Qualcomm Unveils Quad-core 2.5GHz Snapdragon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
How does this compare to a desktop CPU. I mean Mobile computing is nice and like where this is heading. Does this means no more laptops or desktops? After all there is the "need" market and the "want" market. Anyone know what the future holds for laptops and desktop especially in the high end segment?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]Does the Snapdragon compare to AMD/Intel clock for clock? To my knowledge it doesn't, which makes all this hype irrelevant[/citation]

The answer is not as simple as some believe, the snapdragon is a risc processor while the x86 isn't. RISC stands for "reduced instruction set computing" which means its just what it implies - A CPU with a hugely reduced numbers of instructions it can handle. On simpler instructions i bet it can go toe to toe instruction wise with say x86 but as soon as the software do _ANYTHING_ other than the total basics it will take several cycles for the risc to complete what the x86 did in just one cycle.

An example could be say two loaders in a dock, both have same speed but one can lift a small package and the other a container. As long as the packages are small (simple) they equal each other but as soon as the packages grow in size (complexity) the big one can still do one lift per cycle while the smaller have to divide it and then lift the smaller packages each time that result in significant loss in performance.

For the phoonies world i bet this is quite an upgrade but compare it to any real computer is laughable. I rather have a V12 engine running at 2500rpm than a ford pint "engine" at the same rpm, thats the difference in reality as soon as there are any real computing involved!

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]The answer is not as simple as some believe, the snapdragon is a risc processor while the x86 isn't. RISC stands for "reduced instruction set computing" which means its just what it implies - A CPU with a hugely reduced numbers of instructions it can handle. On simpler instructions i bet it can go toe to toe instruction wise with say x86 but as soon as the software do _ANYTHING_ other than the total basics it will take several cycles for the risc to complete what the x86 did in just one cycle. An example could be say two loaders in a dock, both have same speed but one can lift a small package and the other a container. As long as the packages are small (simple) they equal each other but as soon as the packages grow in size (complexity) the big one can still do one lift per cycle while the smaller have to divide it and then lift the smaller packages each time that result in significant loss in performance.For the phoonies world i bet this is quite an upgrade but compare it to any real computer is laughable. I rather have a V12 engine running at 2500rpm than a ford pint "engine" at the same rpm, thats the difference in reality as soon as there are any real computing involved![/citation]

Thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense :)

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Von Death[/nom]oldschool? I'm still beta-testing the abacus.[/citation]

Shit son... I'm so old school I can only count to ten. Well, 21 with my shoes and pants off.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
From single core to dual core and now quickly the approach of quad core in the span of less then two years.

This folks is what happens when the market is competitive with multiple manufacturers and not pigeonholed into two overpriced niche's like Intel and AMD.

If this keeps up like some folks say, your smart phone will become your PC and the Intel and AMD won't even see it coming. You GO GUYS! I want one.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]killbits[/nom]yeah umm, it's not Krait, it's Krayt. You effing spelled it wrong, Qualcomm. Trying to be all fancy with the Star Wars reference? Krayt Dragon? Snapdragon? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Krayt_dragonOk, so, more likely they were naming their processor after a type of venemous snake:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BungarusI'm not an ophiologist!Krayt would have been a cooler name though, seeing as it's actually a dragon. Sort of a pseudo-insidery geek call-out to make them appeal more to nerds or something? I mean that thing effing eats banthas for breakfast!I just realized how very little I care about the actual processor, compared to their dumb name for it.[/citation]
Maybe they don't wanna get sued by the great Lucas dragon :p

mustbhacks

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]can you read?"Krait will offer speeds of up to 2.5GHz per core and deliver 150 percent higher overall performance, as well as 65 percent lower power consumption than currently available ARM-based CPU cores."[/citation]

Idk can YOU read? 65% less per core, still means a quad-core is eating more power than whats out now. Key words: PER CORE.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]mustbhacks[/nom]Idk can YOU read? 65% less per core, still means a quad-core is eating more power than whats out now. Key words: PER CORE.[/citation]

Notice that the Krait will be available in single, dual and quad core versions. So the comparison is still completely valid. Then there is the perpetual confusion about what 65% less means but it probably means it will cut power consumption by 40%.

If we then give "old cores" an index of 100 then the comparison looks like this in order of least power consumption:

single new core = 60
single old core = 100
dual new core = 120
dual old core = 200
quad new core = 240

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]This folks is what happens when the market is competitive with multiple manufacturers and not pigeonholed into two overpriced niche's like Intel and AMD.[/citation]

So you compare a price of a low performing risc processor the size of a fingernail vs a fully fledged x86, its like comparing a ford pinto vs a dodge viper. The later runs circles around _anything_ the pinto has to offer. ONLY advantage the pinto has is that it uses less fuel/mile and is cheaper that's it! So please... take your glorified calculator elsewhere before speaking about real computing components!

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]melvis72[/nom]That's nice and all but how about somebody work on making the batteries last long on the phones....[/citation]
It's fine, we'll just run the phones off of a car 12V battery. *haha*

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]...If this keeps up like some folks say, your smart phone will become your PC and the Intel and AMD won't even see it coming.[/citation]
They see it coming. They're waiting to see who's coming out at the top, and then will buy them out.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]pythy[/nom]I am still using my Pentium M laptop.....[/citation]
Most laptops you buy today ARE dual core.... i haven't seen too many Quad core lappies out there to begin with...even for 2011

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Most laptops you buy today ARE dual core.... i haven't seen too many Quad core lappies out there to begin with...even for 2011[/citation]

anyone can license ARM tech, intel could start using it whenever they want without buying anyone out.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]2.5 GHZ i wonder what the battery life is.probably less than 20 minutes.[/citation]
Lolz... yeah.

I think you and I are probably the only ones who are concerned about battery life anymore..

Status
Not open for further replies.