QUERY

I have a Compaq Presario preloaded with Windows 95 4.00.950.b with IE & OE
5.5 and 64 MB RAM.
I was trying to check if BIOS could be upgraded and went into the set up!
Inadvertantly, I seem to have changed some default settings and NOW I find
the following msg on screen when I start the computer.

While initializing device IOS:
ERROR: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load.
Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt , or the system is
low on memory.

And when I press ENTER key, I get the following msg:

An internal stack overflow has caused this session to be halted.Change the
STACKS setting in your config.sys file and then try again.

I NEED help!
Thanking
Capt K Ripendran

If the system isn't low on memory, then a file could be corrupt. This could
happen if you changed some disk drive setting, such as changing the mode
from LBA to LARGE. It would work well enough to get some of Windows loaded,
but would fail.

You could also try the option to reset BIOS to default settings as this
creates the highest level of compatibility. However the problem with this
is that you won't know what gets changed. By selecting likely options,
noting what they are, and setting them back if the change doesn't work you
are at least assured that you aren't making things worse.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
>I have a Compaq Presario preloaded with Windows 95 4.00.950.b with IE & OE
>5.5 and 64 MB RAM.
> I was trying to check if BIOS could be upgraded and went into the set up!
> Inadvertantly, I seem to have changed some default settings and NOW I find
> the following msg on screen when I start the computer.
>
> While initializing device IOS:
> ERROR: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load.
> Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt , or the system is
> low on memory.
>
> And when I press ENTER key, I get the following msg:
>
> An internal stack overflow has caused this session to be halted.Change the
> STACKS setting in your config.sys file and then try again.
>
> I NEED help!
> Thanking
> Capt K Ripendran

Jeff,
Thank you for your prompt response. The system is NOT low on memory
as it has been working very well! As to the second part of the ERROR msg,
how do I change the STACK setting in CONFIG.SYS file ? Perhaps I had changed
the sequence of the BOOT? What is the sequence - is it CDRom drive, FD
drive and then the HARD disk?
Thanking you once again
Capt K Ripendran

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> If the system isn't low on memory, then a file could be corrupt. This
> could happen if you changed some disk drive setting, such as changing the
> mode from LBA to LARGE. It would work well enough to get some of Windows
> loaded, but would fail.
>
> You could also try the option to reset BIOS to default settings as this
> creates the highest level of compatibility. However the problem with this
> is that you won't know what gets changed. By selecting likely options,
> noting what they are, and setting them back if the change doesn't work you
> are at least assured that you aren't making things worse.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
>>I have a Compaq Presario preloaded with Windows 95 4.00.950.b with IE & OE
>>5.5 and 64 MB RAM.
>> I was trying to check if BIOS could be upgraded and went into the set up!
>> Inadvertantly, I seem to have changed some default settings and NOW I
>> find the following msg on screen when I start the computer.
>>
>> While initializing device IOS:
>> ERROR: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load.
>> Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt , or the system
>> is low on memory.
>>
>> And when I press ENTER key, I get the following msg:
>>
>> An internal stack overflow has caused this session to be halted.Change
>> the STACKS setting in your config.sys file and then try again.
>>
>> I NEED help!
>> Thanking
>> Capt K Ripendran

The stack message is caused by a delay in initializing a device, which
causes the Windows startup procedure to use up the available stack space
before it decides the device isn't going to respond. I am confident that if
you get rid of the first message the second will disappear. Do not make
modifications to Windows startup files while the machine is not working
properly, as any such changes will almost certainly be wrong.

The boot order will make no difference if there is no other boot media
installed, other than perhaps a delay before loading starts. If you have
got as far as messages from DOS or Windows then the system is finding a boot
device with boot media. The actual sequence is your own choice. Put the
Hard Disk Drive first if you need to be quite sure that the operating system
is booting from the disk. Otherwise, simply check that you have removed any
other bootable media (including CDs and floppies).

In problems of this type it can be useful to disable any unneeded hardware
in BIOS setup, so that the Windows start procedure is as simple as possible.
--
> Jeff,
> Thank you for your prompt response. The system is NOT low on memory
> as it has been working very well! As to the second part of the ERROR msg,
> how do I change the STACK setting in CONFIG.SYS file ? Perhaps I had
> changed
> the sequence of the BOOT? What is the sequence - is it CDRom drive, FD
> drive and then the HARD disk?
> Thanking you once again
> Capt K Ripendran

Jeff,
Thanks again. Well, Windows starts but then the Start Up Menu pops
and shows SAFE MODE!
I am NOT able to get out of this at all.
As to BOOTING, I set the sequence as HDD, CDROM and then FDD in SETUP!
ALL this don't seem to help.
What else can be done to a machine that was working very well until last
night when I tried to see the BIOS!
Thanking you

> The stack message is caused by a delay in initializing a device, which
> causes the Windows startup procedure to use up the available stack space
> before it decides the device isn't going to respond. I am confident that
> if you get rid of the first message the second will disappear. Do not
> make modifications to Windows startup files while the machine is not
> working properly, as any such changes will almost certainly be wrong.
>
> The boot order will make no difference if there is no other boot media
> installed, other than perhaps a delay before loading starts. If you have
> got as far as messages from DOS or Windows then the system is finding a
> boot device with boot media. The actual sequence is your own choice. Put
> the Hard Disk Drive first if you need to be quite sure that the operating
> system is booting from the disk. Otherwise, simply check that you have
> removed any other bootable media (including CDs and floppies).
>
> In problems of this type it can be useful to disable any unneeded hardware
> in BIOS setup, so that the Windows start procedure is as simple as
> possible.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
>> Jeff,
>> Thank you for your prompt response. The system is NOT low on memory
>> as it has been working very well! As to the second part of the ERROR msg,
>> how do I change the STACK setting in CONFIG.SYS file ? Perhaps I had
>> changed
>> the sequence of the BOOT? What is the sequence - is it CDRom drive, FD
>> drive and then the HARD disk?
>> Thanking you once again
>> Capt K Ripendran

Jeff,
Further my Email of 13th Aug, I would like to inform you that I did a
SETUP of Windows 95 by going into Command Prompt. Windows NOW opens but the
following dialog boxes appear with msgs as under:
ERROR STARTING PROGRAM
1. The LOADWC.EXE is linked to missing export SHLWAPI.DLL.WrsprintfA
2. The MFC71.DLL is linked to missing SHLWAPI.DLL.urlunescapeA

3. RUNDLL
ERROR loading EGCOMSERVICE_1050.DLL
A device attached to the system is not working.

Inadvertantly, it has also installed IE & OE 3.1 which came with Windows 95!
I would like to know as to how to restore IE & OE 5.5 again?!

I will be thankful if you could kindly assist me.
Capt K Ripendran

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> The stack message is caused by a delay in initializing a device, which
> causes the Windows startup procedure to use up the available stack space
> before it decides the device isn't going to respond. I am confident that
> if you get rid of the first message the second will disappear. Do not
> make modifications to Windows startup files while the machine is not
> working properly, as any such changes will almost certainly be wrong.
>
> The boot order will make no difference if there is no other boot media
> installed, other than perhaps a delay before loading starts. If you have
> got as far as messages from DOS or Windows then the system is finding a
> boot device with boot media. The actual sequence is your own choice. Put
> the Hard Disk Drive first if you need to be quite sure that the operating
> system is booting from the disk. Otherwise, simply check that you have
> removed any other bootable media (including CDs and floppies).
>
> In problems of this type it can be useful to disable any unneeded hardware
> in BIOS setup, so that the Windows start procedure is as simple as
> possible.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
>> Jeff,
>> Thank you for your prompt response. The system is NOT low on memory
>> as it has been working very well! As to the second part of the ERROR msg,
>> how do I change the STACK setting in CONFIG.SYS file ? Perhaps I had
>> changed
>> the sequence of the BOOT? What is the sequence - is it CDRom drive, FD
>> drive and then the HARD disk?
>> Thanking you once again
>> Capt K Ripendran

You first error is caused by the last. Upgrade IE and it will disappear.

A better version of IE will be included in many of your software or
demonstration CDs, or you could download it from the www. See, for
instance,
http://www.cintek.com/download/ie5.htm
http://ie5.paradise.net.nz/
http://www.corrigo.com/corrigoconnect/InstallationInstructions.htm

Please note that I have not tested any of these sites.

I would guess that upgrading IE will also fix the error with MFC71.

The other message is related to a virus infection. See, for instance:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/dialer.inproc.b.html

Following the removal instructions might get rid of the message.
--
> Jeff,
> Further my Email of 13th Aug, I would like to inform you that I did
> a SETUP of Windows 95 by going into Command Prompt. Windows NOW opens but
> the following dialog boxes appear with msgs as under:
> ERROR STARTING PROGRAM
> 1. The LOADWC.EXE is linked to missing export SHLWAPI.DLL.WrsprintfA
> 2. The MFC71.DLL is linked to missing SHLWAPI.DLL.urlunescapeA
>
> 3. RUNDLL
> ERROR loading EGCOMSERVICE_1050.DLL
> A device attached to the system is not working.
>
> Inadvertantly, it has also installed IE & OE 3.1 which came with Windows
> 95! I would like to know as to how to restore IE & OE 5.5 again?!
>
> I will be thankful if you could kindly assist me.
> Capt K Ripendran
>

> "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
>> The stack message is caused by a delay in initializing a device, which
>> causes the Windows startup procedure to use up the available stack space
>> before it decides the device isn't going to respond. I am confident that
>> if you get rid of the first message the second will disappear. Do not
>> make modifications to Windows startup files while the machine is not
>> working properly, as any such changes will almost certainly be wrong.
>>
>> The boot order will make no difference if there is no other boot media
>> installed, other than perhaps a delay before loading starts. If you have
>> got as far as messages from DOS or Windows then the system is finding a
>> boot device with boot media. The actual sequence is your own choice.
>> Put the Hard Disk Drive first if you need to be quite sure that the
>> operating system is booting from the disk. Otherwise, simply check that
>> you have removed any other bootable media (including CDs and floppies).
>>
>> In problems of this type it can be useful to disable any unneeded
>> hardware in BIOS setup, so that the Windows start procedure is as simple
>> as possible.
>> --
>> Jeff Richards
>> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
>> "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
>>> Jeff,
>>> Thank you for your prompt response. The system is NOT low on
>>> memory
>>> as it has been working very well! As to the second part of the ERROR
>>> msg,
>>> how do I change the STACK setting in CONFIG.SYS file ? Perhaps I had
>>> changed
>>> the sequence of the BOOT? What is the sequence - is it CDRom drive, FD
>>> drive and then the HARD disk?
>>> Thanking you once again
>>> Capt K Ripendran

I forgot to ADD. I am also NOT able to connect to INTERNET - both a dial-up
service OR the Broadband!
Thanks in advance

> [...]
>>> that if you get rid of the first message the second will disappear. Do
>>> not make modifications to Windows startup files while the machine is not
>>> working properly, as any such changes will almost certainly be wrong.
>>>
>>> The boot order will make no difference if there is no other boot media
>>> installed, other than perhaps a delay before loading starts. If you
>>> have got as far as messages from DOS or Windows then the system is
>>> finding a boot device with boot media. The actual sequence is your own
>>> choice. Put the Hard Disk Drive first if you need to be quite sure that
>>> the operating system is booting from the disk. Otherwise, simply check
>>> that you have removed any other bootable media (including CDs and
>>> floppies).
>>>
>>> In problems of this type it can be useful to disable any unneeded
>>> hardware in BIOS setup, so that the Windows start procedure is as simple

Thank you for your prompt response. I have IE &OE 5.5 from On-Disk.com but,
I am NOT able to install it. It says the SETUP failed!
What should I do?!

> I forgot to ADD. I am also NOT able to connect to INTERNET - both a
dial-up
> service OR the Broadband!
By default, Windows 95 does _not_ install tcp/ip. Look at Network in the
Control Panel and make sure tcp/ip is installed.

Kay,
Thank you for the Email. Yes, I managed to get TCP/IP installed and
NOW I am able to go into IE 5.5! However, I also have a broadband
connection and have been establishing this connection thru a USB Ethernet
Adapter as this Presario machine didn't come with a vacant PCI slot to put
in an Ethernet Card - though it came with two USB ports. I use a Black Box
Adapter. What has happened NOW is that (after the system had multiple ERRORS
and one Malware)
the Device Manager shows the

Intel 82371SB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller with an exclamation
mark! And the Resources shows it as conflicting with that of the Modem and
Direct Memory Access Controller.

I am just NOT able to change and if try to REMOVE it (UHC) then the machine
simply HANGS! What could be the problem and what should I do - as I can get
to NETWORK, configure Adapter and Protocol ONLY after I set this right! I
keep the dial-up connection only for emergencies and I normally use the
broadband.
If I have to refer to another Newsgroup, pls advise me.
Thanking you.
Capt K Ripendran
p.s. I am able to send ALL this from my XP machine!

"Kay Archer" <kayhyphenarcher@mail.com> wrote in message

> "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
>> I forgot to ADD. I am also NOT able to connect to INTERNET - both a
> dial-up
>> service OR the Broadband!
> By default, Windows 95 does _not_ install tcp/ip. Look at Network in the
> Control Panel and make sure tcp/ip is installed.

Are you quite sure that is the exact message? Where in the installation
procedure does it occur? Is there any additional information available?

Please see:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=218634
Description of the "IE Setup Log.txt" File

for information on how to find out more about what is causing the problem.
--
> Thank you for your prompt response. I have IE &OE 5.5 from On-Disk.com
> but, I am NOT able to install it. It says the SETUP failed!
> What should I do?!

I managed to get rid of the ERROR msgs after I ran Spybot and AVG
Anti-virus. I also got the TCP/IP configured. I was then able to go into IE
& OE. The sad thing is that whilst IE 5.5 opens, when I click on the mail
tab, the OLD Internet Mail & News OPENS as the default Email application!
I have THREE queries and if I have to refer some of them to another
Newsgroup, please advise me.

1. How do I configure to make the OE 5.5 Open although it OPENS from the
desktop but I would like to do it from the IE page.
2. And when I try to send a reply, the following msg appears.
There was an error opening the message.
There is not enough memory.
3. I have one other problem - though minor. I am NOT able to move the ITEMS
on the desktop - what I mean is that I am NOT able to ARRANGE them by name
OR auto arrange or anything at all!Why is it so?

> Kay,
> Thank you for the Email. Yes, I managed to get TCP/IP installed
and
> NOW I am able to go into IE 5.5! However, I also have a broadband
> connection and have been establishing this connection thru a USB Ethernet
> Adapter as this Presario machine didn't come with a vacant PCI slot to put
> in an Ethernet Card - though it came with two USB ports. I use a Black Box
> Adapter. What has happened NOW is that (after the system had multiple
ERRORS
> and one Malware)
> the Device Manager shows the
>
> Intel 82371SB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller with an exclamation
> mark! And the Resources shows it as conflicting with that of the Modem and
> Direct Memory Access Controller.

Disable the modem and then see if you can find a setting for the NIC.

> I am just NOT able to change and if try to REMOVE it (UHC) then the
machine
> simply HANGS! What could be the problem and what should I do - as I can
get
> to NETWORK, configure Adapter and Protocol ONLY after I set this right! I
> keep the dial-up connection only for emergencies and I normally use the
> broadband.
> If I have to refer to another Newsgroup, pls advise me.
> Thanking you.
> Capt K Ripendran
> p.s. I am able to send ALL this from my XP machine!
>

> "Kay Archer" <kayhyphenarcher@mail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
> >> I forgot to ADD. I am also NOT able to connect to INTERNET - both a
> > dial-up
> >> service OR the Broadband!
> > By default, Windows 95 does _not_ install tcp/ip. Look at Network in
the
> > Control Panel and make sure tcp/ip is installed.

Todd

Windows 95 was not released with USB support. It is normal for USB
devices (root hubs and host controlers) to be listed with the "!" or
"?" on them.

If the modem is plug N play remove it and let windows reinstall it. It
should assign useable ports/IRQs.