QOTD: What IT Certifications Do You Possess?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponchato

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I don't understand how the A+ certification can qualify you for a job. I looked at some practice test for it and answered a good portion (around 80%) correctly, and I'm 15. I guess it's to make sure the person you're about to hire isn't computer-illiterate?

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Who really cares for a useless piece of paper? It doesn't reflect in any way the knowledge or abilities of a person. It's just another facet of "modern" bureaucracy, and a way to milk more the gullible, by the "education" establishment.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I have A+, Net+, MCP (Windows Server 2003). Was working on MSCE2003 until a job change. I hold a B.S. in "Engineering Technology" from EWU. 15 years experience in I.T.

That said, I find certification reletively worthless with the exception of pushing you past a warm-body-idiot in a HR office who does not know what they are anyway (or doesn't care).

I can tell you that the theory is a good baseline, and is at best suggestive for what you will see on the job.

masterwhitman

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Certs are fine if you need to impress consumers and some low-level managers. Most pros would rather have someone that knows what they're doing, rather than someone that can study for a test. I know plenty of people with myriad certs that have absolutely no troubleshooting skills. Knowing it and applying it are different things. Most certs are invalid within 3 years anyway, just a good way for manufacturers to collect extra cash.

chris_cro_cop

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
does the DHTI+ certification really matter for one exploring a career in home theater ? also what other certifications would be good to have for one venturing into this field, as the field seems to bridging with wireless tech and networking? any response or suggestions would be appreciated

masterwhitman

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Having said that, there are some certs that are necessary if you plan to work in a particular field (programming certs, CISSP, CCIE, etc.) These are unavoidable, as it's nearly impossible to get a job w/o them.

theangrygimp

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
A+ , MCSE
People saying that certifications don't mean much, don't you realize that it is a big part in showing your potential employers that you are willing to work at furthering your education beyond just what your job needs. Businesses like seeing that your willing to at least take on a challenge, and follow through till its finished. No, A+, etc.. don't make you an expert, but it shows the willingness to become one through higher education, which should benefit the company through your improved work. Real careers, not just "jobs" almost always require more education down the road to stay competitive in the world. It shows your willing to go the extra mile, and that's worth a lot to potential employers.
Its worth noting that while many people get certified, not all schools and courses are equal. Many schools just hand out cert.'s like candy to just keep money rolling in. Make sure you study the school, and ask the instructors a few tough questions (look up a couple you yourself don't understand, and the answers). Make sure its not just another karate class handing out blackbelts to keep parent money flowing.
I have lots of real world experience that Administrators don't! Like putting thousands of RJ-45 connectors on CAT5e cables every day! (I hate my job...)
If an administrator can't even crimp a rj45 connector, they shouldn't be administrating anything with networks. A good leader knows, at least, the basics of the jobs under him/her. No offense, but knowing how to properly crimp a cat5 cable is day one job knowledge for working with networks.

theangrygimp

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I don't work professionally these days though, due much to my disability from my military service, I can not get around well enough to keep running around high rise office buildings...If i could run, that is.

aldoenviro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
I have been in the industry for almost 10 years. I don't have any certs. I have an AAS in Data Communications. That was enough to get me my first IT job. I am now the senior network engineer for a technology firm. I have worked alongside folks with certifications and I have been involved in the hiring process for years. The only certs that ever seemed to make a difference in an employee's core technical abilities are the Cisco certs. Sometimes a large number of certs forces more scrutiny on an applicant. It begs the question of "Are they trying to hide some deficiencies with all this paper?" It has always been important to gauge aptitude in many ways. Certification is very low on the list with me and my company in determining the qualifications of an applicant. However, it seems, from a working standpoint, that Cisco certified techs tend to have their heads on straight. It is hard to tell if the Cisco certification makes a tech better or maybe good techs just tend to certify in Cisco products. I don't want to tell anyone to stay away from certs, but if you do pursue certs, you better be able to back them up with actual skills and knowledge or you could do more harm than good.

G

There are a lot of insecure people in this thread who lucked their way into a tech job without degrees or certifications and are offended that anyone would ask them to prove that they actually know anything by taking a certification test. This is typical of the passive aggressive IT type that is rampant in the industry. One guy even said he is LESS likely to hire a tech with certs. That just screams, "I'm intimidated by people with certs."

Trust me, having additional education and certifications can only help your career. If a company doesn't want to hire you because you have "too much education" or "too many professional certifications" then I don't think that's the kind of company you want to work for anyway.

It's fine and well to take that elitist, "I'm so good I don't NEED any pieces of paper backing me" while you're employed. When your resume lands in the pile looking identical in terms of skills you claim to have to everyone else, but you have no degree and no certs, expect the next stop for your resume to be the circular filing cabinet under HR's desk.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Easy way to see if employers are looking for a particular cert is to type the certification acronym in the search box at Monster.com. Allot of times in the job description it will say B.S or equivelant experiance. Very rarely does it say that for a particular cert that the company is looking for. If you where able to get into the business without a cert then that is great. I did the same thing so I know if it possible. Just makes it a little easier if you do have a cert and they will almost always make your resume easier to find when the employers do searches on Job sites. Give it a try though. go to Monster.com and type in CCNP, or CCSE or CISSP, or CCIE. See what comes up. You will see a bunch of jobs show up with those acronyms in there.

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
B-Eng Hons in Mechanical engineering? I find that most people in my field (Business Analyst/Application Support) do not possess native IT qualifications. Courses on the products we use seem to also be largely innappropriate and a waste of money as they either are aimed at the complete beginnner or the developer.

I'd like to see practical qualifications in IT more widespread and more relevant. Anyone suggest anything over this side of the pond? (UK)

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I have an A+ Certification, did have MCP, and then I got my RRT, RCP, CRTT. Once I got that I never bothered with Computer Certifications ever again. RRT=Registered Repiratory Therapist and RCP is Repiratory Care Practioner... Still all that computer training stuff came in handy for my needs.

G

MCSE: Security, MCSA: Security, MCDST, MCP, MCTS: Windows Vista Configuration, Network+, A+

oneseraph

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Certs: MCSE 2000, Masters QED, CTM
With that said certifications tend not to be very meaningful metrics for determining the "real" skills of IT professionals. Enthusiasts with passion for the technology they are working with are often more productive and more broadly Knowledgeable, in my Experience. The real problem for Human resources is that eduction is an action not a result. We all know that post certification retention levels are very low. Most studies I have read put post exam retention at between 10% on the low end and about 30% for the top one percent. This suggests that only 1-5 people out of every 100 who are issued certifications have the knowledge and skills to do the job they were hired to do, on the first day of work. IT departments should focus on internal education, training and advancement for anything other than the most entry level positions whenever possible.
In short, When I read a resume with a list of certifications as long as my arm I have to remember that the certification tell me very little about the real world skill the applicant possess. I know from experience that people with no formal (training/education) yet have enthusiasm and passion for the work tend to be the real drivers on the IT team. Sometimes you get lucky and you get both, But that is rare indeed.

g0rilla

Distinguished
May 15, 2007
I have a degree from Jimbo's Computer School of Hard Knocks. Here we come, system administrator job! My company's subcontracted computer jerk is gonna hate me.

onsiteone

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
certifications? LOL. A+ from 10yrs ago, and dropped out of the university game during my 4th yr as a Computer Science major. Everything else I chalk it up to experience since high school. Been running a successful computer consulting/services business for the past 6yrs.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
i've worked with people that have certs and are completely clueless.... i've also worked with ones that have certs and got them just to get a better paycheck and know their shit. My simple observation is that real world experience and actual intelligence will win out. I've known red necks that know nothing about pc's end up doing some of the best tech work simply because they are observant and have a "knack" for fixing things. I've also seen complete genius' know almost nothing about actually fixing a pc even when it should be completely obvious...

anywho, no certs here atm. i'm holding out because i don't want to "pay the man" A+ = simple, anyone can consume and regurgitate information. Applying your intelligence or said information is completely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.