[SOLVED] Question about custom PCI-E cables

WiddleyScudds

Reputable
Jan 24, 2017
Hello, drawing a bit of a blank now. I have an RTX 2070 , with an 8+6 connector on it. My power supply has three eight pins labeled (6+2) for PCI-E. I bought two eight pin cables thinking I could just cut the extra two pins off , but my computer couldn't boot like this. Do I need to buy an 8 to 6 pin cable, or a 6 to 6 pin cable? I'm also really curious as to why cutting the two extra pins didn't work out.

Solution
Hi, I have a deepcool DQ1000 with just 1 pcie 6+2 cable. I bought a new 3080 advanced igame and to use the dq1000 i need more pcie cables, a friend had an extra 6+2 pcie cable but it's an antecHCG750 bronze one. Would it be safe to use that?

No. Modular power cables are not universal on the end that connects to the PSU. Which means using the wrong cable has the potential to destroy your PSU and/or whatever it's connected to.

You need exact modular power cables from Deepcool or aftermarket ones that are specified to work with this exact model. The latter is going to be tricky; Deepcool's not a company with a long history of selling quality PSUs (though this one is fine), so without enthusiasts into them...

DSzymborski

Titan
You're not supposed to just cut off the extra pins.

Also, if this is a modular power supply, you can't just buy modular cables like this; you have to buy cables that work for the exact model. Modular cables are not universal on the side that connects to the PSU. Using the wrong modular cables can result in the death of the PSU and/or anything it's connect to incorrectly.

And if this is not a modular power supply, then you need to be way more specific about what the PSU is and what the exact cables you're talking about are. Pretty much any modular cable is going to be 6+2 not a solid block of 8.

Reactions: Archaic59

WiddleyScudds

Reputable
Jan 24, 2017
Thank you for the reply. I've done more research & now I feel very silly for even trying such a thing. I didn't know that PSU pinouts are were not standardized, I guess I'm lucky it didn't turn on. I need cables for a Thermaltake toughpower RGB grand 850w.

DSzymborski

Titan
Thank you for the reply. I've done more research & now I feel very silly for even trying such a thing. I didn't know that PSU pinouts are were not standardized, I guess I'm lucky it didn't turn on. I need cables for a Thermaltake toughpower RGB grand 850w.

Your best bet, honestly, is to contact Thermaltake customer support. Generally speaking, you typically see replacement cables in the market for PSUs more likely to be used by hobbyists (Corsair, SeaSonic, etc). I don't come across Thermaltake PSU cables all that often (while most TT PSUs aren't very good, yours is fine).

Nov 21, 2020
Hi, I have a deepcool DQ1000 with just 1 pcie 6+2 cable. I bought a new 3080 advanced igame and to use the dq1000 i need more pcie cables, a friend had an extra 6+2 pcie cable but it's an antecHCG750 bronze one. Would it be safe to use that?

DSzymborski

Titan

No. Modular power cables are not universal on the end that connects to the PSU. Which means using the wrong cable has the potential to destroy your PSU and/or whatever it's connected to.

You need exact modular power cables from Deepcool or aftermarket ones that are specified to work with this exact model. The latter is going to be tricky; Deepcool's not a company with a long history of selling quality PSUs (though this one is fine), so without enthusiasts into them, there's not a lot of reason for companies to sell those products.

Your best bets are to find the original cable or to contact Deepcool yourself and see if customer service can provide you a method to obtain cables. If not, then your only option will be a new, quality power supply.

Solution