Question Question about full charge capacity on new laptop ?

calvynlee

Reputable
Dec 17, 2018
Recently I bought a Asus ExpertBook B5, and I try to check the battery capacity by running powercfg /batteryreport to generate the battery report.

In the battery report, the installed battery section it shows

Design capacity: 66,000 mwh
Full charge capacity: 65,890 mwh

at the recent usage report, at 100% level, the capacity remaining shows 65,890 mwh

My question is, does this look normal?
Since the full charge capacity is not 66,000 mwh, only shows 65,890 mwh
(I assume it should be show full 66,000 mwh, am I correct?)

calvynlee

Reputable
Dec 17, 2018
thanks for your thought

I just curious as the laptop is a brand new, and I just power up a few time, and is like one week plus from the day I power up.
It look strange for me as it drop 110 mwh already.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It look strange for me as it drop 110 mwh already.

Every single recharge cycle will reduce the battery capacity. How much depends on several factors, including build quality of the battery.

But at current rate, if nothing changes,
1 week - 110 mwh
10 weeks - 1100 mwh
100 weeks (2 years) - 11.000 mwh (~16.6% of battery capacity)

At that rate, it would take 300 weeks (6 years) before battery has lost half of it's total capacity. Though, by that time (more likely sooner), then laptop becomes obsolete and is retired, by buying new, more powerful laptop.

Is it something to worry about? I'd say no. Unless you plan to use the laptop for the next 10 years. And even if you do, and battery happens to die or battery capacity drops very low, laptop can still be used when connected to the mains via charging cable (that's how i'm using my ancient Asus 701, who's battery is long gone).