[SOLVED] Question About Installing a Drive when an HDD has been Added to the Computer

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Hello,

I got a new computer. The C Drive where the Operating System is stored is failing. Prior to this issue being discovered, I installed a 4TB HDD onto the computer and moved a bunch of files on to it.

I was sent another C Drive so I can replace the broken one. My questions are these:

1. What is the best way to install the new C Drive? Can I leave the 4TB HDD in the tower while I am installing the new C Drive with the Operating System on it?

2. Will the system recognize the 4TB HDD when the C Drive's OS has been installed if I leave the 4TB HDD connected?

3. Should I just disconnect the 4TB HDD first and leave it in the cage, and then install the new C Drive and boot up, and after Windows is installed, THEN shut down, reconnect the 4TB HDD, and then boot up again?

I'm just not sure what to do so I don't screw up anything at the BIOS level or anywhere else, so I would really appreciate detailed steps on what to do given my questions above:

Thank you very much.

Solution
The order of reconnect wouldn't matter. Just ensure that the power is off before you do it.

You should confirm that the PC is bootable with NO other drives connected other than this new drive you will be getting. I'd spend a bit of time confirming that all is as expected before connecting any other drive.

When you do connect the 4 TB, you should be able to access the mp3s and documents as before.
Thanks very much for all of your help. I will be careful to follow your instructions to the letter and should be up and running again. If anything goes wrong, I will post here again so will leave this thread open for now.
Hello,

I got a new computer. The C Drive where the Operating System is stored is failing. Prior to this issue being discovered, I installed a 4TB HDD onto the computer and moved a bunch of files on to it.

I was sent another C Drive so I can replace the broken one. My questions are these:

1. What is the best way to install the new C Drive? Can I leave the 4TB HDD in the tower while I am installing the new C Drive with the Operating System on it?

2. Will the system recognize the 4TB HDD when the C Drive's OS has been installed if I leave the 4TB HDD connected?

3. Should I just disconnect the 4TB HDD first and leave it in the cage, and then install the new C Drive and boot up, and after Windows is installed, THEN shut down, reconnect the 4TB HDD, and then boot up again?

I'm just not sure what to do so I don't screw up anything at the BIOS level or anywhere else, so I would really appreciate detailed steps on what to do given my questions above:

Thank you very much.
Does the old disk still function or are you getting some sort of failure.

If it still functions just clone the old disk to the new disk.

Remove old disk and install the new disk.

If you will be doing a "clean install" of Windows onto this new drive you will be getting.........the new drive should be the only drive connected during that procedure.

But we don't know for sure if you will in fact be doing a clean Windows install onto the new drive.

More details needed.

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
If you will be doing a "clean install" of Windows onto this new drive you will be getting.........the new drive should be the only drive connected during that procedure.

But we don't know for sure if you will in fact be doing a clean Windows install onto the new drive.

More details needed.

It is going to be a clean Windows install as Windows is installed on the drive that is currently malfunctioning. The issue is that its storage is slowly being eaten up and no amount of troubleshooting could fix the drive, so they sent me a new drive which, after I install it, will be like setting up a new desktop computer for the first time: I will have to do the first time set up.
I will make sure I disconnect the power and data cables for the 4TB HDD I added while I install the new drive.

But, what are the steps after that to get the 4TB HDD working on the system too? Just shut down the PC after the first time setup and reconnect the 4TB HDD data/power cables and boot up? Does it matter the order I reconnect the HDD cables?? Power then data or data then power? Will I need to reallocate the 4TB HDD and could that make me lose the files I have on it? Thank you again!

If the new drive will have Windows already installed when it arrives, you should be able to do this:

disconnect all other drives.

Connect the new drive and confirm it will boot the PC as expected with it being the only attached drive.

If it won't, you have at least a minor problem to be resolved.

If it does boot OK, shut down and connect the 4 TB drive and reboot. The 4 TB drive should appear as some drive letter other than C.

All the files that have been on the 4 TB should still be there and available to you as before....

I assume the 4 TB contains only data files?

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
If the new drive will have Windows already installed when it arrives, you should be able to do this:

disconnect all other drives.

Connect the new drive and confirm it will boot the PC as expected with it being the only attached drive.

If it won't, you have at least a minor problem to be resolved.

If it does boot OK, shut down and connect the 4 TB drive and reboot. The 4 TB drive should appear as some drive letter other than C.

All the files that have been on the 4 TB should still be there and available to you as before....

I assume the 4 TB contains only data files?

The 4TB contains documents, images, mp3s, etc.

OK. So once I get the new drive up and Windows is installed I can then connect the 4TB drive and reboot? Does it matter which order I reconnect the 4TB's power and data cables?

The 4TB contains documents, images, mp3s, etc.

OK. So once I get the new drive up and Windows is installed I can then connect the 4TB drive and reboot? Does it matter which order I reconnect the 4TB's power and data cables?

The order of reconnect wouldn't matter. Just ensure that the power is off before you do it.

You should confirm that the PC is bootable with NO other drives connected other than this new drive you will be getting. I'd spend a bit of time confirming that all is as expected before connecting any other drive.

When you do connect the 4 TB, you should be able to access the mp3s and documents as before.

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

Thanks very much for all of your help. I will be careful to follow your instructions to the letter and should be up and running again. If anything goes wrong, I will post here again so will leave this thread open for now.

Solution