[SOLVED] Question about CPU fan speed

ackoman

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Hi,

I've got a Ryzen 3700x which is using the stock cooler. The fan's max speed is 3650 rpm. I'm contemplating buying a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, which has a max fan speed of 1600 rpm.

Why is the Coolermaster supposed to be so much better, despite having less than 50% of the fan speed? Is it due to the size of the fan and heatsink?

Thanks,

Ackoman

Solution
There are several things that relate to the effectiveness of an air cooler.
I think the stock cooler has a 92mm fan. The surface area of such a fan is about half that of a 120mm fan so it needs to run faster to provide equal airflow.
Another factor is the efficiency of the cooling heat pipes or other heat transfer mechanisms.

Noctua maintains lists of cooler suitability for different processors.
Here is the list for the 3700X:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X-1028

From that list, I would pick the NH-U12s or NH-U12s redux
There are several things that relate to the effectiveness of an air cooler.
I think the stock cooler has a 92mm fan. The surface area of such a fan is about half that of a 120mm fan so it needs to run faster to provide equal airflow.
Another factor is the efficiency of the cooling heat pipes or other heat transfer mechanisms.

Noctua maintains lists of cooler suitability for different processors.
Here is the list for the 3700X:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X-1028

From that list, I would pick the NH-U12s or NH-U12s redux

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Do not focus on the fan's max SPEED. What you DO need is the max AIR FLOW, usually spec'd in CFM. Actually, since you are contemplating replacing not just the fan, but the entire CPU cooler/fan combo, the spec you really need is the max TDW, or total Dissipated Watts. That is the max rate of heat it can remove from the CPU, in Watts. Unfortunately, that spec often is not provided on websites for CPU coolers, which is irritating and wierd!