Question about extending my wireless network

cobalts

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
Hi,

I want to put my network printer in a different location in my house away from my other eqiupment, primarily because the printer is noisy. I was wondering what sort of hardware I might need to do this. I was also thinking I could put a network storage device at the same location, whenever I get one.

I'm already running a Linksys wireless router (802.11g, I don't remember the model number) connected to my cable modem. Any advice would be appreciated.

-c

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Any wireless print server should work, though typically that would limit growth. They will generally be single port and allow a single device to connect over the bridge. A workgroup bridge would give you the option to add the NAS later. Any AP that has a "client" mode or some would call it wireless ethernet bridge. If your router is WDS compatible then any brand will do. If not then you want to stay with the same vendor for a workgroup bridge/client device.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Any wireless print server should work, though typically that would limit growth. They will generally be single port and allow a single device to connect over the bridge. A workgroup bridge would give you the option to add the NAS later. Any AP that has a "client" mode or some would call it wireless ethernet bridge. If your router is WDS compatible then any brand will do. If not then you want to stay with the same vendor for a workgroup bridge/client device.

cobalts

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
Thanks for the response. I have a Linksys WRT54G router. Does that mean I should get the Linksys WET54GS5, which is their wireless bridge ethernet bridge with 5 port switch? I know I can get something with just a print server, but I want the flexibility of adding other network devices, like the NAS or maybe a server PC with RAID.

-c