Qubes OS: An Operating System Designed For Security

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not be sacrificing the sexiness of Apple hardware and software ;) Yup, you heard me right; I admit I'm an Apple fangirl.

This more or less destroyed credibility. I find it very difficult to take seriously someone calling themselves a security expert who use's(ed) a Mac. Mac's are horribly insecure, Apple broke much of the BSD code to get the "it just works" feel.

Everything she described has already been done by Sun with the source code released to the world as OpenSolaris (prior to the Oracle purchase). You run a single global zone that manages hardware and user sparse root child zones to run your applications and servers. My job is basically to work with and design these Sun systems 40~60 hours a week and know how they work in and out. And they will accomplish everything she described. Have your internet applications inside one zone, and any other software inside another zone, you can even run Virtual Box and run Windows 7 inside it's own zone. All hardware is controlled by the Global zone with child zones only getting small bubbles to play in and a read only kernel file system (/usr, /lib, /platform, ect..) to use.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I couldn't finish the article, lol.. Aww man, hilarious...
An i.t. needs to configure the desktop, really?!?! LOL, thats there O.S??
Something so complicated you have to call in a professional? Nice thinking..
I bet it's hacked in a week.
dalethepcman, +thumbs up on the origin joke.. :) "I" thought it was funny.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
She's hot. What was this article about? :D

Oh wait, I just Googled her name and Google tried to fill my search with "is a man". Wow...I'm speechless. If that's true, his/her surgeon did some excellent work.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]I couldn't finish the article, lol.. Aww man, hilarious... An i.t. needs to configure the desktop, really?!?! LOL, thats there O.S?? Something so complicated you have to call in a professional? Nice thinking..I bet it's hacked in a week...[/citation]
Did I read somewhere that they are trying to market this to everyone? that it is extremely user friendly?...I don't think I read that anywhere. If you need extremely user friendly stick with your Mac and Windoze. Simply reminds me of how quick people are willing to give up on something if it requires a little bit of work to figure out; SELinux anybody? It is kind of scary really...

valuial

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Mac user talking about security haha... common stfu...

Ready to bite the dust one more time? how did you say this in english ... hum "From humble beginnings come great things"

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
WARNING:

This article is part of the Apple Distortion Field.

This supossed "security expert" is the one who said back in 2009 that MacBook Pro is more secure than Windows, and included this declaration on that article supposed to speak about security:

Joanna: My primary desktop machine is an eight-core Mac Pro (2 x 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon) with 16 GB of DRAM and with a gorgeous 30" Apple monitor. It's the most beautiful desktop machine I've ever had--both when it comes to its aesthetics as well as GUI experience.

I also use a rather old black MacBook (Santa Rosa, Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz, 4 GB of DRAM) as my general-purpose laptop. I've been postponing buying a new unibody sexy MacBook Pro because up until recently they have not supported more than 4 GB of DRAM (at least the 15" versions, which I prefer) which I've found discouraging.

It is supposed to speak about security, but I only can see how cool she is:

Joanna-Rutkowska,M-Z-215963-13.jpg

We all know how important is to have a "beautiful desktop machine" and a "new unibody sexy MacBook Pro" when we speak about security.

If you are watching this on a "gorgeous monitor", you will instantly be converted onto an iZombie.

Sources:

Apple Distortion Field:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_distortion_field

Former article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/joanna-rutkowska-rootkit,2356.html

Futurama:
[flash=320,240]http://www.youtube.com/v/ZSJSWGpXbMg[/flash]

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007

Is this the same Joanna Rutkowska that was promoted from receptionist on "Baltic Accountants and Consultants Kurt Iversen" to Apple's office manager?

http://www.goldenline.pl/joanna-rutkowska10

TomsHardware, how many other lies you have told me?

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]This more or less destroyed credibility. I find it very difficult to take seriously someone calling themselves a security expert who use's(ed) a Mac. Mac's are horribly insecure, Apple broke much of the BSD code to get the "it just works" feel.Everything she described has already been done by Sun with the source code released to the world as OpenSolaris (prior to the Oracle purchase). You run a single global zone that manages hardware and user sparse root child zones to run your applications and servers. My job is basically to work with and design these Sun systems 40~60 hours a week and know how they work in and out. And they will accomplish everything she described. Have your internet applications inside one zone, and any other software inside another zone, you can even run Virtual Box and run Windows 7 inside it's own zone. All hardware is controlled by the Global zone with child zones only getting small bubbles to play in and a read only kernel file system (/usr, /lib, /platform, ect..) to use.[/citation]

You didn't go back and read the first article referred to, did you? She specifically said Apple computers were less secure than PCs in that article, but prefers the aesthetics of Macs.

But you are a typical IT know-it-all, you don't pay attention to the details anyone else says, because you already know. it. all, which is why you say those Sun systems do the same thing when you really have no idea whether they do or not.

No offense to the real and good IT professionals out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.