QOTD: Would You Ban Gadgets from Your House?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
My wife's a bit stricter on this idea than I am, but I'm mostly with her. We'll have lots of stuff, but lots of control over it...

- Computer use only under supervision (lessening with age), strictly controlled admin and Internet privileges, logged activity, router based controls, and notifications anytime they're attempted to be circumvented. For legitimate uses (school) access will be uninhibited, but monitored, and a strict white-list of approved websites will be maintained. For other uses (social), thats pretty much not going to happen as it exists online today, and the only online content they'll be publishing is through our family site, not a 3rd party service, and not through their own personal accounts. When we feel they're mature enough (sometime in high school), these restrictions will lessen, as they prove they can handle it. It will be revoked without question anytime we feel its being abused. Gaming will be approved only for games we personally install for them, only if they have no pending school work, and when they've not been grounded from it otherwise, with caps on how much time they play. ALL computers in the house will work only in public areas of the house, no computers in bedrooms at all, and no wireless access so it's easy to maintain that rule. If they're given a laptop by their school for use in school, it will be only for that, and we'll ensure though periodic checks it's not been hacked or bypassed in any way, and they'll use our home computers for everything else. We'll have no shortage of computers or software, but its USE will be far more strictly monitored than TV for sure. Each kid will have their own user account, and they'll be as locked down if not more than what i am here at work... they'll be taught programming, computer use, maintenance, and more, and computers will be integral parts of their lives, but we won't have them bounding about blindly on the net, nor installing software we don't approve (especially illegal licenses, or illegal sharing software). Again, to clarify, privileges will increase with age, maturity, and trust, that idea itself is INTEGRAL to our parenting model. If they can't earn trust, they have no desire to be trustworthy.

- Cell phones: Not until they have a drivers license, and even then highly restricted use. We'll keep a basic "emergency" phone active for the family until then, so when they're traveling without us (with other adult supervision assumed), we'll have a way to contact them. An emergency phone will only be capable of calling my number, my wife's, another emergency family number, and 911. Their friends will not have access to their personal phone number. They will have no text plan, Internet access, or other services, and it will not be a camera phone. They'll borrow one of our real cameras if they need to take pictures of something. Hopefully by the time our kids can drive, there will be phones that self-lock when in motion, so they absolutely can not be used while driving, however, i suspect by then the phone will be integrated, not hand held, so that should not be an issue anyway. They will not have a phone at school, period. We can call the office if we need them, and they should not be calling anyone from the school. The school can easily contact us for them if its an emergency. As for phones in the home, as it was with my parents, they'll initially only be usable in common areas, and they'll have no phones in their bedrooms period. If they need to have a private conversation, they'll have to ask permission, and bring a phone into their room. Again, late in high school years, and as they prove their maturity and trust, restrictions will lax, but they'll never have their own personal phones under our roof as many kids seem to enjoy (and get in trouble with) today. Phone use (and basically all forms of social conversation, online, gaming, etc) will be the first thing taken away as a punishment/grounding. If they want to socialize, we'd much prefer they meet in person and play, preferably outdoors. If they've not gotten enough between school, sports, and play, there should really be no "private" conversations left to have, at least until they begin dating openly (my personal nightmare).

TV: only during family time, or when all homework and chores are complete. We'll DVR what they want so they don't miss shows they care about, so this should not be as much of an issue as it was when i was young. We have 2 family rooms, and a game room in the house which will have TVs, so they don't have to watch what we watch when we're watching it, outside of family time when we insist we're all together to "hang out" (typically movie night or something), but their bedrooms will not have TVs. Most computers they have access to will also likely have TV features. We're not content nazis, but we will take care to ensure the younger kids are not improperly exposed to what is generally considered improper. R movies are generally fine for 13 year olds in most cases, but not 8 year olds without rare exception. I'd sooner keep them away from reality TV than a violent movie personally. The wife and I love horror and fantasy, so as soon as they're old enough to handle it, they'll have as much as they can stand. Nudity is not an issue either, so long as it's tasteful, and when they're mature.

e-readers: only if they only read books, and do not otherwise provide access to things/services/content we otherwise control, but i really see little need; we have half a library already in the house, well over 400 hardcovers, and I buy about 5-6 books a month. Reading material will never be in shortage for our children... Access to TV is more about TV being a privilege of use (are your chores done, etc) that something I care to monitor the content on. 10-15 years from now, this may be an unavoidable technology, and so long as we can keep them from playing games and watching TV in solitary confinement in their rooms, and stay social within the household, I'm not objectionable to PEDs.

Hand held "gadgets": like gaming systems, etc. We'll have them, but like their laptops,e-readers, and other devices, not in their rooms without permission, and they'll be shared between all the kids not owned by any one of them.

Music devices: pretty much open on this one. This is one of the few devices I don't mind if they have in their room. They'll certainly have their own music collections on a central home server. This is a device easily taken away however. Probably won't let them take them to school until late middle school, if not later, and only consistent with school policy, but we have no problem with iPods. Really the only reason we want to restrict TV in their rooms itself has more to do with ease of grounding them when necessary (computer, TV, phone, Pad, radio, game system, its a lot to unplug and take away, and its also EXPENSIVE to give each kid their own personal stuff like that...)

Game consoles: We have a room dedicated for that, with a TV hookup and couches. A room specifically for them to gather with their friends and play while hopefully leaving the wife and I in peace... What games they play should be easy enough to control on more modern systems, and time spent gaming will be monitored (not strictly, but we'll be aware of the time invested). This is something quickly taken away when grounded. They'll have no lack of access to play time, so long as their work is done and they've behaved (and keep the rougher games away from the little ones).

Cars: strictly and only for transportation to and from school functions, a job, and errands we send them on. At no point until they graduate school will they ever be transporting friends with them in a car, and they won't be in a car with anyone under 21 driving, unless its explicitly for a school/sport function, and there's no alternative available. Back and forth to friends houses when they have permission to do it, and on approved dates may be permitted, but not transporting their friends or hitching rides. Their cars WILL be tagged with GPS (as well as their phones). The kids will be firmly aware that they're being watched and being trusted to drive safely and go only where permitted. ANY violation of our trust by not going where they're supposed to be, transporting friends, using a device while driving, excessive/distractive use of a radio (they'll no have booming radio systems!) etc, and their driving privileges, including to/from school will be quickly revoked without mercy. While I'm paying for the insurance, this will not be negotiated. They will continually feel LUCKY to have a car at all, if they even get one of their own, and half their life's efforts will be building up to earning one. It will be a used car. It will not be flashy. It will be safe and reliable. They'll care for/clean it like it's made of solid gold. They'll might even take it with them when they go to college (if the school permits it/if it makes sense).

Bedrooms are for sleeping, and for quiet reading, and sometimes for studying though we have 2 desk areas in the house not including the kitchen and dining room for them to study at, so they should not need to do so in their room. We have a game room for entertainment for the kids, and 2 living rooms in addition to that. They'll have a wealth of gadgets to play with and entertain themselves. The idea here is to simply keep their play time monitored, limited, and to encourage in-person play and imaginative play more often than gaming on online socialization. The older they get, the more freedom they earn (unless they prove otherwise). We do NOT want to restrict their access to learning or imagination in any way. We're not strictly religious either and have no particular objections to content other then highly sexual or overly violent content (and diminishing appropriately with age).

We are not trying to stop them from having fun. We're not trying to stop them from having lives of their own. We're simply raising them with a strict sense of responsibility and control. They'll be borderline spoiled if they're well behaved, but everything they get will be earned or deserved on some level. Never will they get something simply because their friends all have one, and they'll never get something because they scream to have it. They'll always have everything they need however, so long as we're capable of providing it. they'll also have not only a comfortable allowance, but we're instilling savings and planning from day 1, so they'll not only have a small amount of impulse money, but they'll be saving for those big purchases too. As long as they can keep their grades up, they'll be allowed to have jobs as well (in fact, it will be expected at least during the summer, if not year round), though we'll try not to have them working through college if we can manage it.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I would say that you as a parent should be commended, however, that kind of control takes lots of effort and vigilance. Such is the life of a good parent. Best of luck.
I would only recommend that while you are directly monitoring them that you (and your wife) ease up on some restrictions, as to not have the kids overly sheltered. White lists are great for when you are not paying attention, but the internet is so vast, without some unrestricted access, it can become quite useless (and yes, I read the part about the unrestricted school access)...

RySean

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Banning TV, fine. Banning games, do whatever you like. Banning computers? You are hurting your childrens' opportunities for success in the future. We should stop creating computer illiteracy and get people educated. Too many already go around without the slightest idea of how a computer works, and some of them are proud of the fact, it would be like being proud of not being able to read. It's absolutely retarded, and it upsets me that these parents see cultivating computer illiteracy as a positive thing to do.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
yes, I would, but not outright BAN gadgets. Cable is a waste of time. I find that when I play games, I find phone calls irritating and I'm rude to people, so it's best I don't answer. Games do change behaviour while you're playing them, but when you're not, everything is relaxed. You might find yourself bored tho.

G

There are pros and cons to every parental decision. I bet these kids may not have the same keyboard speeds as everyone else at their schools but I am sure they know what a keyboard is and know how to use a computer. Also I bet that 18 year old son can write neater then 95% of the students at his school. Being different does not always mean being less. For all we know these kids will have the skills to be major leaders in politics, business, or even their communities in the future. I agree that we need to have good technological skills now but I feel it will not be as important in the future because the user interfaces and complexity of computers and technology is getting better, faster, and easier to use. Now if these kids are looking to be computer engineers and computer programmers then I think they have their work cut out for them.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I'm actually about halfway through a 2-week siesta from Facebook. It's actually been really nice, to be honest.

bamslang

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
[citation][nom]ominous prime[/nom]I disagree. And I'm that kid in the thumbnail. I think this is really bad, I mean, when these kids end up getting jobs they will be way behind in terms of their proficiency with a computer. Wouldn't a simpler solution be to just install a program on the computer that locks them out after x amount of hours?[/citation]

Spending time on a computer doesn't simply make you more proficient on it. Proficiency comes when someone cares enough to spend the time to learn something. If their child can get into Cambridge, I’m pretty sure he won’t have too tough a time navigating his way around Excel 2007. I’d be willing to bet a person who has a good grasp in logic and math could learn more about Excel in 2 weeks than a your average teenager who spends 3+ hours a day on their computer knows. A person who spends 3 hours a day studying material that is applicable to their desired profession will more than likely get much farther than a person who spends 3 hours a day playing games on their computer, given = IQ and motivation.

This is coming form a person who would easily put in 20-30 hours a week on the computer in high school.

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
The negative reactions are pretty unfounded. e.g. That lack of significant computer time prevents young adults from asimulating PC skills is founded by what? Anecdotally my wife was homeschooled and her parents didn't own a TV or computer. Yet she started a website in her early 20s in which she earns $500 a month for 10hrs a week writing about something she enjoys. And the reverse is all the new employees I get to train who know how to browse and post on Facebook but don't have the skills to learn and adapt to utilize business applications (... nor the attention spans...)

I am all for technology as a means to serve a purpose. I use a PC every day at work and at home. But if technology becomes the center of your life and diminishes real human interaction that is a bad thing. As for "depriving" the children because other children have this sort of access--that is lemming mentality. If Joe, Bob, and Jill jump off a bridge... Likewise, are we going to argue since Jack and Jill have cars and cellphones at age 16, provided by the parents, every parent is obligated to such?

Parent your own children how you like, but the school and the back seat parent commentators really should mind their own business. To each their own. The children are not harmed in any real sense, unless we wish to believe people before the 1990s were "harmed." Of course all those who wish to push on people like this, karma is a @#$@ as Congress will eventually link video game violence and, inturn, deprive children such activities regardless of parental guidance.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]zelannii[/nom]LONG RANT[/citation]

You don't think your kids will be able to afford cell phones by the time they are 16? You can try to raise your kids like that, but I can almost guarantee you that your kids will get jobs and buy their own cell phone, laptop, mp3 player, and maybe even car (though buying a car when you're young seems like a bad idea to me because, annually, insurance costs more than most vehicles that a teen can afford.)

PS: What's going to happen when your kids discover alcohol lol? Do you not think they will buy alcohol and tobacco from their friends?

bamslang

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Acert93[/nom]The negative reactions are pretty unfounded. e.g. That lack of significant computer time prevents young adults from asimulating PC skills is founded by what? Anecdotally my wife was homeschooled and her parents didn't own a TV or computer. Yet she started a website in her early 20s in which she earns $500 a month for 10hrs a week writing about something she enjoys. And the reverse is all the new employees I get to train who know how to browse and post on Facebook but don't have the skills to learn and adapt to utilize business applications (... nor the attention spans...)I am all for technology as a means to serve a purpose. I use a PC every day at work and at home. But if technology becomes the center of your life and diminishes real human interaction that is a bad thing. As for "depriving" the children because other children have this sort of access--that is lemming mentality. If Joe, Bob, and Jill jump off a bridge... Likewise, are we going to argue since Jack and Jill have cars and cellphones at age 16, provided by the parents, every parent is obligated to such?Parent your own children how you like, but the school and the back seat parent commentators really should mind their own business. To each their own. The children are not harmed in any real sense, unless we wish to believe people before the 1990s were "harmed." Of course all those who wish to push on people like this, karma is a @#$@ as Congress will eventually link video game violence and, inturn, deprive children such activities regardless of parental guidance.[/citation]

I wholeheartedly agree. I did find it amusing that someone would down vote you when your post reflects nothing but the truth.

Five or six years ago, I would probably think, “That’s crazy, not using a computer will put you at a disadvantage,” but now that I am in the business world and see how the average person is, this just isn’t so. I know people whom I work with that spend hours on a computer everyday who can’t even begin to grasp the simplest functions in Excel. I also work with others who don’t spend any time on a computer outside of doing business that can quickly grasp how to use nested IF statements and can combine them with other complex functions.

People here aren’t your average computer user either. You may spend a lot of time on a computer because you enjoy it and try and learn everything about it. Your average computer users, however, can’t even figure out why they keep getting viruses from pimpmymyspace.com.

jezzarisky

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
[citation][nom]dannyaa[/nom]If that's what it takes, yes. I think gadgets can be an amazing tool but for kids can also cause them to miss out on life. I would probably do something where I kept things very limited rather than an all out ban. IE, making video game/TV time a part of their allowance, where when they did their chores they could earn 3 hours of either television, video game, or internet time. I would keep one central family computer in the living room for internet/homework use. Cell phones, sure, but not smart phones - or smart phones with games/apps disabled except for a few necessities.Once I felt good habits had been established early on, maybe then I would get rid of restrictions at the age of 16 or so. Childhood habits carry over; I have a feeling they would be less inclined to become addicted to video games and internet, and better able to choose and enjoy them in moderation.[/citation]

In large part I do agree especially the childhood habits carrying over, but I would say only basic channels on tv (because everything important to learn can be learned on PBS)I would say keep a computer, but keep it in the parents bedroom with several passwords so the kids can't just jump on it, and only let the kids on for school assignments. and they have friends if they want to play video games. Maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling I would get far to lazy trying to monitor how much of what they're doing and it would fall into them spending most of their time doing one of these activities far too much. Where I do agree kids need to learn certain aspects of computers, one most schools have started moving everything onto computers, and two by the time they're 12-14 I would ease up and let the computer be a more common household item.

zaam

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
Hmmm... depends on the situation and the child I suppose. My very own cousin became one of those reclusive game playing addicts you read about in the paper. All he did was play WoW 24/7 never coming out of his room, not to even hangout or talk to us. He eventually became so antisocial and reclusive that he ended up taking his own life with my uncle's rifle.

Who knows, perhaps if he never had a computer and actually got out more, he might still be around. But that is a big IF. It's tough to say what was the real cause, probably multiple factors. But, just look at those Asian MMO players who actually die from their marathon gaming sessions. Truly, in those situations less gaming would be a good thing for them.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
but that also meant banning the consoles/PCs/TVs for themselves, so they must be able to live with it....
it will have future consequences tho

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
productivity shall go down tremendously in that home
when those kids gets a 15 page essay to write and it has to be 12 sized font Times New Roman, they are going to cry

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I am not one that would tell someone to raise their kids, but why not just limit everything? That is what My Mom did. I didn't get mad at her. Made me a better person. I can not live without my electronics. Most of my work is now done on a computer (Music Production, video, other work, research, etc). I would not have the opportunities and experience without technology. If I need some extra cash, I help out with someone studio, or build a computer. Especially in today's world. They're kids will also be around people with iPods etc, that will not be able to relate to them anymore, and it could come back to bite them if the kid gets mad at them when they get older. Opportunities will also get taken away from them if they can't use a certain application. I would just monitor my kids and adjust accordingly.

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
And as for games, we pass it along the whole family and play together. And not having a cell phone can be dangerous if there is a serious emergency.

dmuir

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
It's good to know it's still possible to pull this off. Our kids have very limited times with computers and TV, and we no longer use cell phones. It's not because I'm a Luddite (I'm a web programmer), but because of the negative effect it has on them (They get *really* grumpy!).

jhalf

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
This is just lazy parenting, and in my opinion,they're only hindering their children's ability to learn.

An obvious solution is instead teach them how to use these tools properly.

Ratiocinative

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I always find it hilarious when people try to blame their lack of self-control on inanimate objects. Sure, spending all your time on electronic devices is bad, but so is never coming in contact with them. Virtually all professions use computers or other electronic devices in at least some capacity, so it's a useful skill to have.

If your kids are spending all their time on electronic devices, then the problem is with your kids not the electronics. Teach them some self-control and you won't have that problem.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
i would prefer my kids to play outside over playing on some game console ...

if i give them a pc i would make sure it runs linux (since they would have to actually learn more to do some of the things their windows friends are doing) and other than that they would be free to do anything they like with it though not more then like an hour or maybe two a day. Also my kids wont have cell phones until they are old enough to pay for them them self and the same goes for consoles and computer games and since i dont have cable television they will have to miss out on that to.

When they become 16 and get a weekend job or whatever they are free to buy a tv game console gsm or a windows pc if they like and though i would try to encourage doing anything but wasting there time and money using them at that age there is really not much i can do so i can just hope they learned enough from the years before when they did not have such toys.

lehighace06

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
i agree that technology addiction is very real (myself included) and should be avoided. however, a complete ban will stunt the development of necessary skills. better to ban (even better: limit) video entertainment, and foster the use of technology for productive uses. there is nothing wrong with spending SOME time on electronic entertainment as long as it is not ALL time. get your kids outside in the fresh air, and also let them play video games, but make sure there's a balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.