Quad-core CPUs About to Surpass Dual-cores for Gamers

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelpojken

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
My good old C2D is doing its job all fine for me (well, except BF3) but come Ivybridge I'm finally upgrading. Waiting like a kid at xmas for the Kepler chart and comparative benchmarks so I can decide what GPU to marry my new CPU. My C2D will problably retire from gaming to a dedicated tv and movie comp.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I would've liked Intel if they added overclocking support to at least one of their dual core processors. I don't need a quad core when all of my favorite games can't use more than one core.[/citation]

Doesn't matter, having more than 2 cores makes Multi-tasking a breeze. Especially when you're playing games that take advantage of two cores. You have two extra cores for other things to run on. Versus if you're on a dual core and playing a game that uses two cores. Both cores focusing on the game, none on the other things.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Bentonsl_2010[/nom](Blow's a whistle and throws a yellow (BS) flag across the room at JOSHSKORN's head)Wasn't GTA:SA developed for the PlayStation2? I don't think that classifies as newer.... Just saying.[/citation]

Yup, my Sempron and 8800GT ran that game with no problems at all. Then I upgraded to an Athlon 64 X2 and ran the game even better. Then of course I upgraded to my quad core and a better graphics card. Anyways, my dual core could run that game fine, as does the dual core my little brother is using.

Gonemad

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Ever since I got a quad-core (i7 920) I refuse to look back. No more Antivirus-hogging-down-my-FPS-in-any-game woes. Those of you proud of one-cores, you are not running an AV any more, are you? Or you tell it to 'hold still' while you play?

N0Spin

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
I'm very glad I picked up my Q6600 all those years ago.

I am finally reaching the point where the 3 tiers higher rule (coupled with other architectural advantages) is starting to make upgrading look very compelling. I made the choice at that time (over 3 years ago now) to invest in extra cores specifically for future-proofing and because I wanted the greater flexibility and utility of having free cores to deal with an AV app starting up, or to free up the system enough that I could simultaneously run other apps and not have my game slow to a crawl.

I remember the single core days when even task switching out of a game would sometimes hang the game or even the PC, at least being a very likely cause for errant, erratic behavior.

Similar to the argument proposed in the recent TH article about the benefits of SSDs freeing up a system in games when AV starts up, or even more so when you run FRAPs or other apps to capture video while in game, the multi-core idea just makes sense following similar logic (more system resources / removing a choke-point in the system).

So, even though most games and apps can't fully utilize 4 cores at once, as long as the OS is smart enough to apply additional apps to 'free' or under utilized cores, having more cores (albeit to a point of diminishing returns) just make sense.

Now it's a very disappointing fact that the majority of game developers primarily base their applications around stunted consoles, but seeing companies like Bethesda release the graphics enhancements package for Skyrim's PC audience gives me at least a little hope that maybe more companies might consider making moves in those directions (albeit backward from a designed for the PC app).

Frankly I'm surprised that it took this long for developers to start taking advantage of the multi-core tech, but I suppose once again we can probably place a majority of that blame on the 'designed for consoles' thing (PCs are just an afterthought).

Hypertraxx

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]this is why intel is stopping at 4 cores at the moment and not going 6 or 8 in their mainstream,because the market as of now clearly shows that quad cores is where the main stream market is right now and even 4 cores is plenty of cores for most users at the moment.[/citation]

Intel has as far as i know two Hexa core's (6core 2threads) atm.
Intel Core i7 3930k s2011
Intel Core i7 3960x s2011

Seen as 12 by Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.