Question on Gigabit ethernet

PuddingPacks

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Hi I'm looking to upgrading to gigabit Ethernet and I'm curious on how to do it. I'm also curious as to if your wireless plan has to allow it for you be able to make the upgrade? And if they do let you, why don't ISPs make you pay for that capability. Links to good routers and Ethernet cables are also very welcome.

If the information is needed, my ISP is Comcast (yeah it's terrible)\

Thanks in advance for your time.

Solution
Ethernet refers solely to the link between two devices by twisted pair copper cabling (though in some cases it can be run over fibre etc). WiFi is not ethernet, and nor is the link from your modem to your ISP.

Your ISP has no control over your internal network, beyond charging you more for a router with gigabit ports.

Basically, if both ends support gigabit (your PC should, your router might), that segment will run at gigabit speeds.
Ethernet refers solely to the link between two devices by twisted pair copper cabling (though in some cases it can be run over fibre etc). WiFi is not ethernet, and nor is the link from your modem to your ISP.

Your ISP has no control over your internal network, beyond charging you more for a router with gigabit ports.

Basically, if both ends support gigabit (your PC should, your router might), that segment will run at gigabit speeds.

Solution

PuddingPacks

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

Also, does gigabit Ethernet effect how fast you connect or download things from servers outside of you house?