Quake II Gets Ported to Your HTML5 Web Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicagotechjunkie

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Between Google's push, and Apple's rejection of Flash on their mobile devices, it seems HTML 5 adoption will spread much more quickly than many (even on this site) have anticipated

rick2689

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
More sites need to push away crappy flash and adopt HTML 5. It's obviously more efficient and been around longer.

industrial_zman

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
wow and I thought QuakeLive was good as a plugin... now I don't need a plugin to frag my office pals.... hell, I could hide this on the intranet somewhere and noone would be the wiser; they would think we were working on spreadsheets. *note to self, write a boss button hack for Quake2*

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
This certainly looks very good. It looks like a good publicity for HTML5, but I'm not sure it's ultimately good for us, consumers.

Plainly put, Mozilla still hasn't clarified if they will incorporate HTML5 H.264 video now that the licensing fees have been postponed until, at least, 2015. It's a double-edged sword, because if the companies that have the patent decide otherwise when 2015 arrives, then Mozilla either finds a way to make it financially viable to buy the license, or they will effectively have to "downgrade" the browser in the next version.

It's a tough call, but what ultimately come out of this could also say a lot about the future of open-source software, especially because Firefox is the most recognized piece of open source software in the world.

And Opera still hasn't said a word either. And all other minor browsers will be left in the dark too. If this happens it will be a battle between IE, Safari and Chrome... not a good prospect...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video

thedreadfather

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]gorgerax[/nom]So...how do I get it? (nooBie)[/citation]
http://code.google.com/p/quake2-gwt-port/

Or you could go to the provided blog link in the story and get the link there. ;)

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Frankly I think the adoption of HTML 5 has very little to do with Apple's inability to get Flash running on the iPad. But this is journalism I guess so preach on.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I used to run that game on my second PC I've owned, a Pentium 166 MMX. No thanks, it was fun at the time but I don't want to go back to 1997 era graphics, I'll stick to modern age graphics for games.

Why can't we just browse the web in a browser? and play games on the PC or console?

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]rick2689[/nom]More sites need to push away crappy flash and adopt HTML 5. It's obviously more efficient and been around longer.[/citation]
I don't know how long HTML5 has been around but I agree that the resource hogging advertisement platform known as Flash sucks and needs to go. I love Firefox Flashblock.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
That is cool cause I can't run it anymore on my desktop with all the anti cheats and Open_GL crap you have to install to play it , well it's not worth it anymore. I use to really love this game. I've tried Quake live but it just isn't the same.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I know that this is all good news for the development of browsers and the future of the internet, but I can't help but feel let down by the general hype of 'WOW, I can play really old games on my new thingy' that seems to cover all forms of technology today. I want to see new things to get excited about, not a rehash of old stuff.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]SchizoFrog[/nom]I know that this is all good news for the development of browsers and the future of the internet, but I can't help but feel let down by the general hype of 'WOW, I can play really old games on my new thingy' that seems to cover all forms of technology today. I want to see new things to get excited about, not a rehash of old stuff.[/citation]

it's just a proof of concept with what html5/webgl can do, it was easier to do because some of the work was done for them already (from an existing port of the quake 2 engine to java) you can't expect a ton of work writing something from scratch to show off the in-working version of some standards, heck, this is more than what you typically see for a poof-of-concept, it's a full, working game (even if an old one)

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]tinmann[/nom]That is cool cause I can't run it anymore on my desktop with all the anti cheats and Open_GL crap you have to install to play it , well it's not worth it anymore. I use to really love this game. I've tried Quake live but it just isn't the same.[/citation]
Open GL was dropped by M$ on purpose to push their proprietary piece of crap, Direct X and to kill Linux gaming.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I'd love for there to be a wide variety of HTML5 games (on a quick search I only found blocks and a couple demos).
Though, how easy/difficult is it to use?
Sites such as Newgrounds have evolved around flash because of its relative ease of use to make games.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
The Firefox Minefield browser has built in OpenGL features so it should be possible run quake on it without any particular plugins.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]rick2689[/nom]More sites need to push away crappy flash and adopt HTML 5. It's obviously more efficient and been around longer.[/citation]
Erm... HTML 5 has been around longer than flash? lol.

Html 5 is a great idea, but flash isn't particularly evil either imo. Sucks to be an apple user.

Status
Not open for further replies.