Quakecon 2011 Keynote: RAGEing Over No Doom 4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Niva[/nom]Linux games are not good business right now for the big studios, but there are companies making it successful. I as a linux user feel a bit sad when I hear that id is not supporting whereas they have in the past, but oh well. Gaming is not why I use linux, actually I hardly play games these days, getting too old at 35 it seems.[/citation]
That's at least 20 years too soon to retire from PC gaming.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]On another note. I don't think it's PC gaming that's died, I think it's the PC developer that's sold out. The platform is fine, it's the dumb-shit developers that can't seem to detach from the console cash nipple long enough to make anything worthwhile for PC.We need a new PC development team that hasn't been bought by EA or the likes...[/citation]
Very well said. That statement hits at the very core of what's going on in (going wrong with?) the gaming industry.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]newsblogger[/nom]Here we go again, another console semi-port.no dedicated server,or linux?.....how sad,i mean it is ID we are talking about here.[/citation]
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]"Rage will not have dedicated servers"Wow, that's pretty idiotic. I love how console problems have fully infected PC users...[/citation]

Oookay, I'm rather confused about this. RAGE is completely a single-player game, no multiplayer. What in the world would dedicated servers possibly be for?

G

This game doesn't really need dedicated servers. As far as I can tell you can play a portion of the game coop, and the multiplayer is only "deathtrack" racing. Which would probably go down well at lans and between small groups of friends. But I doubt is really aimed at large amount of players. Therefore a single line from a decent player should be enough to host you and your friends game.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
The MP in Rage is all about racing cars and battling in cars, so dedicated servers aren't really a must. As for calling it a "console semi-port", what are you basing that on? The whole point of id Tech 5 is that it can be easily re-compiled for each of the major platforms. It's platform-agnostic, not a port (it looks, plays and controls VERY well on the PC, trust me).

-Devin Connors, Tom's Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.