QOTD: What IT Certifications Do You Possess?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
None lol. What do you expect from a 15 year old? :na: ok maybe A+, and I had the opportunity to do it at some Rouge Valley Mavrin Computer center thingy, but it was boring and took too long, so I quit. I'm not sure if they had the real A+ info there, but what they had was VERY boring, all the stuff I already knew... that I had to click through.

Honestly, they had a bunch of Dells with Extreme procs (well at least the sticker outside of it with Intel's logo was black, never had a clear good look at it since it was on the ground, woulda looked weird crouching over, wouldn't look good if I was in system info), and they had like 1080p monitors set at a completely weird resolution. So yea, Toronto is spoiled...

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I have no certificates. I have a 4 year bachelors from a major university. I am the Director of IT for my company. I always take a college degree + experience before any certification(without the prior). Certifications are for people who could not complete a valid degree (Those who have not). Have I looked at certs, yes I have however it comes down to this. I know guys who got accounting degrees as their bachelors and tool Microsoft certification (read the books) and passed the testes without even touching a computer in real life.
Don't short change yourself. Go get your college degree. At that point, its fine to supplement that degree with certs. I know this may be rough to head for some but listen, most good jobs wont let you in the door without the degree first. You would not work in my shop.

ponchato

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]tleavit[/nom]tleavit's post[/citation]

No one would want to work in your shop if they need a 4 year degree to troubleshoot Windows.

manicmalki

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
A+ and DCSE I am thinking long and hard about getting my mcse and n+. However from my real world experence and employment status I give them a F-

G

BInfSci in CompSci from Massey University (www.massey.ac.nz). I currently develop in rails. I admin the database, the dns, the Ubuntu box, apache, passenger, svn, git, testing, staging, deployment... I'm pretty much a one-stop rails shop. I am 6 months out of Uni and now the sole developer of a fast expanding website, plus 2-3 hangers on.

My personality, confidence and passion got me the job. My competence and results got me my current position.

I "technically" graduate in 2 weeks. So "technically" I have no qualification.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
expired ccna (old version 2), a bunch of 'certificates' proving I've attended various courses including 'wireless hacking' and 'attaching ends to fiber cables' (sc and st) ; nothing recent or useful.

bliq

Distinguished
Wow, lot's of competition with Microsoft stuff. I haven't really touched the stuff in about 5 or 6 years. I've got an RHCE. I work almost exclusively on FreeBSD at the moment, with a Mac OSX desktop (well, laptop really). Why are there so many Microsoft and Cisco certified people around here? Is it easy to get? Is there really a bigger market for Microsoft and Cisco certified people? I see there are few RHCEs, CCIEs, and CISSP's. My undertanding is that those are among the tougher certs to get and therefore actually mean something to an employer. What do you guys think? And as someone who makes some hiring decisions, certs do matter...

Status
Not open for further replies.