[SOLVED] Question about CPU upgrades

Freestyle80

Reputable
Aug 11, 2020
Hey Guys,

So I recently upgraded to an i9-9900k from an 8th gen processor and initially I had a lot of problems with BSODs and stuff after I cleaned reapplied and reseated the CPU and cooler it seemed to have stopped for now (nothing for the past 4 hours and gamed for 2).

Cinebench tests also came back positive after failing all the time before.

Was this caused by incorrect application of thermal paste or something? Not sure what I did wrong so was curious as to what you guys think?

Cheers

Solution
No, the 9900k is a very hot chip. It's more likely that the cooler was installed incorrectly or was not mounted all the way. The 9900k will overheat and crash very fast with inadequate cooling.

You'll still have to wait and see if it was truly just the cooler mounting.

Freestyle80

Reputable
Aug 11, 2020
No, the 9900k is a very hot chip. It's more likely that the cooler was installed incorrectly or was not mounted all the way. The 9900k will overheat and crash very fast with inadequate cooling.

You'll still have to wait and see if it was truly just the cooler mounting.
That makes sense, it seems mostly ok for now, running temp is 32-38 and while gaming havent seen it go above 60

Cinebench takes it to 80

I assume those are all normal temps

I think you are good.
You should never reinsert your processor into the socket except to replace it.
If you can easily damage a motherboard socket pin with unpredictable results.
A socket is designed for a max of 15 reinsertions.
Fortunately, it looks like you did ok.

What are the rest of your parts?
You need a very good cooler for a 9900k.
And... a good case with sufficient airflow to feed the cooler.

32-38c. is a reasonable idle temperature and indicates that your cooler is mounted well.

Freestyle80

Reputable
Aug 11, 2020
I think you are good.
You should never reinsert your processor into the socket except to replace it.
If you can easily damage a motherboard socket pin with unpredictable results.
A socket is designed for a max of 15 reinsertions.
Fortunately, it looks like you did ok.

What are the rest of your parts?
You need a very good cooler for a 9900k.
And... a good case with sufficient airflow to feed the cooler.

32-38c. is a reasonable idle temperature and indicates that your cooler is mounted well.

yeah I was just desperate since the BSODs were getting annoying, was pretty scary since I thought I broke something lol. Played games all night though it was all good, no hassle, thank god!

Dont think id have to worry about any more reinsertions anymore it seems haha, next time its probably gonna be brand new system

My mobo is Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi Z390
I got a 240mm AIO cooler by Gamdias, not a well-known brand but its working pretty well for me so far.
and using the Corsair 270R case, its pretty big and managed to created a decent airflow loop around the case, nothing ever gets over 70ish, (only hit 70 in CPU in Gears 5, rest of the games under 60), GPU is also max 67 (RTX 2070, soon 3000-series probably lol)

Guessing it all looks good for now

TRENDING THREADS