[SOLVED] Quake 3 arena runs poorly on low [settings] on my raspberry pi 4

Sep 10, 2020
My raspberry pi 4 is over clocked has a raised ram slpit and is the 4 gig model. Hello, my pi 4 runs quake 3 poorly at low [settings?] when I see pi 3s running it at 100 fps. Is this normal or is there something wrong I’m doing I have also reinstalled my os.

Solution
Sorry for the really late reply, but if the rpi 4 is overclocked to a high temp at 80+ degrees Celsius, then it might begin to throttle.
If you see a red thermometer on the top of the screen, then that might be a signal of it heating up.
Once I had a red thermometer in the corner of my screen, and I felt the heatsink with my finger, and it was hot.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
What fps do you get playing Quake?

Is this online?

Raspberry Pis are about as powerful as a phone. They are not designed for running games.

Are you running the same resolution monitor and game settings as the person with the Pi3?

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Raspberry Pis are about as powerful as a phone. They are not designed for running games.
Considering millions of people play games on their phones and a modern phone is more powerful than a PC of the time Quake 3 was released, I find your statement completely inaccurate.

To the OP, have you resolved the issue? You say your Pi4 was overclocked. While I only have the 3 myself, I've heard of the 4s overheating. I can only imagine what happens to an overclocked 4 with insufficient cooling. Also, what OS are you using?

Sep 10, 2020
Considering millions of people play games on their phones and a modern phone is more powerful than a PC of the time Quake 3 was released, I find your statement completely inaccurate.

To the OP, have you resolved the issue? You say your Pi4 was overclocked. While I only have the 3 myself, I've heard of the 4s overheating. I can only imagine what happens to an overclocked 4 with insufficient cooling. Also, what OS are you using?
No it wasn’t resolved I was using raspbian

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
Sorry for the really late reply, but if the rpi 4 is overclocked to a high temp at 80+ degrees Celsius, then it might begin to throttle.
If you see a red thermometer on the top of the screen, then that might be a signal of it heating up.
Once I had a red thermometer in the corner of my screen, and I felt the heatsink with my finger, and it was hot.

Solution