Question about 1600 memory frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

hybr33d

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am buying a gaming computer tomorrow. This is for Battlefield3.

Below are the specs

CPU: core i5 2500k
mobo: asus p8p67 pro
memory: G-skill ripjaws X 8gb(4gbx2) 1600 CL8
vga: MSI gtx 570 PE/OC

My question is,
Will the 1600 memory frequency be the default frequency the first time I assemble this computer. I am confused because some say that 1333 is the default of sandy bridge motherboards. However, i checked the specification of the asus p8p67 and it supports the following frequency

4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 Hz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

As you can see, 1600 does not have '(O.C.)' beside it. So i assumed it will be the default frequency when I assemble it.

Can anyone please confirm if what I am thinking is correct? Or do i still need to tweak something to achieve 1600 frequency?

It should come up as 1333 which is the spec. 1600 is considered overclock.
Memory modules had the operating parameters stored on the memory modules and the Bios will generally select a SPD set of parameters (ie speed, CL values and Voltage that is stored. The modules also have a XMP profile stored that sets up the parameters for operating at 1600.

Many set the values manually in bios to operate at the rated speed. My self I've had good luck just going into the bios and selecting XMP and profile 1.

With any new build I ALWAYS recommend that you down load Memtest86 ISO and BEFORE loading the operating system boot to the memtest CD and run for 6+ hours to verify that memory is Good - do not want to load operating system if memory does not pass.
http://www.memtest.org/

hybr33d

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

So i just set XMP profile and bios then i should be able to use 1600 memory frequency.

But, does running 1600 frequency requires the CPU to be overclocked as well?? I would like to run my 2500k at stock speeds for the time being since I wont be buying a custom cooler.

Eniwey, thanks for the tip about memtest, ill run a test before going to sleep i Guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.