News Qualcomm: Snapdragon coming to "all PC form factors," including desktops.

Jun 3, 2024
I really hate these supposed AI demos that are both fictional and also don't do anything new, but just strap a voice interface to existing things. It all looks very Star Trek, but it's not even slightly compelling. For example - We already have voice assistants, and most people don't actually use them.

A particular annoyance is seeing someone claim AI will magically be able to help you find the chords in a music track. That's already a core function of Melodyne, a professional music production utility. It's really good, has been developed for years specifically for this kind of work. A voice interface is not helpful, because it needs very precise, contextual inputs.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
The only reason to get an X Elite mini-PC is if the 80W variant offers a tangible benefit in performance compared to laptops.
Hopefully TH gets the Snapdragon dev kit to review.

Reactions: bit_user

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Till we see a proper review of the SnapDragon Elite chip performance, I feel its premature to say that it will be a great chip. Great battery life, I am pretty sure. But will the same chip scale on the desktop with lesser consideration for low power, its questionable. The performance is also very dependent on MS to make sure Windows run nicely with ARM based SOC, and I feel the first gen chips are going to be more like an experiment, i.e. I am not expecting a smooth experience.

May 26, 2024
In a slide, Amon claims that the Snapdragon X Elite has 2.6 times performance per Watt versus Apple's M3 and 5.4 times versus Intel's Core Ultra 7.
Unless I'm missing something, the accompanying image indicates 2.6× perf/watt for AI tasks, not for general compute.

Diogene7

Prominent
Jan 7, 2023
Till we see a proper review of the SnapDragon Elite chip performance, I feel its premature to say that it will be a great chip. Great battery life, I am pretty sure. But will the same chip scale on the desktop with lesser consideration for low power, its questionable. The performance is also very dependent on MS to make sure Windows run nicely with ARM based SOC, and I feel the first gen chips are going to be more like an experiment, i.e. I am not expecting a smooth experience.

I am not confident in great battery life, because of the missing information in the statements…

Cristiano Amon claims great energy efficiency (battery life) in video playback or AI tasks, but not in other use cases (web browsing, word/excel usages,…).

Therefore, it is likely that for all other use cases than video/AI, battery life won’t be better, and maybe even worse as otherwise that is something they would have been proud to speak about…

Also, by now, less than 15 days from PC hardware availability, it is a red flag to me that independant Youtube reviewers didn’t yet get their hands on Snapdragon X Elite PCs and/or not yet allowed to publish independant reviews : if the independent tests were extremely good, you would want potential buyers to be aware of that long in advance (by making sure that well respected Youtubers publicy confirm it), to increase the probability that the potential buyers postpone the purchase of an Intel/AMD computer and instead that they save their money to buy a Snapdragon X Elite PC…

The fact that there isn’t such review recall previous Snapdragon 8cx launches, and before that, previous Snapdragon 835,… which unfortunately is not a good sign…

Reactions: bit_user