[SOLVED] Quadro 3000m For Gaming??

Jul 15, 2021
I have a Dell M6600, I have been using it for years. But I am wondering if I can improve the performance of the card for gaming, I tried installing older/newer drivers but at the site of my laptop oem it will give me a driver for windows 7. But I use windows 10, I went to the nvidia website and searched for drivers and I tried the newest driver for windows 10 (I think its for windows 10 not sure) But it didn't make a difference. I am trying to play Ark Survival Evolved. But even on the lowest settings it wont run more than 30 fps. I tried all sorts of things to make the game run smoother but nothing works. Can anyone help me?

Specs:
Dell Precision M6600
Quadro 3000M
i7 2960XM
12 GB Ram

Solution
M6600 is very nice laptop, even the gpu is fully upgradable. Ive done from Quadro 3000m to gtx 680M on this model, however that was looong ago and i dont remember if there was vbios flashing involved.

Also different graphics card can have fitting problems so you might to get your hands dirty. Performance wise here is a list for gaming:
AMD 8970m / R9 M290X > GTX 680M / Firepro 6100M / AMD 8950M > REST amd 5000 series or earlier QUADRO:s

Make sure to get DELL part, pulled from a dell laptop, otherwise you need to flash new vbios and that is NOT easy. With that sorted out you can still encounter operating system based problems which can take some time to solve.

If you find someone upgrading gtx 970M...
Jul 15, 2021
I have a Dell M6600, I have been using it for years. But I am wondering if I can improve the performance of the card for gaming, I tried installing older/newer drivers but at the site of my laptop oem it will give me a driver for windows 7. But I use windows 10, I went to the nvidia website and searched for drivers and I tried the newest driver for windows 10 (I think its for windows 10 not sure) But it didn't make a difference. I am trying to play Ark Survival Evolved. But even on the lowest settings it wont run more than 30 fps. I tried all sorts of things to make the game run smoother but nothing works. Can anyone help me?

Specs:
Dell Precision M6600
Quadro 3000M
i7 2960XM
12 GB Ram

The quadro 300m is a CAD card. While you can game on it, the drivers are not optimised for it and they dont make gamin drivers for it.

Quadro is for CAD.
Titan was middle point between CAD and Gaming
GTX/RTX is for gaming.

Yes you can game on a Quadro card and yes you can do CAD on a GTX/RTX card but it's not what they were designed for.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
I'm afraid that drivers won't make much difference in terms of performance.

Speaking as someone who spent much of their best gaming days at <20fps on a desktop with an ancient graphic card...if getting a new laptop is out of the question, the only options left would be to enjoy your games as they are, or to shift your focus to older titles.

The minimum requirements for Ark Survival Evolved call for a graphics card similar to a GTX670 which is approximately the same capability of your quadro 3000m.
Since laptop graphics and processors are not usually upgradeable, you are as good as you are going to get.

M6600 is very nice laptop, even the gpu is fully upgradable. Ive done from Quadro 3000m to gtx 680M on this model, however that was looong ago and i dont remember if there was vbios flashing involved.

Also different graphics card can have fitting problems so you might to get your hands dirty. Performance wise here is a list for gaming:
AMD 8970m / R9 M290X > GTX 680M / Firepro 6100M / AMD 8950M > REST amd 5000 series or earlier QUADRO:s

Make sure to get DELL part, pulled from a dell laptop, otherwise you need to flash new vbios and that is NOT easy. With that sorted out you can still encounter operating system based problems which can take some time to solve.

If you find someone upgrading gtx 970M to this laptop he had to add it to the whitelist manually. I would not suggest going this road.

Firepro 6100M was actually sold with this laptop and seems to be "plug and play" popular upgrade.

Remember this still old tech so dont use too much money on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWNoctis
Solution