[SOLVED] Question about PWM fans

rage690

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
i have a DARKFLASH DR12 PRO 3-PACK 120MM ARGB LED PWM FANS WITH FAN HUB AND CONTROLLER.

i have 2 questions ;

1.) it says PWM but i can only seem to adjust its RPM through the remote. i dont know where to connect it so the motherboard can handle the RPMs ? i dont know if that is possible ? at least when i selected this fan i thought PWM means the fans are not fixed at a single RPM and my motherboard can handle the RPMs based on heat. i could definitely be wrong about this, i wanted to ask to be sure.

2.) this fan set have a hub and that hub that looks like it has a 5 pin connector for the motherboard. but i cant find any on the motherboard.
the ASUS B365M-A says it has AURASYNC and it pointed to where it maybe connected but that connection on the motherboard only has 3 pins. where am i supposed to connect my fans for AURASYNC ?

is DARKFLASH DR12 PRO compatible with AURASYNC ?

many thanks guys i apologize for my details not being sufficient as i have not much inept knowledge about these things i can barely connect them.

Solution
From what I see on the maker's web page, these fans have a non-standard 6-wire connection cable that can only be plugged into the controller supplied with them. You cannot plug any of these fans into a standard mobo header.

The Controller has one port designed to connect (I presume via a cable supplied with it) to a mobo THREE-pin ARGB header. The connector on the mobo end of this will look like it had 4 holes but one is blocked off. HOWEVER, your mobo does NOT have this header type. It has only the other lighting header type for plain RGB - see manual p. 1-1 and 1-3, item 12. Do NOT try to plug into that - you would damage your controller! So you can NOT use any mobo feature to control the LIGHTS in your fans.

There appears to be NO...
single PWM fans would connect to PWM headers on the motherboard.

groups following the same profile could connect to a hub
that would then connect to a single motherboard header.
this fan set have a hub and that hub that looks like it has a 5 pin connector for the motherboard
some hubs may connect via direct PWM header or via USB 2.0, etc.

you will have to determine this scenario or just include the EXACT make & model of devices you are using.

1) Specs do not indicate PWM anywhere
https://darkflash.com/tw/product/show.php?num=110#product-feature-1
It looks to me that the controller is connected to power and your remote controls fan speed, a connection to mb header fan is required for mb control.
The mb has Cha fan1 and Cha fan2 you can connect fans here - for 3 you need a splitter each header should have enough current for 3 fans but verify your fan fla to mb fan output. (this way remote does not work for fans)

2 )https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_B365M-A/E15045_PRIME_B365M-A_UM_web.pdf
BE cafeful of different standards and names I wont reasearch but aura sync and aura rgb may not be compatable
These days everyone seems to have their own system and incompatable with others. (different headers and different voltages)

I suggest you mount the internal controller away from the power supply and to not leave computer running I serviced a machine where a shorted fan blew the controller, melted the fan wires and caught the fan on fire ( melted plastic everywhere)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
From what I see on the maker's web page, these fans have a non-standard 6-wire connection cable that can only be plugged into the controller supplied with them. You cannot plug any of these fans into a standard mobo header.

The Controller has one port designed to connect (I presume via a cable supplied with it) to a mobo THREE-pin ARGB header. The connector on the mobo end of this will look like it had 4 holes but one is blocked off. HOWEVER, your mobo does NOT have this header type. It has only the other lighting header type for plain RGB - see manual p. 1-1 and 1-3, item 12. Do NOT try to plug into that - you would damage your controller! So you can NOT use any mobo feature to control the LIGHTS in your fans.

There appears to be NO port on the Controller to make a connection to a mobo fan header. You can NOT arrange to control fan MOTOR speeds from the mobo; you can control their speeds only using the hand-held control box.

Bottom line: your only control of fan motors and lights is by using the hand-held control box.

Last edited:
Solution

rage690

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013

There appears to be NO port on the Controller to make a connection to a mobo fan header. You can NOT arrange to control fan MOTOR speeds from the mobo; you can control their speeds only using the hand-held control box.

Bottom line: your only control of fan motors and lights is by using the hand-held control box.

thanks very much.

1) Specs do not indicate PWM anywhere
https://darkflash.com/tw/product/show.php?num=110#product-feature-1
It looks to me that the controller is connected to power and your remote controls fan speed, a connection to mb header fan is required for mb control.
The mb has Cha fan1 and Cha fan2 you can connect fans here - for 3 you need a splitter each header should have enough current for 3 fans but verify your fan fla to mb fan output. (this way remote does not work for fans)

2 )https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_B365M-A/E15045_PRIME_B365M-A_UM_web.pdf
BE cafeful of different standards and names I wont reasearch but aura sync and aura rgb may not be compatable
These days everyone seems to have their own system and incompatable with others. (different headers and different voltages)

I suggest you mount the internal controller away from the power supply and to not leave computer running I serviced a machine where a shorted fan blew the controller, melted the fan wires and caught the fan on fire ( melted plastic everywhere)

OMG man... my wires are hitting the power supply a bit. the HUB for the fans is the controller ? it has a sticker with Velcro material in it and i placed it about an inch or two away from the PSU. is that ok ? there are cables everywhere some might be hitting the PSU box. nobody warned me about this thanks man.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yeah, that box inside the case with all the fans plugged into it IS the Controller. Actually, two Controllers in one box - one for fan motors, the other for the lights in their frames. SETTING the options of those Controllers is done with your hand-held box. The Controller box gets power for all its devices from a SATA power output connector from the PSU. Having wires from the box close to, or even touching the outside of the PSU, is not a big problem. Only two issues there: is the PSU outside surface HOT enough to damage wire insulation; and too many wires clustered nearby might interfere with air flow into the PSU to cool it.

Thanks for Best Solution.