QOTD: What IT Certifications Do You Possess?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theramman

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Cert. in Network Admin form local collage! Just finished the other day!
Just need to take my test in A+ Hardware + Software, Net Securities, Microsoft Server 2003 + Active Directory + Net Services. then find a job to put it to good use ;)

scmeis1

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
CCNA/CCNP/CCIP,CCNA-wireless, CCIE R&S (written), CCIE wireless (written), MCP, SCNA (Solaris 10), A+, Solaris hardware, HP hardware, IBM hardware

2nd attempt at lab in october, and wireless ccie lab in december

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
A+ / Net+

Certs & Diplomas may get you the interview, but proof that you can do the job and real world experience get you hired.

freiheitner

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
[citation][nom]sniper3000gt[/nom]I have A+ Network + and Apple ACSP 10.5 Almost had Security+ and CCNA, but never got back to them.[/citation]

Hey, how hard is that ACSP test for someone who uses MacOS X daily and knows enough in general about computers to have his A+ and Net+ certs?

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
In this world of corporate greed certifications are worthless. Find an employer first who won't screw everyone under him, have him treat you like a human, recognize your potential, and then, MAYBE, that stuff you have on your resume will get you somewhere.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I work in customer tech services for one of the highest tech companies in the US (we make mass spectrometers, among other things). I have no IT certs, but have considered it. IT calls me when they can't figure out what is wrong, and I call them to let them know something is wrong (e.g. one of their scripts can delete entire hard drives... this happened!). It is not always about the certs (unless you're really looking for a job), it is about what you know and how fast you can know it. I've just never been interested in paying someone to tell me that I know what I already know. Must be a rebel thing and maybe I will change my thinking on this.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
There isnt a single cert worth it aside from cisco stuff. No one looks at that garbage unless you have less than 2 years experience. And if that's the case, even if you have every cert in the book, you'll likely loose out to all the 15+ year experience guys who are settling for lower IT market jobs after layoffs.

Certs are just cash cows for schools and the cert bodies. Specially apple. Those douches gouge so bad for their test fees, holy crap.

I always love when the cert argument comes up. Hell, my cousin who's just joined the military got his A+, N+, S+, and net+, and still couldnt fight his way out of a paper bag.

Certs = 0
Experience = 1

gomobo75

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Twoboxer[/nom]Hehe. CDP issued 1972, IIRC[/citation]

So you don't actually have any IT certifications?

gomobo75

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
[citation][nom]gomobo75[/nom]So you don't actually have any IT certifications?[/citation]

That wasn't meant for you (freaking mouse!)

gomobo75

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
A+, MCDST (thus MCP), I'm "upgrading" MCDST to MCITPRO Enterprise Support next month and working on N+ right now. Then going to CCNP/CCNA bootcamp probably in September. Then just a few more tests for MCSA next year if money permits.

G

There are those who write RFCs, those who implement RFCs, and those who have to memorize port numbers and syntax to pass a stupid exam.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Daller[/nom]NONE! IT certifications are for the working class hero.. not the academic![/citation]

:)
You deserve a cookie with sprinkles.

I could go for my A+ easily, and my neighbor is a professional programmer, so he would help me get all the certs that I need if I wanted, but I'm a but lazy.
Instead of getting my A+, I spent the day prepping a private jet for painting (and I can't even afford to upgrade to 2 gigs of ram...).

Also, in my city, A+ certs have helped no one get any entry-level tech jobs. A+ isn't enough for my local BestBuy.
I live in Alberta, Canada.

Bahaha my boss and his brother (co-owner) and sister (shop assistant) have none! AND I WORK AS THERE TECH IN A COMPUTER SHOP FRONT! *gets annoying trust me* and even my previous boss, and the last 5 managers.

As for me? Failed all computer subjects in school (got kicked out of the classes) but blitzed everything after that etc, but yes its all useless when you dont have any experience - now im beyond 5 years as head tech.

my_name_is_earl

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Actually if I were to hire. I'll go with someone who have Tons of experience and a most creative portfolio. Some people won't last if they don't have any experience in an actual workplace. "Your house" don't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.