better on Apple hardware just cos it has apple on the hood. Am I close? Seems like it. To carry on, you spead of Apple software and hardware design excelence, when 95% of people agree that Macs aren't built that good at all. Oh, riiiight, you said DESIGN. Sure, their DESIGNS are nice, but their BUILDING SKILLS are awfull. They don't even know the basics like "There's no need to have 8-core CPU to run a web browser" or "you can't run much graphics on GT120 GPU"...or even "you need a proper cooling in your machines or they'll die soon".
Oh, and there's nothing AMERICAN in Apple Macs. It's a GLOBAL product, you see, much of both DESIGN and PRODUCING is made in countries like I don't know.. CHINA. Ooops, sorry, that must have hurt your feelings as a proud Apple-American.

Sorry for sounding like a true troll, but I kinda can't stand people that are trying to hide their own "trollishness" behind a mask which has American flag over it with little apples instead of stars and all that :p

Oh, and sorry to bring a bad news to you... but you just wasted 3000$ this January :)

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
[citation][nom]montgora[/nom]So why not just quit bitching about Apple, instead just say "thank you".[/citation]

Oh, forgot to say my thanks...
Thank you Apple for taking HIS money, not mine ;)

rosskey711

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Is it the pricing?
Yes they need to lower their prices to compete with PC's
Is it the software?
No their software is great
Is it the operating system?
No I love their OS it's very pretty
Is it the compatibility?
Yes because i'm a HC gamer..
Is it Mac users?
Yes i absolutely detest Mac users. I saw a survey that Macs caused smugness. Mac users are arrogant and some use macs because they think they pay 3000 dollars they will get a good machine and some are just computer retarded
Or is it simply that it's Apple?
yes to this also because Steve Jobs is being 10X worse than MS has ever been... Calling jailbreaking illegal come on Jobs really. Apple acts like it's a monopoly even though it couldn't be further from the truth.

merickel

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]montgora[/nom]I have owned five macs since 1989. I have also owned five PC's running XP since 2000. Currently, I run three macs and three XP PC's in my home. I am proficient to a better than average degree with both. Want to know why I invested $3000 on a MacBook Pro running Parallels in January of this year? Because life is too short, that's why. I have better things to do with my time than wet-nurse a PC through everyday functions such as aquiring a network printer, or stopping and starting the print spool, or figuring out why the wireless connection drops all the time, or having to reinstall the entire system once a year because it slows to geologic speed, or figuring out why the new video card hiccups all the time, or why there is no sound, or why the computer won't recognize my headset....the list is endless.The simple fact is this: this new MacBook Pro boots and runs XP faster than any PC I ever bought new ever did. It doesn't crash. It' creators doesn't insult my intelligence by assuming I will not notice the fine details and polish of software and hardware design AND function. The commitment Apple brings to insisting on excellence in ALL of its products is what is sorely missing in American manufacturing as a whole. I will support anyone's love for tinkering with PC's as a hobby and, hey, if that's what floats your boat then keep on truckin'. But the incessant whining about Macs and Apple is a bit old. The amount of it in the preceeding posts is staggering. In fact, it's almost pathologic. If the computer industry in this country continues to set the course for that of the rest of the world, it will be because Apple maintains THE standard of hardware and software design. Ballmer and the guys in Redmond are simply lost in the wilderness now that Gates is gone.So why not just quit bitching about Apple, instead just say "thank you".[/citation]

And how exactly is your precious apple doing without the messiah at the helm? I heard that there bringing back the newton guys!

G

I would say the price but I purchased the leopard family 5 pack for $199 to assuage my guilt and have been having a blast putting leopard (hackintosh) on various intels. Msi wind (msiwindosx) notebook and desktop and generic boxen so far. This is a builder site for crying out loud, You don't like a system because it's users are smug? meow!

I like my gentoo windowmaker box best but os x has it's appeal.

svenolsen

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]merickel[/nom]You sir are an idiot. To take my comment that far out of context just shows how moronic you really are. I do believe that dell offers an accidental coverage that does just that; it covers anything. I suggest you do your homework and try again. What is bad business practices, however, is telling your customers that they are getting one thing when they purchase a product and to give them something else. I know that this is not just an isolated incident, and that it has happened to many people at many different locations. Also, now that we are talking about bad business practices, how do you explain the fixed price of mac products everywhere? I believe that price fixing is considered illegal in the United States, yet apple still insists that all vendors of its products sell at or above the MSRP and if they decide otherwise they will no longer be licensed to sell apple products. All i have to say is that apple is a very shady company that has a track record of pushing the boundaries of what is legal while pursuing tooth and nail anyone that comes anywhere close to infringing on their legal rights (read profits).[/citation]

Before slamming the author, i suggest you yourself do some "homework" hey? You clearly don't know what price fixing is. Before attempting to respond and trying to look intelligent, i suggest you do research of your own. You made yourself look like a tool.

T-Bone

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
1st, If you are having troubles with acquiring network printers, fiddling with printer spool, dropped wireless connections but yet you still believe that you are "proficient to a better than average degree" in Windows then you also have 1 other problem...you are delusional as well. Go pedal your "it just works better" else where.

As for custom builds vs Mac: I agree that builds will blow Mac away but that's the case for any build vs non-build. I think a stronger case is that you can get a better deal (price, power, software, options) with virtually any other pre-built system (dell, gateway, hp, lenovo, even alienware.) Actually, go to a store (bestbuy, fryes, etc.) and you can get better deals there as well.

Apple needs to open up their OS to all hardware...but they can't because it would be the end for them if they did. Why? Because then you'd really see what it takes to be truly compatible and ubiquitous like Windows; if you think Windows has a lot of quirks wait till you see what OSx would be like if it tried to be able to support even a fraction of the hardware and software that Windows supports.

merickel

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]svenolsen[/nom]Before slamming the author, i suggest you yourself do some "homework" hey? You clearly don't know what price fixing is. Before attempting to respond and trying to look intelligent, i suggest you do research of your own. You made yourself look like a tool.[/citation]
Your name is Sven, therefore your argument is invalid you ignorant discarded colostomy bag. In case you needed help with what price fixing is, I suggest you read this page http://business-law.freeadvice.com/trade_regulation/price_fixing.htm

G

I consider myself one of the very few people with my level of technical expertise that owns a mac as his primary computer. I can build a computer (and have done so for money on many occasions) and I work in video game development. I made the switch to Mac about a year ago, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a mac notebook, even for the markup. Quite simply, their notebooks work with less fuss, they run quieter, and while having a dual OS setup is not the easiest thing in the world, Apple does a pretty good job of making sure that all the correct drivers are present at the time of install. I also appreciate the design - the new aluminum frames feel quite a bit more sturdy than your average notebook on the market that is made primarily of plastic. While this may be purely psychological, there is something to be said about piece of mind. I also appreciate that Apple doesn't load your computer up with useless software like "Free AOL Trial!!" on the install disc. The upgrade argument is moot when discussing laptops, since no laptop is easily upgradeable.

While Macs are not inherently more secure, the fact that few virus writers have bothered to write viruses that affect Macs is still an important consideration and this has the end result of making Macs safer. Until the virus-writing community decides to change its tune, this is still an important consideration in favor of Macs.

As has been noted, Apple sells a lifestyle. Its users are upper-middle-class hipsters in advertising, the arts, etc. They use their computers to sit in coffee shops and write while listening to their indie music on their ipod. Their Mac fits the post-modern-bulls*** decor in their custom-designed house. And I agree, they're snooty. But frankly, they'd be snooty whether they owned a Mac or not. It's not like Steve Jobs came along and increased their level of snoot tenfold.

To me, the primary reason that I had stuck with PCs is the choice of hardware for gaming. But frankly, I think gaming via the PC is going the way of the dinosaur. Companies are slowly phasing out PC-exclusives. Sales numbers are consistently way down on PC (while soaring on X360 and PS3.) Even on the PC's bread-and-butter, the first-person-shooter, consoles have gained a major foothold. Sure, the games might look better on the PC (the games that are released for PC, that is.) But game companies tolerate PC crashes far more than they tolerate console crashes. Thus, games released on PC end up being less stable than their console counterparts. The result is a much better gaming experience on the console.

Apple knows that 1: its target user doesn't know what newegg.com is, much less knows how to shop for computer parts, 2: is rich, and 3: appreciates having shiny, pretty things that all work together seamlessly. The pricing on Apple products is reflective of this. They certainly have some options that aren't readily available (toslink miniplug jack on airport express comes to mind) but the cost is only justified if you consider the seamless integration of all apple products put together.

Aside from the ridiculous pricing on upgrades, my main wish is that Apple branched out a bit from that niche it fills, and at least offered more sensibly-designed packages designed for the power-user. There are certainly hipsters with the technical expertise to know what Apple is shilling, and they aren't easily fooled by the propaganda machine, even if they like the stylishly-designed laptops and desktops. It wouldn't take much to maintain a reasonably up-to-date offering of video cards, for example. This is the kind of change that would at least allow the technically-inclined Mac-haters to offer grudging respect for the computing power of its offerings; mac users would only be stupid for paying the 50% markup, as opposed to paying the markup and getting an inferior product to boot.

jiro

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Is it the pricing? YES
Is it the software? YES
Is it the operating system? YES
Is it the compatibility? YES
Is it Mac users? YES
Or is it simply that it's Apple? YES

i guess i hate everything about Apple.
so what's there to like?
the looks? YES! but in our case (non apple users) we MODIFY! oh... thats another thing we hate about apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS