Question Question about Corsair keyboards

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Hi there. I currently use a K95 Platinum that I have been using for about 3 years. Prior to that I had a K70 that I used for about 2 years. The reason I mention both keyboards is that I have 2 questions.

Through 2 different systems over the course of 6 years, both systems containing different hardware/being a different generation and both using Windows 10. When I power PC up in the morning, although rare, sometimes the keyboard will have its lights on and is getting power, but will not type unless I unplug and replug it back in. I have tried different USB ports, tried both USB 2 and 3 though the issue still happens. I do keep the firmware of keyboards up to date but it does not seem to do anything. This issue happened recently this week and it seems to have brought another annoying issue that is also rare.

The second issue is that this also happens extremely rarely but now it has happened twice this week. When using Ctrl + v to paste something, whether it is in notepad, cmd, my browser etc. It seems using ctrl + v also activates the enter key. I have tried googling around and find nothing on this particular issue. The only thing that makes it stop is restarting my PC. Not even unplug and re-plug the keyboard works. It is quite strange and extremely annoying.

Does anyone know why these things happen and maybe, hopefully can shed some light on how to fix them? Ty

In my old PC I had an MSI motherboard. In my current PC I have a z390 aorus pro. Bios up to date, Windows 10 up to date. Drivers up to date.

Thank you!

Colif

Win 11 Master

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
it shouldn't be a macro as such as if you don't use Icue, it can't be as they don't seem to be saved on the keyboard itself - https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044638712-How-to-Fix-unresponsive-macros-and-remaps

One guys macro key was recording by accident - https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/160504-k95-rgb-mr-button-turns-on-by-itself/
but that wouldn't explain this... just fishing

have you checked sticky keys or accessibility options to see if anything in there?
I never set any macros of any kind so I doubt that would be it. Stick keys no I have not. I’ll def check if it happens again though

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Okay so I can confirm this is not a keyboard issue. Not only does my keyboard do this sometimes, but doing paste regularly with my mouse (Rick click and paste) also does the skip to next line crap when my keyboard is doing it.

I think I am activating this somehow because when I started up my pc, this was not happening. Later on it started to happen so I am guessing I am using a command by accident that I am not aware of.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
I can confirm this is not a keyboard issue. When I first turned on my pc this morning, the issue was not present and now after a couple of hours it is. However, now just by using paste regularly with right click and paste is also skipping to the next line.

It is also not hitting the enter key because when I paste something in my browser, it doesn't automatically go to the website. I think I am activating a command of some sort and I have no idea what I am activating. However, it is extremely frustrating.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i didn't think it was the keyboard

Only things I have at startup are percision x so I can’t control my gpu fan curve and discord. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was discord. Gives me a lot of problems…
have you tried stopping these 2 programs at start to see if it makes any difference. or looking in their options as it could be something in them. EVGA have keyboards, it could be their app messing about.

Only bug I know of associated with the discord app and paste is fact I can't right click paste into the discord app anymore... only started this week. I doubt its the same thing. As for me, it only effects Discord. Not entire PC.

Have you run anti virus or malwarebytes to check its not a weird infection?

its not a driver as it would happen everywhere if it was a driver

if its not a program that loads with windows, or a virus... it has to be something you load after startup.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
i didn't think it was the keyboard

have you tried stopping these 2 programs at start to see if it makes any difference. or looking in their options as it could be something in them. EVGA have keyboards, it could be their app messing about.

Only bug I know of associated with the discord app and paste is fact I can't right click paste into the discord app anymore... only started this week. I doubt its the same thing. As for me, it only effects Discord. Not entire PC.

Have you run anti virus or malwarebytes to check its not a weird infection?

its not a driver as it would happen everywhere if it was a driver

if its not a program that loads with windows, or a virus... it has to be something you load after startup.
I’ve done virus scans yea it’s always the first thing I do if I suspect something happening.

I have looked through all my software and nothing would indicate it takes control of my keyboard inputs. I must be activating something that I’m not aware of windows being able to do.

Colif

Win 11 Master
When I first turned on my pc this morning, the issue was not present and now after a couple of hours it is. However, now just by using paste regularly with right click and paste is also skipping to the next line.

It is also not hitting the enter key because when I paste something in my browser, it doesn't automatically go to the website.
what programs does it happen in?
since its not everywhere?

Colif

Win 11 Master
maybe its the clipboard.

you are on 10 right? see if this helps. Though it would be odd - its just my go to if windows might be to blame

right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

could be your PC is haunted :)

you haven't accidentally pressed insert?

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
maybe its the clipboard.

you are on 10 right? see if this helps. Though it would be odd - its just my go to if windows might be to blame

right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

could be your PC is haunted :)

you haven't accidentally pressed insert?
I’ve tried sfc but it never finds anything and I’m fairly certain I didn’t hit insert cause I know what kind of crap it does.

my pc is haunted you say? I hope whoever is haunting it says hello. I like making friends haha.

Colif

Win 11 Master
how do i figure out what makes the change...
helps to know what its changing...

can use process monitor to trace what uses a process but i don't know if that would show anything. also would require me to know what the process for paste is. Copy is a command itself, but is paste? ctrl V is only one I can find, there is Shift insert but that doesn't really help. (I don't expect answers, I was just thinking outloud)

it seems the clipboard is responsible for it. Its job is to allow transfer of data from one process to another.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/dataxchg/clipboard

i wonder... try turning clipboard syncing off, as if it only happens after a while it could be a corrupted record
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-c436501e-985d-1c8d-97ea-fe46ddf338c6

The simplest fix when clipboard functionality is not working is to open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and select Windows Explorer from the Processes tab, then click "Restart". Be sure there are no file copy processes ongoing, and any open Windows Explorer windows will close, but it should restore your clipboard functions.
https://superuser.com/questions/1222794/how-to-restart-clipboard-service-on-windows-10

I don't see anyway to set it to defaults.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
how do i figure out what makes the change...
helps to know what its changing...

can use process monitor to trace what uses a process but i don't know if that would show anything. also would require me to know what the process for paste is. Copy is a command itself, but is paste? ctrl V is only one I can find, there is Shift insert but that doesn't really help. (I don't expect answers, I was just thinking outloud)

it seems the clipboard is responsible for it. Its job is to allow transfer of data from one process to another.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/dataxchg/clipboard

i wonder... try turning clipboard syncing off, as if it only happens after a while it could be a corrupted record
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-c436501e-985d-1c8d-97ea-fe46ddf338c6

https://superuser.com/questions/1222794/how-to-restart-clipboard-service-on-windows-10

I don't see anyway to set it to defaults.
If it happens again I’ll try turning clipboard off or ending whatever process controls it and will see if it makes a difference.

ctrl v does do paste as a command but something I am doing is making it skip to the next line. I just wish I knew how I was doing it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
this is a long shot... or just a test

I am just curious if its your user.

try making a local account
make it admin
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-20de74e0-ac7f-3502-a866-32915af2a34d

you can go to c:/users/currentuserfolder and copy contents of it onto C:/users/newuserfolder and it will have same access... but i don't know if it would just recreate same problems.

So it could help to just logon without adding access. I don't know if it will make any difference...

@johnbl can you think of any way to work out whats causing problem?

this is a long shot... or just a test

I am just curious if its your user.

try making a local account
make it admin
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-20de74e0-ac7f-3502-a866-32915af2a34d

you can go to c:/users/currentuserfolder and copy contents of it onto C:/users/newuserfolder and it will have same access... but i don't know if it would just recreate same problems.

So it could help to just logon without adding access. I don't know if it will make any difference...

@johnbl can you think of any way to work out whats causing problem?
I would disable microsoft ease of access sticky keys function.
maybe disable the xbox game functions.

I think both can cause issues with keyboard functions.

Reactions: Colif

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Bit of an update. The problem just went away and didn’t happen again for quite some time but since tuesdays windows updates it happened yesterday and this morning.

I can confirm through that clearing the clipboard history fixes the issue. Starting to that it’s a bug with clipboard.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you could try a clipboard alternative
wonders how something can be free and paid at same time.

Only answer I can find for fixing clipboard is the hammer approach - use system restore... but that doesn't help if problem is caused by windows.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
you could try a clipboard alternative
wonders how something can be free and paid at same time.

Only answer I can find for fixing clipboard is the hammer approach - use system restore... but that doesn't help if problem is caused by windows.
If it keeps happening I might look for an alternative. For now I’ll just hope it randomly gets fixed but man is it annoying.