Quadro vs GTX - Workstation 3ds Max (and other) Graphics Card Comparison Results: 980, 1080, Titan Z, K5000, M6000 etc.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SoNic67

Distinguished
You have limited experience with professional software (3dsmax), but you are making recommendations for ANY other professional software by generalizing you experience with basically DirectX based rendering software, where the gaming cards can yield good performance (because that's what they are supposed to do well).
OpenGL is different animal.

Like I said, the problem is not that black and white, and generalizing might be misleading for some folks. That's all.

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Hi all,

im a Maya and working on solidworks as well as cinema4d. I currently have two different AMD PC's at home. One with an AMD 8350 8 core and the other with an AMD 1090t 6 core. I know or as ive heard some intels are better in 3d but cant afford those and plus im tryign to retrain myself in maya since i got a degree in it years ago and just havent really touched it. Im looking at either doing one PC as a gamer with like a 980 ti strix or 980 ti hybrid etc and the other as a workstation with like a Quadro M4000 unless in a month or so i can get an M5000 for cheaper than it is now. The GTX cards im looking at is as follows. What do yall think? Im looking for something that will last a while and plus not overheat or anything. I know gaming cards after a while will get hot and potentially not last as long as normal. But i also want something that has enough ram for the textures etc to fit in since the M4000 has 8gb thats a pretty good amount since im starting back out.

980 ti Strix 6gb
980 ti hybrid 6gb
Titan x 12gb i think

vulcangrey

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
I haven't used Maya in years... But at the time the problem was that a game card like a GTX didn't have the features in the drivers that Maya needed. If you used the 3D brush with the Fur tool, or Artisan, or particle effects, then the brush would smear all over the screen and you couldn't see what you were doing, it was a total mess. At the time the game versions of the cards couldn't use overlay planes in Open GL, which Maya uses.

The Quadro cards could do all of this. I would definitely recommend you get a Quadro card for Maya. I use a K2000 now, which is a bout $400ish, but a K600 or K620 are really pretty cheap at about $150, and do pretty well!

It's not just about speed... but the Quadro cars kill the game versions in Maya..
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290x-hawaii-review,3650-33.html

I just looked up the current version of Maya, and they said this about using a DirectX11 card like a GTX with Maya. basically the GTX type card is very slow at OpenGL, and if you use their Viewport2.0 to render in DirectX 11, then you won't be able to use these features...

The following features are not supported in Viewport 2.0, and do not function with HLSL shaders when using the DirectX rendering engine.

Hair
Fur
Fluids
nMesh (cloth)
Particles
Paint effects
Hierarchical subdivision surfaces
Active stereoscopic cameras
Light linking