QOTD: Which is Your Next PMP: iPod, Zune, Other?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm deaf in one ear, so I need both channels available to one ear; that makes Bluetooth just about the only way. At some point, I'll set up my phone to play MP3 music to a Bluetooth headset. None of this technology (wireless anything, recordable memory devices) is allowed where I work anyway, so I haven't bothered yet.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I use my G1 and my DS bith are not really PMP's but they do it good enough for me not to buy another device fort he specific task.

The bad thing about using those as a PMP is that the DS really does not play video well so its limited for me to audio.
The G1 on the other hand can do both video and audio perfectly but has no battery life to speak of.

webdev511

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2005
Current: Black Zune 30
Next: Black Zune 120 or ZuneHD unless Windows Mobile 7 has Zune support, then I'll just do the phone thing. One less device to lug around.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]The ZuneHD would have been it, if they had gone with an actual HD resolution. Quarter HD would have been great (960x540), but that broke any hope of me buying one.I currently have a Sansa Clip (4GB) that fits my needs, and it only cost me $60, so I don't see the point in any iCrap since they don't do much more than play music, or have a high-def screen.[/citation]
Why would you want 720p resolution on a 3-4 inch screen? The "HD" part is because it can output HD video to a TV. I would really love that feature but you have to use the docking station to do it, which makes it impractical for use as a mobile movie player (unless all your friends get the Zune HD and its docking station...)

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
If I had to buy something, it would probably be a Zune HD. However, I already have a small 4gig Zune, and I've only filled about 10% of it, so I would only get a Zune HD for the wi-fi and movie capabilities. I hope someday microsoft releases a handheld xbox player under the Zune brand. I would jump on that right away. Actually, my ultimate hope would be that someone makes a portable media player that does NOT use proprietary connections/cords.

G

You should check out that Cowon gear! It was way before Iphone or Zune had their popular devices!

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I have no idea what I will get next. My 40GB iPod is still going just fine (actually I think the battery is down to a life of just a few seconds, but I always use it on external power anyhow). I bought it in the bleeding edge days so I want to make sure I get full value for it by using it until it dies or becomes so hopelessly incapable I have no choice but to replace it :)

Personally I want my next device to be more akin to the Star Trek data pads. I want to be able to prop it up beside the table saw and be able to follow a diagram (or other project directions), play music, use it like a book, email and make phone calls through it (via a headset holding something the size of a trade paperback or Kindle to the side of my head might look silly :) ). From what I see of the iPod Touch and iPhone they are simply too small. Netbooks are not the convergence device I hoped for and aren't really sawdust compatible. LOL

Anyone seen a rugged touch screen tablet with a 15-25cm screen that does all this?

G

I have no need for a portable music player, however I bought a Sandisk Sansa Fuze for a sibling. If I were to buy a PMP for myself, I'd probably try to find an older-model Sansa and install 3rd-party firmware on it.

wcarthurii

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Meh, Im still rocking a walkman!!!!

J/k

My G1 handles music, video, internet, phone and more....

Why not have all of it in a phone.

I work 8hrs a day, so I really only use it when im away from my PC

G

Still using my 3 year old Cowon A2. Wouldn't trade it for a brand new iPod.

kakkoii

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
[citation][nom]apmyhr[/nom]Why would you want 720p resolution on a 3-4 inch screen? The "HD" part is because it can output HD video to a TV. I would really love that feature but you have to use the docking station to do it, which makes it impractical for use as a mobile movie player (unless all your friends get the Zune HD and its docking station...)[/citation]

I think the better questiong would be, Why wouldn't you want a 3-4 inch HD screen?

The more pixels, the more detail fits on the screen. If you have a 720p or 1080p screen, then web browsing on the screen fits without having to scroll left and right on the page. Not to mention thing just look that much more wonderful with such a high resolution in so little space. Sadly though, the Zune HD is a poor 480x272. And an OLED screen isn't enough to sway me to use such a low resolution.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Im not a big fan of apple media players, it seems i always got more bang for my buck with sandisk or creative, however, i was considering a ipod touch because of it's surfing capabilities, that is until today, the zune hd sounds like gods personal media player and that's what im going with, my daughter has the zune lite ad i love the zune software.

biometricsguy

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
I've had several of these gadgets over the years. Some decent, some complete garbage (the original Zen micro). Currently I've got the Sansa Clip & I have to say it's the best one I've ever used. It's tiny, easy to use, great sound, has an FM tuner and recorder, sizable storage space for the form-factor (4 GB), and it was dirt-cheap (got it on sale for $30). I've been using it for a good 6 or 7 months now and it has been flawless.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]apmyhr[/nom]Why would you want 720p resolution on a 3-4 inch screen? [/citation]
Where did I say anything about 720p?

qHD and nHD are resolutions meant for mobile applications.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_Full_High_Definition

Even nHD is greater than what was put on the ZuneHD. And the fact of the matter is, the size of the screen doesn't matter, it's how much of your viewable area it takes up.

ksenter

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Honestly, whatever there's a smoking hot deal on. That's why I've been using a first gen brown zune for the past couple of years. It was unbelievably cheap for what you got. Of course when it was bricked back in december/january for a day or so (because of that weird date bug) that made me think twice about buying another, but I got over it. All things considered it has been well worth the price. I've honestly never seen a smoking hot deal on an ipod, but if I did I would consider getting one. I don't dislike ipods, they just seem overpriced to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.