Question about RAM channels

Jul 10, 2018
I recently built a brand new PC for myself, and thinking 2x4 3000mhz RAM would be enough. Turns out it isnt enough for me and I purchased 2x8 3000mhz RAM. I'm wondering if I should just have the 2x8 sticks in and take out the 2x4 sticks, or have the 2x8 sticks in and also the 2x4 sticks in for 24gb of RAM. Obviously keeping the 2x8 in the red RAM slots and the 2x4 in the black RAM spots on my motherboard, would it still let the memory function in dual channels with eachother? My main thing is performance, and since I already have the 2x4, should I leave it in or take it out as it'll ruin the 2x8 dual channel?

MOTHERBOARD - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS4FVRN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have a ryzen 1600.

Solution

Historically AMD has been behind (far behind) Intel in handling multi-channel memory. I don't know if this is still the case.

By default, Intel interleaves memory addresses. Memory addresses within an interleave set rotate through the channels on that set. Most consumer desktops have two channels, so up to two interleave sets may be created, 2-way and 1-way. 2-way sets will have every other address to the same channel. High end desktops have four channels, so up to four interleave sets may be created, 4-way, 3-way, 2-way, and 1-way.

Sets are created from the total installed capacity on each channel and the rank configuration on each channel. The process is a bit more complicated than I wish to get into right now.

Peak memory performance is reached when all channels have the same installed capacity, when all channels have the same number of ranks, when all channels have the same DIMM configuration, and when all ranks are the same size. It is not essential that all DIMMs be identical for multi-channel memory to work well, but it is recommended.

The best case scenario here would be if your 4GiB DIMMs were single rank, and the 8GiB DMMs were dual rank. If that is the case, you'll have 3x 4GiB ranks on each channel, which is perfect. If the 4GiB DIMM is dual-rank (unlikely for DDR4) you'll still have 2x2GiB ranks and 2x4GiB ranks, not perfect but still just fine.

Solution