aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
Hi, so I own a Corsair 5000D Midi-Tower, my CPU is being cooled by Noctua NH-D15 and I have a 2060 Super installed.

I am considering upgrading, either to a 3090 or 4090 once it comes out, but since their dimensions are similar I started looking around to see

As this image will show

View: https://imgur.com/a/n5k5ic9

There is definitely not a lot of space above the current card and the Noctua, and i am too inexperienced to know where exactly GPUs connect to the motherboard as an industry standard

If the connector is in the middle of all cards, obviously i don't have the space and need to figure out a new way to cool my CPU; but if the connector is at the very top of the card, it makes no difference as there is plenty of space between the card and the PSU

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
Motherboard spacing is not an exact standard.
Some motherboard makers placed the cpu socket too close to the pcie slot and it would conflict with the back plate which is present on some graphics cards.
That is one reason why the NH-D15s was developed, it offset the cooler a bit for more room.

Noctua maintains a data base of compatibility for motherboards.
https://ncc.noctua.at/motherboards

I don't think that any graphics card would need a power connector that would extend past the backplate

Reactions: cAllen

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
That would be a Gigabyte X570 Gaming X

Although it is not the width but the height of the thing that worries me; it says a 2060 Super has 35 mm of Height whereas say a 3090 has 61 mm of Height

If both have the... i'm not sure what it's called, but basically the part of the GPU that connects directly into the Motherboard.

If both have that placed at the top of the card, the lack of clearance between the GPU and Noctua in its current configuration is fine

But if it's in say, the center of the 3090 - then there's no way it will fit unless i remove the Noctua and go with a different cooling solution

Cards of today come in what I call widths.
I think that is what the 35 and 61mm is referring to.
Namely how many slots do they cover up.
It starts with the pcie slot in which the card is mounted and goes from there.
A big card these days might be 3 slots wide, some even 4.
That mainly impacts what add in cards you might plan on using.

Regardless, the power connector will be placed either at the end of the card or on top of the card.
The height of a normal card will be around 115mm

When you know the make/model of your prospective 3090 or 4090 such dimensions should be available.

I would not be worried with what you have.
Your main concern will be having a suitable psu.