QOTD: What Would You Remove/Add to Win 7?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see a way to set the load order and/or dependencies manually on all Startup items, regardless of where they reside (Startup folder(s), ..\Run or ..\Services in Registry, winstart.bat, etc)...put them in ONE place for control purposes.
Interface could be a simple list to order as you like, plus a check box, "wait until previous item has loaded."

hardwarekid9756

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
The ability to strip windows down to a driver structure, a window structure, and an application platform.-
pretty much the ability to remove EVERYTHING, from network protocol to Notepad. Essentially, I want a Debian Windows. The ability to just install the app platform, the driver structure and a GUI, and then, say, install my apps, programs, features ETC.

A modified File System would be nice, too. I liked the concept of WinFS and want it. NTFS is getting long in the tooth, is inefficient and not very robust anymore. WinFS was amazing and I want it!

If I can't have a super-stripped windows, then i want a super-robust powertoy platform. Something that makes plugins a lot more easy.

iNode

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
THIS IS THE WAY.

DATA (LIBRARIES AS THEY CALL IT) SHOULD BE STORED IN A SEPARATE PARTITION. THIS ENABLES EASY BACK UP IN CASE OF THE LOSS OF OPERATING SYSTEM AS WELL EASY ACCESS TO FILES TO BACKUP AND ORGANIZE.

THE OPERATING SYSTEM SHOULD BE COMPLETELY BARE. NO IE, NO MEDIA PLAYER. IT SHOULD ALLOW USERS TO CHOOSE TO INSTALL THESE PROGRAMS.

THE GUI SHOULD BE A LOT EASIER TO CUSTOMIZE.

I GOT A WHOLE TON OF THINGS THAT COULD IMPROVE IT. MICROSOFT SHOULD HIGHER ME IN ORDER TO SET THE DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF WINDOWS 7. BUT I KNOW THEY WONT SO :(

matkins75

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
True multi-monitor support. More and more people are using multiple displays these days, and to have a taskbar on each screen and other related options should be fundamental by now.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I'll stick to my theme here. UAC sucks. Everything that questions you on whether you really want to do something needs to either go, or give very specific warnings. An example would be, "a process wants to change the system settings", WTF does that mean? Something usefull would be; "A process is trying to replace (fill in file here) which is a windows verified file and replace it with an unverified file." Or "A process is trying to grant itself access to the internet and send information out."

G

Add an `up one level` button dagnabbit!

I also like the ideas of Exposé, the *option* to have a taskbar on every screen, and some kind of backward-compatibility emulation or virtualization that supports Direct3D/OpenGL.

Another cool thing to see would be a user-friendly alternative shell API so that third parties can more easily create completely different UIs. At the minimum the ability to add/remove/rearrange nearly any aspect of the UI would be nice.

I also agree that the signed driver requirement should be removed. I can't tell you how many times I've only been able to get hardware to work using `special` drivers. Also, what if someone wanted to make their own drivers? (not necessarily for physical hardware)

G

Virtual machines!

I want to be able to run multiple instances of autonomous Windows Images.
Take advantage of virtualization hardware technologies built into our dual/quad core cpus...

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I'd like to be able to separate the installation of applications and user data from the OS, so I could have all my user data and applications installed on a flash drive and plug it into any computer with windows 7 and have them appear in the start menu and desktop.

I'd also like to be able to backup, encrypt and protect that drive.

Purrorritt

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Remove svchost and all of the other anonymous-looking programs that make Windows look like it's infected with who-knows-what. Also, allow the user to turn off ANY service, including the internet if desired.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
BIGGEST thing I'd change: Never dim the god flipping screen for a security warning!!! Just dim it a little, jeez, no need to turn it off and back on and back off and back on after I click 'allow'... resets my monitor every day when I use AMD overdrive wtf.

Second thing: stop writing to my hard drive! I don't want windows writing error logs and registry keys to my hard drive every 30 seconds. Some sessions when I surf the internet, I don't want cache! Store it in my RAM! I don't want Windows to touch my HDD. (Not literally don't touch my HDD at all, but you get the idea :))

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Better choices of install options at startup.
I want to be able to UNINSTALL things I dont use: Outlook, mediaplayer, fax, games, MSN and all the extraneous extra fluff I never use. Also the option to uninstall IE would be very helpful - then I can switch browsers at will.

(yes the default setup would be to install everything + the kitchen sink)

babixg

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
ADD GIF support into the image viewer like it always have been in XP.
Don't know why they took it away in Vista and 7.

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Winzip should be apart of windows when you buy it... not just when you buy it with your computer and it comes with a bunch of other trial stuff you don't want. I would add the ability to allocate more graphics RAM to your virtual PC's so they could run more realistically and not choppy sometimes like they do now. And finally I would just build onto each edition to Windows. If you look at DOS commands from XP to Vista they have changed a little. People shouldn't have to learn each DOS for each OS. They should only add features and possibly fix old ones... but only change stuff if necessary. I don't like having to rethink every time I use XP.

G

Multiple desktops: Ex. I want to be in a "bussiness enviroment" when working, with all the program icons and wallpars, and then switch to "game enviroment", with just my game icons and different wallpaper.
Enviroments, could change in 3D motion or any transition really...
Always wanted that...

AngryClown

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Offer a gamer's version- barebones & tweaked.

Add a sidebar gadget - a big red "OFF" button for the n00bs that can't navigate to the correct shutdown option.

G

[citation][nom]curnel_d[/nom]I know what the recommended system requirements are, and what the 'real' system requirements are, hotlips. That post was neither about you, or directed towards you in any way. It was a smartass remark to Prodigit to continue with the past two hundred win7 threads he and I have trolled each other on. Dont reveal your ignorance by treating my like an idiot.[/citation]
Ow, really?
I actually just post and usually never come back checking...
Too many new articles. Today I have a day off, so I come and check back.
Ow, and this is perhaps the second Win7 article I am commenting on...

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
Like a lot of people here, I would like to see a much faster bootup without all the junk files that Windows "needs" to boot up with. A gamers version like AngryClown above suggested would be great coupled with the ability to only install the Windows features you want and not everything Windows wants, which in effect would help with the load times of windows. The Uninstall feature that actually uninstalls everything and a better managment system for files (explorer) and a better/more informative resource manager. I would like to know what makes my system or program crash without having to manually hunt down and then investigate the problem. Just to name a few...

llemm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
Does BSOD appear in Vista and 7? I sure like that to be removed. And I would like to make 7 old hardware friendly. Even atleast to 5 year old Hardwares. so we do not have to buy new Hardware for the OS.

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Ow, really?I actually just post and usually never come back checking...Too many new articles. Today I have a day off, so I come and check back.Ow, and this is perhaps the second Win7 article I am commenting on...[/citation]

\Thumbs-up (For attitude)

Status
Not open for further replies.