Quakecon 2011 Keynote: RAGEing Over No Doom 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

No Doom 4??? PENIS!!!! PENIS TO THE CORE!!!!!!!!!!

o well at lest DEAD ISLAND is coming soon :D

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]No Linux strategy ? my wise and beautiful friend.[/citation]

If you're going to post here, at least be mature about it. Moving on..."no Linux strategy" makes a lot of sense because releasing games for Linux is not going to be a money maker. Game development is a business, and businesses follows the money (consoles, iOS).

-Devin Connors, Tom's Hardware

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Spoiler alert, Doom 4 WILL make a appearance Carmack will give a preview himself as he goes on stage and instructs everyone to close their eyes and vola Doom 4!

Ed. Note: For the lucky few attending Quakecon this weekend: If you see me - look for the Tom's Hardware press badge- don't be shy! Say hello! If you follow me on Twitter (@devinconnors) I'll try and keep my whereabouts updated. -Devin Connor

Creepy much?

[citation][nom]dconnors[/nom]If you're going to post here, at least be mature about it. Moving on..."no Linux strategy" makes a lot of sense because releasing games for Linux is not going to be a money maker. Game development is a business, and businesses follows the money (consoles, iOS).-Devin Connors, Tom's Hardware[/citation]

While you are 100% right, I think its clear his post is not meant to be taken seriously.

-NuclearShadow, future husband of Jane McEntegart.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Don't worry Linux fanboys. Just wait another six or seven years til the engine is open sourced, and then you can port the game yourself. Then with Doom 3 and Tux Cart, you'll have THREE games to play! Won't it be exciting?

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]Don't worry Linux fanboys. Just wait another six or seven years til the engine is open sourced, and then you can port the game yourself. Then with Doom 3 and Tux Cart, you'll have THREE games to play! Won't it be exciting?[/citation]

Don't forget Crayon physics deluxe! It's easy being the most stable OS when it has nothing to do. Linus Torvalds uses a Mac running Windows with boot-camp. (I just made a lot of fellow nerds angry)

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]AnusFister[/nom]"-Devin Connors, Tom's Hardware"my wise and beautiful friend![/citation]
Homophobia is soo last century!

idlerp

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]alexapi32[/nom]I don't understand, 30Hz SP and 60Hz MP? Are those monitor refresh rates?Didn't they mean fps?[/citation]

Hertz simply means cycles per second. Your monitors refresh rate simply happens to be measured in hertz as well, so is your processor speed. It actually makes more sense as far as the programming goes, because much more is going on behind the scenes than drawing the graphics, as the term "frames per second" would imply.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Still massively popular in the US military though, how's that dont ask dont tell policy working out?[/citation]

Not sure where you are from but Obama revoked the don't ask don't tell policy. Also its unfair to suggest that the military itself was homophobic politicians made the law not the military themselves. In-fact part of the repeal of don't ask don't tell which lets our brave men and women be open about who they are was decided on a poll within the military that showed the majority had no problem with accepting openly homosexual men and women from serving.

G

If you're going to post here, at least be mature about it. Moving on..."no Linux strategy" makes a lot of sense because releasing games for Linux is not going to be a money maker. Game development is a business, and businesses follows the money (consoles, iOS).

This makes no sense at all, ever looked at the humble indie bundles?, the amount of Linux players on Savage2 and Heroes of Newerth?
Those are all examples of Linux games earning a company a lot of money!
Linux is a rising gaming platform, not to ignore.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Spoiler alert, Doom 4 WILL make a appearance Carmack will give a preview himself as he goes on stage and instructs everyone to close their eyes and vola Doom 4! Creepy much? While you are 100% right, I think its clear his post is not meant to be taken seriously. -NuclearShadow, future husband of Jane McEntegart.[/citation]

rofl on that last bit....but you'll have to fight the rest of us first. :D

G

No dedicated servers? Can you say "CONSOOOOOLE POOOOORRTTT!!"

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Does anyone really care about Doom? The old one's where of course great but the new one really sucked. I was surprised to see people where disappointed about no talk of Doom 4.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]TheOnlyJoey[/nom]This makes no sense at all, ever looked at the humble indie bundles?, the amount of Linux players on Savage2 and Heroes of Newerth?Those are all examples of Linux games earning a company a lot of money!Linux is a rising gaming platform, not to ignore.[/citation]

Something about your post made me feel so lonely...

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]TheOnlyJoey[/nom]This makes no sense at all, ever looked at the humble indie bundles?, the amount of Linux players on Savage2 and Heroes of Newerth?Those are all examples of Linux games earning a company a lot of money!Linux is a rising gaming platform, not to ignore.[/citation]

Dude I totally hear you, but those games have a smaller dev team and a smaller budget, so going to Linux isn't as big of a risk for the aforementioned. Taking a AAA title like Rage and bringing it to the Linux masses would take a dedicated team of developers and a significant amount of money.

alexapi32

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Doom 3 was actually really good. The horror element were implemented really good, and the graphics for that time were the paramount of what a PC can achieve.
@idlerp Thanks the the explanation.

G

Here we go again, another console semi-port.
no dedicated server,or linux?.....how sad,i mean it is ID we are talking about here.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
On another note. I don't think it's PC gaming that's died, I think it's the PC developer that's sold out. The platform is fine, it's the dumb-shit developers that can't seem to detach from the console cash nipple long enough to make anything worthwhile for PC.

We need a new PC development team that hasn't been bought by EA or the likes...

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Linux games are not good business right now for the big studios, but there are companies making it successful. I as a linux user feel a bit sad when I hear that id is not supporting whereas they have in the past, but oh well. Gaming is not why I use linux, actually I hardly play games these days, getting too old at 35 it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.