Question for the floor, installing LTE on a custom desktop PC build?

Jun 21, 2018
Full disclosure, I am new to this so feel free to answer however dumbed down you'd like.

I am trying to figure out how I can add LTE to my new PC build from this year (details on the build to follow if pertinent to answer this question). Basically the goal is to figure out what hardware and software is required to allow my PC to function like a windows laptop that comes with LTE compatibility. I have done some research and I know that some laptops that have optional lte require a PCI or M.2 WWAN card to be installed in order for it to talk to the LTE signal. However all of these devices have an existing sim card slot, which is obviously required to talk to the wireless network. If there is a way to accomplish this, I intend on using Verizon service as it is the fastest in my area (and I may or may not be a VZW employee and get a great discount on cell service).

For those of you who will tell me to use a hotspot or jetpack to accomplish this, the goal is to get around the hotspot or tethering restrictions that are inherit with all Verizon unlimited plans. When using any kind of tethering or hotspot you only get LTE speeds for the first 15 Gigs, after which its throttled to 600 Kbps. However with phones, tablets, and LTE compatible laptops you can use all the LTE you want and will only be slowed after high use if there is network congestion in your area (which should not be a problem in my area).

Its possible this is a problem that has already been solved, and I am just not searching the correct terms or recognizing my answer so any recommendations or links are appreciated.

I know I will need a WWAN card (hopefully this is plug right in to one of my available PCI or M.2 slots on my mother board)

I don't know how to get a sim card into this system.

I have seen devices that are marketed that are USB 2.0 to M.2 with a sim card slot, but what i gather is that these are more for diagnostics on these WWAN card, not for consistent use. Not to mention they would be limited by USB 2.0 transfer speeds (which may or may not be a problem as Verizon LTE in my area only ever reaches 100-140 Mbps, which is far lower than 480 Mbps that USB 2.0 is suppose to be able to do)

something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/OLEY-Adapter-Express-Interface-Degree/dp/B01FCU61TG/ref=pd_sbs_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01FCU61TG&pd_rd_r=3S7RS55JDCYPJXQ2A9Q9&pd_rd_w=U4ueS&pd_rd_wg=mkTuU&refRID=3S7RS55JDCYPJXQ2A9Q9&th=1

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RU39A0869&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Accessories+-+Motherboards-_-9SIA2RU39A0869&gclid=CjwKCAjwma3ZBRBwEiwA-CsblNgtvBxziQbuItOMi-dyibg7Wp4fOjQ94sJyk44VqGhZLxzXy8A_nxoClyUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
I'm not too familiar with specifically "how" a given device is deemed to be the source device vs one tethered.

Given the (sole) purpose of a router, is to connect other devices..... It could fall one way or another.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I don't have an answer for you, specifically..... but I have a bit of an alternative that may work.

Routers exist with SIM slots.
https://www.asus.com/Networking/4GN12/

So you could have a router, with LTE, and then either ethernet, or Wireless to your desktop.

Jun 21, 2018

Do you know if this avoids the tethering throttling?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I don't know for sure.... but I don't see how it could be deemed any different that what you're proposing.

I would assume, someone who may or may not be an employee of VZW ;) could perhaps track down the verbiage for what is deemed "tethering" to clarify with 100% certainty.

Those routers, I believe, are specifically available for rural areas etc - and various ISPs worldwide do use them or something similar..... So I would imagine they operate/are identified differently than a "tethering" device.

Jun 21, 2018

That is a fair point... the hard part is the answer won't be in the wording of their policy (as I am fairly certain this would fall under the description of tethering) but on how they monitor that type of use.

the trick is to get Verizon to see this my PC as just another connected PC or tablet. these devices have specific device ID's that dictate how the network interacts with the device. that's why I was trying to stay as close to mimicking a laptop with OEM LTE as possible.

But it does seem that I have a bit more research to do on those routers before... thanks for the input!

Any device that is not a phone will not have the correct IMEI or MEID number to match the phone that Verizon expects. To tamper with something that that I'm sure breaks a bunch of rules, not just with the carrier but with the government since they control the wireless spectrum and devices that can go on it, and falsifying information to the FCC is a no-no.

Using a data pack or a wireless router is not "tethering" but those things will have their own terms of agreements as far as data speeds.