Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 Performance Preview

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan

Only if phones and tablets were about 3D gaming and only if Nvidia sells chips for cheaper than Samsung, Broadcom, Qualcomm and others. There are tons of people who are not going to use their portable devices for gaming and for those, the power and cash cost of using a K1 is unnecessary overkill.

The market for lower-power, lower-performance, lower-cost SoCs is not going to spontaneously disappear just because K1 exists.

Why is everyone is keen on the K1? Its powerful but the power consumption from it is probably higher than any other ARM soc on the market. It won't go into phones but the 805 will.

The_Icon

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
They release too many small revisions too quickly, they should wait until the leap is a good enough to warrant a release.

InvalidError

Titan

The 805 is a fairly big step up from the 801 in terms of RAM bandwidth and IGP performance with close to double the scores in more bandwidth-intensive IGP benchmarks.

The CPU performance oddity might ruin the 805's party if they are not microcode/firmware-fixable though.

InvalidError

Titan

Enthusiasts want to see how each company's best compare against other performance-wise even if the products are intended for different market segments: the 805 is designed primarily for low power while the K1 is designed primarily for gaming.

Atom vs normal desktop CPUs is not exactly fair either since the desktops have 10-20X higher TDP but the comparison is still interesting just to see how wide the performance gap still is.

FloppyNacho

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Its important to note that mobile screens are approaching desktop resolutions to better their web experience. Media elements wont require special scripts to run correctly or presentably on the phone, which you can only assume will make performance a bit better in general.

Most assets are being rendered @720 and scaled for phone games anyway, so they really aren't killing themselves.

The battery however...

tslot05qsljgo9ed

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Worthless Promo piece for QualComm.

To purposely not include the existing, current and available Shield Tablet with the Tegra K1 is bordering on at best incompetence and at worst a pure propaganda piece for QualComm.

InvalidError

Titan

The K1 was not released yet when the article was written.

matt64

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
Worthless Promo piece for QualComm.

To purposely not include the existing, current and available Shield Tablet with the Tegra K1 is bordering on at best incompetence and at worst a pure propaganda piece for QualComm.

I've already explained the absense of the Tegra K1 in our benchmarks in a previous post. This article was written before the Shield Tablet was released and we still haven't received a K1 device to test ourselves (we'll have one soon :)

I'm not sure why you think this article is worthless. It provides a list of features, info about the SoC architecture and how it compares to its competitors, and benchmark results comparing the 805 to several competitors.

Before a product is released, the company holds all the cards. We can either report the information they provide, or we can extract from them, and call BS where appropriate, or we can all wait until the product is released to learn about it.

This article is pretty critical of the 805 overall: can't achieve max clock rates when all four CPU cores are in use, slower than the K1, and the design philosophy for Krait is a dead end if Qualcomm is going to remain competitive performance-wise with its competitors. That doesn't sound like a propaganda piece an OEM would pay for to me. I'm in no way being disingenuous.

- Matt H.

smoohta

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
I'm sorry... am I the only one who thinks that without actual power consumption comparisons this whole review is irrelevant?

InvalidError

Titan

Knowing where things stands in relative CPU/GPU performance terms is always nice to know even without performance-per-watt figures to assess efficiency: if performance falls too far short from what is expected, power becomes moot.

smoohta

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014

Knowing where things stands in relative CPU/GPU performance terms is always nice to know even without performance-per-watt figures to assess efficiency: if performance falls too far short from what is expected, power becomes moot.

I agree, but once you establish that for the most part performance is on par or better (as shown here) then performance per watt is an absolute must... especially on a platform that is targeted for mobile.

Fishwithadeagle

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Can someone please compare these results to the tegra k1 becuase I really want to buy the shield tablet, and according to the anandtech review, the tegra k1 kicks the c*** out of the 805.

tslot05qsljgo9ed

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Matt: I've already explained the absence of the Tegra K1 in our benchmarks in a previous post. This article was written before the Shield Tablet was released and we still haven't received a K1 device to test ourselves (we'll have one soon :)

I'm sorry but the excuses seem very lame and the underlying bias for QualComm seems more very real.

And I bet you will not REDO this article with the Tegra K1 results or change your conclusions which will really show that this article was a pure propaganda piece for QualComm to begin with.

If you really were going to have the Shield Tablet Soon as you state then why did you not delay this article a few days to include it.

InvalidError

Titan

And what would happen then? People would start bashing THG for delivering reviews weeks after everyone else has, which would be every bit as bad if not worse.

Not many enthusiasts are interested in reading re-heated news from over a week ago... they want to see everything available published on the day NDAs expire. One day later and half the readership has already moved on.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Last year and before it wasn't about gaming as much, more about a modem. Today, not so. NV won nexus this year due to the GPU not the price. NV doesn't have 65% discrete share due to price, but rather a BETTER product, support, and drivers. Intel doesn't have a monopoly due to cheap pricing, they have it because it is BETTER.

Cost of K1 is overkill? You do realize these socs are going for ~$25 right? Samsung and Apple aren't making wads of cash of $200 phones (which is why NV is not chasing them now, and only chasing high end phones/tablets). These two are making the bulk of their cash on the top of the line products, just like NV makes most from the same. We get cheap great stuff because a few people have tons to spend on the top stuff. Broadcom isn't in this race, and just gave up the modem race. Read more please. Price alone doesn't make all design wins happen.

I'd argue your tons of people not gaming comment too. With the majority of sales at any of the stores (google, amazon, apple) coming from games, and most of the time recorded on mobile going to gaming the facts just don't line up with your opinion.
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/applications/most-time-on-smartphones-spent-playing-games-1142615

Sure some people won't game, but NV isn't after those people right? They in fact said not after low-end phones now at all. They're only after high end phones, and tablet, and soon with denver and beyond/64bit/androidL etc your notebook and desktop at some point too. Gaming on PC's requires discrete for most. Gaming on mobile requires a great gpu for most and especially upcoming games this xmas/next as it really takes off, coming directly into NV's (or AMD) wheelhouse where everyone else has to catch up. This wasn't the case with the modem being king and not using things like watching movies before that hits your cap today in an hour (2GB isn't even a 1/2 of a 720p movie with decent bitrates and most of us have 2GB or less, only HK/Singapore have 10GB pretty normal and that's not going to watch many movies either). Without the need for ever faster modems (due to caps, killing the whole point of the speed), the gpu will become king if it isn't already happening now. IE ARM said sales of their socs were down because their gpu was behind, as Qcom/NV spanked them (with these two winning sales of devices hitting now or soon, chips were sold earlier since it takes 5-6 months to get it into a device from arrival at your door). Arms last quarter sucking due to the gpu is indicated by the devices those lost sales would be in over the next few months of releases (mali isn't winning devices, K1/S805 are and it had nothing to due to price). Qcom hasn't been giving discounts to win sales, they had a really great product until K1 caught them, which I predicted would happen in many posts here and elsewhere as desktop gpu hits socs and games take over.

More and more people will game as they find out they CAN now that gpu power is there to support it. PC gaming is growing because integrated stuff can actually play a few things now, where before you needed a discrete or that entire party was over. I didn't say the low-end would disappear. PC sales down but PC gaming revenue #1 (just past console total revenue at over $15.2B now) says more people can actually GAME now and don't require a console or discrete to do it as many have learned. Ten years ago many people didn't even know PC's could game (they kept buying integrated crap that really couldn't, so consoles ruled for most), however today apu's etc are allowing far more to realize pc gaming. This in turn eventually leads to "hey what are those discrete things for" once people get a taste, which sent NV revenues on records for gpus for many quarters even during pc's decline in this economy etc. PC sales were down ~12% last year and NV set records quarter after quarter. They get a taste on the low-end now, and say hey, for a few dollars more...on their next purchase. More get the importance of the gpu today right? Or how does NV set revenue records in a hugely down market?

You're also acting as though the gpu can't scale down when not needed. If that was the case, you'd get the same hours browsing the web as when gaming, and we know that isn't the case as you can power gate off much of it when not needed on cpu and gpu. K1 is in a $300 tablet not subsidized and making money also, thus proving it's not that costly right? It doesn't have to be a $600 device to be able to fit a K1 in it's budget. Yet you think price will hold this thing back? A $300 phone or tablet can sell well in many markets and we don't know if that's as low as they can go, or NV is just making a good mint on them due to the perf allowing it. We'll know in a few quarters if it's making more than T3/T4 did and we'll see how low they can go as more devices come with it. T4 has been in $200 devices for quite some time. The difference between crap and great in these things is like $10. IE previous mediatek chips sold for $10-15 vs. Tegra4 at $20-25. With Mediatek moving up I think they're getting a bit more now, but still overall these socs are all dirt cheap as a component in any of these devices. You also act as thought hey can't ship a lower clocked part if desired.

One more point, samsung is forced to source from qcom just to launch everywhere at once. Nothing is stopping Nv from winning some of that too, and it won't just be about price as I'm pretty sure samsung gets their own chips cheaper than qcom, but they still use them a lot. But if they don't have the capacity, they'll buy someone else to get there rather than NOT sell a device in massive quantity. Any lost sale is someone else getting it (probably apple or google) and they make too much on each sale to care about a few bucks on a soc to get that sale. They'll pay what they have to vs. coming up short on 5-10mil galaxy s4, s5 etc...They own 68% of the material in the phone or tablet so they can easily make up $5-10 extra they have to pay someone else to sell that 68% of their stuff. I'm not saying they don't want a good price (everyone does), just that they don't care if it's making a large profit vs. a extra few bucks on a soc or making NONE on a lost sale to apple etc.

InvalidError

Titan

Nvidia was originally asking $47 for the Tegra4. Can't find numbers for the K1 yet but I cannot imagine Nvidia completely giving up on their wider markups.

matt64

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
Here is the real deal comparing it to Tegra K1 and Exynos 5433:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/galaxy-note-4-benchmarks-show-exynos-5433-chip-is-faster-than-snapdragon-805

Note the linked article dates from 23 June. No excuse for Toms Hardware. This is BS pro-Qualcomn misinformation.

The Galaxy Note 4 has not been announced or released yet. Likewise, the Samsung Exynos 5433 has not been announced or released yet.

The article you refer to is for a single benchmark (AnTuTu) only. We don't even know what the device actually is. Is it a phone ready to release soon or an internal development model? While an interesting speculative story, our benchmark charts aren't a place for rumors.

The conclusion of this article only states that the 805 is generally faster than the 801 (primarily GPU) and alludes to the K1 being faster still.

Sorry, but your argument about this article being "misinformation" just doesn't hold water.

- Matt H.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Link to proof of T4 price please. I've never heard anything over $25.

http://techreport.com/news/25511/rumor-intel-to-match-arm-soc-pricing-with-low-end-bay-trail-t
Even Intel was only selling baytrail for $32 (and 10% off for bulk orders so $29) and they WERE NOT price competitive with Qcom, which tells you Qcom was well under $29. Considering Intel is losing 1.1B on 1.15B worth of baytrail chips we can be very sure Qcom is quite a bit under $29 and NV can't be more. I don't get where you're getting this price as it was widely known Google got tegras for $21-23 and MS got them for $23-25. The T4 sells in Tegra Note 7 for $200, you must not be aware of BOM listings which show it can't be what you're saying for any soc.

https://technology.ihs.com/408150/low-end-google-nexus-7-carries-152-bom-teardown-reveals
Nexus 7 with T3 cost. $21. See the point? Kindle fire soc $13.50...LOL.

http://www.tech-thoughts.net/2013/06/microsoft-surface-mini-bom-price-349.html
"The original Surface RT used an nVidia Tegra 3 processor that cost $21.50. I've assumed the same cost for the Tegra 4 processor. The actual cost may be a a little higher as the Tegra 4 has not been on the market as long as the Tegra 3 was during Surface RT launch."

T4 was basically the exact die size of T3 (80mm^2). So easy to sell for the same cost. I'll hazard a guess K1 will cost more but that is just a guess due to a guess that the gpu puts it over 100mm^2 (closer to apple than T4) but I'm throwing a dart at the board here, and they may have gotten the gpu seriously optimized for size. Maxwell makes huge improvements on the same 28nm process as kepler so who knows what they did here. There would be zero T4 design wins if they were asking $47 knowing Qcom/Intel are nowhere near that and having isupply breakdowns of so many devices and nothing over $30 for the soc without a modem.

Galaxy S5 has the S801 and it was estimated at $41, but that has a modem and was arguably better than T4.
http://press.ihs.com/press-release/design-supply-chain/samsung-galaxy-s5-carries-astronomical-bill-materials-ihs-teardown

"The MSM8974AC carries an estimated cost of $41.00. This may seem elevated but represents the combined functionality of two formerly separate chips, the core applications processor and the wireless semiconductor. In other designs, such as the Apple iPhones and other Samsung designs, these two roles may be filled by two separate chips."

But that was brand new, so pricing to lead with a brand new chip in your flagship obviously is higher than anything after it using the same thing. Samsung probably pays a premium to be FIRST (or near first, as anyone else does probably too when they buy a new design for flagship phones).

http://www.techinsights.com/uploadedFiles/Public_Website/Content_-_Primary/Teardowncom/Sales/Mobile_Devices_Deep_Dive_Sample_Report_Xiaomi_MI3.pdf
$27 T4 price here, but they are a LOT smaller so it figures they'd be higher than say samsung, google or microsoft would pay for them. Page 42. This phone launched in sept 2013 (but avail Oct in china), only a few months after the debut of T4 and it was pretty late in everything but their own device (shield). I don't see how anyone paid over $30 knowing what these guys paid when it was brand new and they aren't exactly big (growing, but still) and they sourced a model from qcom also, so you had to be competitive.

So again, link to this $47 price, as I've never heard anything like that.

Keermalec

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
@Doug Lord "Battery life and lack of GOD make it a tablet only chip though"
There is currently no information availlable that allows one to make such a statement. From the initial tests of a real-life product, the Shield Tablet, the battery life is perfectly normal. However, it is true that there are currently no planned K1 handhelds and no planned Snapdragon tablets to compare apples with apples (no pun intended).

""does it compete with Nvidia’s Kepler-powered Tegra K1?"No and you know it!!!!"

Of course it does. K1 trounces Snapdragon 805 in every benchmark.

And for the first time an nvidia soc is going head-to-head in design wins with Qualcomm:

K1 design wins:
Xiaomi Mipad
Google Nexus 8
Microsoft Surface 3
Acer CB5 Chromebook

Snapdragon design wins:
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G3

Keermalec

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
@Doug Lord "Battery life and lack of GOD make it a tablet only chip though"
There is currently no information availlable that allows one to make such a statement. From the initial tests of a real-life product, the Shield Tablet, the battery life is perfectly normal. However, it is true that there are currently no planned K1 handhelds and no planned Snapdragon tablets to compare apples with apples (no pun intended).

""does it compete with Nvidia’s Kepler-powered Tegra K1?"No and you know it!!!!"

And for the first time an nvidia soc is going head-to-head in design wins with Qualcomm:

K1 design wins:
Xiaomi Mipad
Google Nexus 8
Microsoft Surface 3
Acer CB5 Chromebook

Snapdragon design wins:
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G3

Keermalec

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014

K1 design wins:
Xiaomi Mipad
Google Nexus 8
Microsoft Surface 3
Acer CB5 Chromebook

Snapdragon design wins:
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G3

Keermalec

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
@Matt64, thank you for your reaction. It is not often that we do get feedback this way.

You are right in that I should not write offensive things like this article being BS misinformation. Sorry about those words which were absolutely not necessary.

However, most other review sites got their K1 end of July and by July 31st, date of your article, had posted reviews of K1 vs Snapdragon 805. I find it difficult to believe that toms hardware did not get its test k1. Did you even ask for one?

On a seond point, you say Antutu is a SINGLE benchmark. As you know, it is not. it is a suite of benchmarks that measusres the Soc's performance in several apps comparable to real-life usage. A better score on Antutu does signify a better-all-around performance.

You say you don't know what the k1 device actually is. Check out the Antutu site and and can see it is a Xiaomi Mipad, ie a perfectly real product.

http://www.antutu.com/en/Ranking.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS