QOTD: What Would You Remove/Add to Win 7?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FHDelux

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
#1. No rebooting when installing updates.
#2. Optional Hardware activation like a USB key, so for frequent hardware upgraders we dont have to keep the activation center on speed dial.
#3. Tone down the marketing hype, is only going to fool people until people start getting their hands on it.

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
ability to turn off the drag to the top for full screen or to the side for half screen. sometimes i'll be surfing half screen be watching a video and burning a dvd or cd and when you try to move them around so you can see them all BAM drives me freakin nuts. other than that i really enjoy everything else about win 7 so far and i'm looking forward to the release candidate

G

I'll make an exception on replying to this topic, since I dislike questions, but I just love to give my opinion about the newer windows!

I'd definitely remove a lot of the background tasking and automated tasks from loading. All these prefetch, analytical and background tasking to make applications load faster is just a waste of a time!
Many pc's actually do better without! And many pc's are used differently every time they get used!
No reason to put that in a script; a lot of that prefetching data proves to actually work against the user instead of for the user.

I'd also remove all visual appearance at once!
No video previews, no transparent windows, no Vista looks,... Heck, I don't even have a background and use screensaver blank to save system resources.

Just plain old Win 2000 looks!

You'd be amazed how much resources it takes for a machine to run previews you could see for just one click less clicking.

I'd be happy to bring ideas to create a multi threaded, Win 98-like windows with modern driver support that way!

Simply all written programs Windows has created lately just simply suck!
I'd also get rid of Windows defrag.
Windows defrag is actually not defragging, but spreading all files around!
Why is a system faster on installation? because all files within a folder stick together in one cluster on the HD. As soon as Windows defrag starts messing with those files they're all over the disk! Yes, the fragments neatly arranged next to other files, but away from the directory structure.

Windows Media player just is a big resource hog, just like Internet explorer!
I could not believe my eyes, always using Firefox, that internet explorer 7 actually uses more than 600MB of my ram when in use,while firefox goes with 380MB.
So Windows media player with all that internet and library stuff going on, just give me the plain Media Player Classic, with a good codec pack to support the various file types.

All the "my documents" standardized folders!
I hate there to be folders that I'll never use!
If you download files they often have their own directory, or a clever person creates a directory easily accessible for him. I am absolutely not fond of "my video's", "My pictures", "my downloaded files", I mean, some operating systems won't even allow me to delete those folders!
I don't need them on my HD, they only clog my view!

I'd go to back to a plain "Users", "Program files", "temp", and "Windows" folders in the root. Get rid of all the hundred tmp, scandisk, and boot files.

Recycle bin;more a pain in the butt than actually usefull; all external HD's and flash cards need no recycle bin, but my c:\ drive needs it. But somehow Windows just never gets that?

Windows system restore: Never actually used it; it's not even enabled on my pc. It takes too much space. for 4GB I can take a snapshot of my whole pc with Norton Ghost! Norton Ghost also compresses the data, and that is what I need. No system resource hog restore function that only works half ass.

No automated playback of diskdrives. It's driving me nuts to teach my pc how to act with every other SD card I pop in! (not to mention the recycle bin,and system restore folder it adds unto my card!)

I'd definitely add a more professional disk management tool; one which supports more disk formats (eg: NTFS,FAT, ExFAT, and some linux formats). A tool which also is capable of recognizing and creating separate partitions on a disk,more advanced than Vista's or XP's.

I agree with above: Networking is just a disaster in Vista! It's bad in XP, but a disaster in Vista. It's not logical, straight forward!
On wireless connection in system tray, a rightclick should show me (a window of) the available wireless networks, not another window directing me to wireless center that could give me the propreties of the wireless then via that to the available connections... It just plain SUCKS!
They say it's better but it isn't!
Besides, Vista is many times slower connecting to a wireless network than XP is! Why?

I'd also get rid of all "NT UNINSTALL"folders in windows. Too much data gets added everytime a program gets installed.
Simply trust that a user can re-install software from a CD-ROM, or download from the internet. There's no need to keep an extra copy somewhere hidden in the windows folder!

I agree with joerman42, replace the internal Windows winzip with 7zip!
Best freeware out there, replaces and bests nearly all compression programs, including winrar (despite it worse user interface)!

I personally also dislike the Windows Vista start menu!
Windows XP and Win98 is more intuitive!
In XP/98/NT/2000 you always had the same structure, and could browse through the menu's to find a program. Now you can't browse folders anymore. Going forward and back in folders on the startbar just sucks big time!
The search function in the start bar is good though. About the only thing I would want to remain.

Indexing, DISABLE! I mean not a single time in my life did I need it!
My disk contents change so often that it actually works against me.
Indexing service indexes files I'd never need to search!
If there might be 2 folders that need indexing, it's the start bar, and program files. And maybe in time my favorites!
That's all for me. It's much better to search a file on a non indexed disk if you only search once a year or so.

Display properties! SUCK in vista!
In Win 95 there was the tabbed view we got to know, and it seemed a very effective way to view in one window your resolution settings, and color settings, desktop background and themes etc. Now with Vista I find they took a step back. If it where upto me, BACK WITH TABBED DISPLAY PROPERTIES!!!

Windows Vista is NOT intuitive! Certain places you get to know with about every windows, like right clicking my computer and selecting properties to get the list of hardware and software drivers disappeared;I'm sure to the discontent of many who learned to use computers from the days of Win95!

And last but not least, a better web experience security, by disabling automated tasks. Webpages should standard display text,main layout and images. Get rid of flash or silverlight, and back to the most effective net experience we ever had!
Yes, internet with it's ads is going downhill. The user experience shouldn't suffer from it. There's a reason GOOGLE gets more searches than all other searchengines together!
Because it's ads are discreet! No jumping text messages, no hairloss or wheight loss ads, no downloading of half a movie just to see the theatric trailer of barbie and the pimple girls, no banners and popups that keep on bothering, and especially lately, no yellow bars acting like iexplore's security warnings!
Get rid of the need to install all this visual crap add-ons people don't want, and perhaps only when watching a youtube video we see something more than the regular layout/text/pictures.

G

Ow,an interesting feat might be to input the installation data (like name, computer name, network, date,keyb layout etc...) at the beginning when the computer is already installing windows in the background!
It saves you time!
No longer waiting until all windows are filled in before installing, or waiting to input all this data after a 30 minute installation.
simply everything at the beginning!

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Off the top of my head I would add: Custom installation. And not just "do you want IE7 or IE8" or somoething stupid like that. Full options to remove just about every default program installed by MS as well as driver installation at time of install using alternative source (ie flash drive, other DVD drive, etc)

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Microsoft should add an integrated internet security suite which includes:

better firewall with better control panel
antivirus software
antispam software which integrates with outlook express and outlook
antispyware software

they should also add to internet explorer noscript and adblock plus like plugins.

they should also allow us to change the size of taskbar previews and alt+tab previews without having to resort to registry hacks and 3rd party software, see Ave Thumbnail Sizer.

Finally they should allow us to move around taskbar items like Taskbar Shuffle

thedipper

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]marsax73[/nom]If they could just make it work as efficient as XP, then that's all I care about. Vista took a ridiculous amount of resources. I don't mind the GUI (almost identical to Vista). I do agree with others here...allow the user to decide what to install -- IE, Media Player, etc.[/citation]
Vista and Win7 are not less efficient than XP, moreso actually. The reason they use more resources is because YOU aren't using those resources, so it uses them to speed up the system. It's safe to say that Windows Vista/7 use about 300mb of memory, all extra from that can be stowed away when you need to use it.

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
First Tool I would add is something like Spacemonger.
I would add real Multi-Core Capability or sell a Multi-Core OS that operates simular to the PS 3. To help with this Programs would operate in a transparent seperate space from the OS Kernal so crashes wouldn't kill the OS.
Really expand on Windows Live and get rid of the current system. I would make it so you could purchase or Rent Music (Music Videos would be part of the Music Purchase), Games, Movies, etc (this would be stored forever and you could choose to Stream to your computer or download). You could purchase off site space to store important information with 2 GB Free per User up to 5 Users.
VOIP integration would be tied to the Windows Live User and Master Account (Master Account would be simular to a phone number).

superhighperf

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
more options at install. i would like that. it seems like i waste a lot of time adjusting the os after install. it would be nice if those options were available when installing.

G

No one else is concerned about native Blu-Ray playback support? PowerDVD is a fine stopgap, but I really hate the idea of having to launch extra apps with non-native scrub bars and the like from inside of Media Center.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
All I would like to see is a Native ability to mount Virtual Drives.

Now that W7 has a native hook for .iso's and .img's it souldnt be much harder to now create virtual drives.

LaughALot

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Registry need to be redesigned. Each driver should have it's own registry. And if would be nice if applications had there only registry.
Thus at boot up (or mounting a drive) the system would search each drive attached to the system for a drive registry, the drive registry would point to various application registry.

eraigames

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I would drop support for all the useless old tech like floppy drives, IDE & 32bit/16bit software then add support for current and upcoming tech like USB3, booting from alternative media, SSDs, touch screens, HTPCs, computers with lots of RAM etc. I would also get rid of the current approach to languages/regional versions and make only 1 version of Windows with interchangeable language packs. Lastly, I would completely redo the start bar/menu.

thedipper

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Cuddles[/nom]I would add real Multi-Core Capability or sell a Multi-Core OS that operates simular to the PS 3. To help with this Programs would operate in a transparent seperate space from the OS Kernal so crashes wouldn't kill the OS.[/citation]
You know you just descibed Windows, right?

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
ProDigit, please read:

"Recommended System Requirements

■1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

■1 GB of system memory

■40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space

■Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:

◦WDDM Driver
◦128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
◦Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
◦32 bits per pixel
■DVD-ROM drive

■Audio Output"

Any 'recent' (And I mean that in the most relaxed way) computer will run everything you 'dont' want just fine. Quit trolling the Win7 threads with your garbage.

And your second post reveals that you've seriously never installed vista before.

ava__

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]curnel_d[/nom]ProDigit, please read:"Recommended System Requirements bla-bla[/citation]

curnel_d, please don't believe everything you read, especially about Microsoft "recommended system requirements".

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]ava__[/nom]curnel_d, please don't believe everything you read, especially about Microsoft "recommended system requirements".[/citation]
I know what the recommended system requirements are, and what the 'real' system requirements are, hotlips. That post was neither about you, or directed towards you in any way. It was a smartass remark to Prodigit to continue with the past two hundred win7 threads he and I have trolled each other on.

Dont reveal your ignorance by treating my like an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.