QOTD: Which Dead Companies Do You Miss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
what about all those "other" x86 chipmakers? i remember upgrading an old pentium 75Mhz to an IDT Winchip 180Mhz. it was kind of cool for there to be more than two possible chip makers, even if they were all intel designs.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Gainward I don't know why they pulled out of the United States but there cards were top notch there golden sample was so sweet a chip that was overclockable with a warranty and you knew you where getting top tier stuff

Herbert_HA

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Damned, I miss adventure games!! Ok, I know it's not a company, but those games were awesome and i miss them! I remember spending days playing Monkey Island, Indiana Jone, Full Throttle, Heart of China, Dig...wtf happened to Lucas Arts, Sierra and all those other companies????

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Probably Commodore. I was an Amiga user until about 1998. The Amiga is still "kind of" alive (Amiga OS 4.1 was released in September 2008), but it's not the same as it was owning an Amiga in the mid 90's.

3dfx would be a close second. I've owned a Voodoo1, Voodoo3 and Voodoo5 before moving on to Nvidia and then ATI. Good times.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Hmm.. Technics! How I miss Technics! And no, Panasonic can't live up to what Technics stood for.

Also, Sega for making consoles and PowerVR for making consumer products.. I guess we could call them "semi-dead" hehe.

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
When I read the title on the homepage I immediately thought of 3dfx and I got a big smile on my face when I saw the picture above ! So 3dfx it is.

I just hope that if you run the same article in 2 or 3 years that people won't be responding with AMD ....... They have to stay alive so we have someone to keep Intel in line.

Square_Head

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
3dfx totally rocked my world. Hell, its really the only reason I'm loyal to nVidia. I was rocking a Voodoo2 in SLI with (2)12MB cards and a Pentium 2 @333MHz. Talk about killer frame rates with Quake.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
As mentioned Commodore and more especially the Amiga, followed by Sierra Online Pre Sell out days. Ken & Roberta made some cool games back in the day. Also as mentioned 3DFX, but if the Amiga was still around then 3dfx might not be as missed...

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Sinclair, DEC - Digital Corp., Commodore, NeXT.

All had great products somewhere time: Spectrum, Alpha unix servers, Amiga and the NeXT Cube. And 3dfx of course.

G

Commodore, 3dfx, Byte Magazine, "a Real Comdex". I too owned almost all the 3dfx cards, every Commodore from the Vic 20 to the Amiga 4000. Miss the kind of reporting and coverage Byte magazine used to do - perhaps there is just nothing like that left going on...

Big boring companies, doing the slow "evolutionary" waddle for the share holders. Not much left, everybody is making "toasters" now (and not the Video kind either!)

Purrorritt

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Showing my age a bit, but I miss Digital Equipment Corp. The PDP-11 is the bast 16-bit processor ever made, or so say I. The Alpha would be the fastest ship on the market if it kept up with modern chip manufacturing tech.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]IronRyan21[/nom]Packard Bell! My first PC, sadly they aren't around anymore.[/citation]

Yes, they are! At least here in Europe. They were bought by Acer I think, but their product range still continues.

G

How about Quantum? It was my first HDD; I was thinking Seagate as a second hand HDD manufacturer, with Quantum, IBM and WD being top notch..

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
3DFX without a doubt would be at the top of the list.I only had one 3DFX graphics card a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI card but the games and simulations with that card had 3 dimensional graphics that ATI and NVidia could not quite replicate with 3DFX's glide.Sure they could use Open glide but it wasn't quite the same.

G

I miss Ensemble Studios already. Age of Empires 1 and 2 are one of my favorite pc games of all time.

Hopefully one of the spinoff companies will make Age of Empires 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.