Question about the core 2 duos.

Kamon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Hey everyone.

I've been reading over a few articles about Intel's new processor line (because, quite frankly, I've become obsessed.) and something caught my eye.

Now I know there's a lack of "conroe" support in motherboards currently, but I remember reading something about Intel releasing a quad-core versions of the core 2 duos later on. Now, I don't know if this is bogus info or not, but I was wondering... Will the mobo's with conroe support be able to support the quad-core architecture, or will we have to wait for later models? Or is the whole quad-core dealie part of the conroe package?

Just a little curious.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Gigabyte GA 965P-DQ6 and Asus P5W DH Deluxe say they will support kentsfield, however the asus is based on the older (enthusiast) i975x chipset whilst the gigabyte is based on the newer but midrange i965 chipset. also with the gigabyte its has special features (quad cooling, 12 phase power etc) but you cannot change the multiplier on of the cpu even if you use the extreme edition x6800, the chipset doesnt support it.

the gigabyte and asus motherboards supporting kentsifeld:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Compare.asp?CPID=17162&CPID=17218

remember kentsfield is supposed to be an extreme eidition model released in Q1 2007 that means that you will probably not be able to change the multiplier if you bought kentsfield and the gigabyte mobo. but i suppose you should just get a motherboard your comfortable getting and not worrying about kentsfield yet as therell be better motherboards for kentsfield when its relesed.

Kamon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Aaah... So I guess I will have to wait longer. ;) No big deal, I'm in no rush.

Thanks for the info.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Hey everyone.

I've been reading over a few articles about Intel's new processor line (because, quite frankly, I've become obsessed.) and something caught my eye.

Now I know there's a lack of "conroe" support in motherboards currently, but I remember reading something about Intel releasing a quad-core versions of the core 2 duos later on. Now, I don't know if this is bogus info or not, but I was wondering... Will the mobo's with conroe support be able to support the quad-core architecture, or will we have to wait for later models? Or is the whole quad-core dealie part of the conroe package?

Just a little curious.

That's a damn good question, and I wish I had a damn good answer.

I've been through about 6 intel motherboards, 2 in the last year. Back before the craziness of voltage regulating stuff and other voltage related items, my motherboard would be just fine with an upgrade of CPUs. Nowadays, it's almost hit and miss, whether your board will support the latest and greatest offerings.

Take the 955x. It was a mid-range chipset along with 975x. I got a 955x because my 945x couldn't run my extreme edition chip (the lowly 840EE). So, I got the 955x, hoping it would be useful for Core Duo and Core 2 Duo. Well...NOPE. Core Duo was only for certain 478 and 479 sockets, which killed me, and Core 2 Duo won't run on anything other 965x and certain 975x boards.

It's the one thing I really dislike about upgrading and building my systems.

Kamon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Hey everyone.

Just a little curious.

That's a damn good question, and I wish I had a damn good answer.

I've been through about 6 intel motherboards, 2 in the last year. Back before the craziness of voltage regulating stuff and other voltage related items, my motherboard would be just fine with an upgrade of CPUs. Nowadays, it's almost hit and miss, whether your board will support the latest and greatest offerings.

Take the 955x. It was a mid-range chipset along with 975x. I got a 955x because my 945x couldn't run my extreme edition chip (the lowly 840EE). So, I got the 955x, hoping it would be useful for Core Duo and Core 2 Duo. Well...NOPE. Core Duo was only for certain 478 and 479 sockets, which killed me, and Core 2 Duo won't run on anything other 965x and certain 975x boards.

It's the one thing I really dislike about upgrading and building my systems.

The core duos? Weren't those for laptops or something?

Oh well, you've been around a bit more than I have. I've been stuck with my same scoket 478 technoligy since.. about '02. It's so depressing. Other than that, I've only built AMD systems for other people.

I'd have to agree with you about the upgrading issues. Is trying to make sure everything is capatable. The socket, FSB, ram speed, blah blah blah... But, to be completely honest, I'd rather spend hours researching MoBo spesifications rather than trying to install those darn heatsinks for Socket A processors. I've gotten calouses comparable to a guitar player's on my fingers. Pain like that sticks with you.

Anyways, back on topic. Aren't the core 2 duos running on socket 775? Correct me if I'm wrong, though. I just want to get this sorted out before I build my new computer by the end of this year. My biggest concern is getting the right mobo, because everything else is pretty cut-and-dry. But, you know the computer industry, the whole "HURRY UP AND WAIT" marketing. It really makes you jumpy. :p

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
yeah i hate it. should i buy or should i buy next week when prices go down. if i would have bought my computer last week i wouldn't have saved 200 bucks on an all in wonder video card.

im just wondering if i should get intel or amd motherboard and processor. im thinking of going with amd because the prices are low and im still using a socket A motherboard and intergrated graphics. also since amd has the am2 motherboard it will be out for quite a while because it is newer than lga 755 socket T mobo.

but then i have another idea about when amd releases there cpu's they will cost so much and ill probably wont buy the new ones they make to catch up with intel's core 2 duo.

then i think of the price of the core 2 mobo and the e6600. is it really worth it?

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Gigabyte GA 965P-DQ6 and Asus P5W DH Deluxe say they will support kentsfield

I've gone with the Gigabyte because of all the general features, and with the promise of proper bios updates to come to allow better overclocking in the future. I'm expecting quad and dual core to be around sometime, that's part of the charm for the DQ6, compatability.

But to be fair, I expect it to look outdated and pants in comparison to motherboards that will be released over the next 3 months, in the run up to quad core. So the decision really is, how long you are willing to wait to get the best.

Kamon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Personally, I wouldn't know. I suppose AMD would be best to stick with right now. The prices for the new Intel chips are obviously only do-able by enthusiasts, and/or power users. I'm just aiming to build the best computer on the market later this year, regaurdless of price. Obviously, the best choice right now is Intel.

The performance race is getting faster, though, so keeping up might be a bit harder than I had contemplated. ;)